Help

The VENT

Sub plan woes.

>

kahluablast

Sub plan woes.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Technology teacher here. I had to take a planned day off. I had someone pick up my job weeks ago and I had posted that it was a tech position in a lab, so I was pretty excited that someone actually picked it up.

Still working on getting routines in place for the younger kids, so I spent a bit of time on my activities and plans for the day. I checked last night even to see if the sub was still there, and they were. I stopped by the school on my way to the training and made sure the computer was one with sites they needed up so that wouldn't be an issue.

Yep. They canceled. And I am pretty sure they knew they couldn't do it. They should have known for weeks, so why it wasn't canceled earlier. I hate spending time on something for no reason. If no one had picked it up, I wouldn't have bothered doing anything. Teachers could have brought kids and done their own thing, or something I left, or not brought them. No biggie.

But the fact I spent a good amount of time working on something that was fairly simple to lead really annoys me.

kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 09-19-2019, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm sorry! Wasted time (especially when our profession demands so much time already) is so frustrating.
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

Janylynne

Old 09-19-2019, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Frustrating!!
Janylynne is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Do you know their name?
Old 09-19-2019, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In my district, we can non-request subs. I would make sure that person never was able to choose to come in for me again. I hope you can use your plans in the future.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-19-2019, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That is really frustrating! Any chance you can save those plans for another day if you need a sub and one picks up?

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 09-19-2019, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would be blocking that sub if I had that right. Very rude.

We always had to have emergency sub plans to use if we were unable to write plans. Would your plans work for something like that?
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 09-19-2019, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

As a sub, I know it's frustrating for teachers when subs back out of scheduled jobs, and it isn't something I do often. I do get sick from time to time, but when it happens, I try to be considerate by letting the teacher and school know as quickly as possible.

It does work both ways, though. I can't begin to count the number of times I've accepted a job, sometimes days or weeks in advance, and had it canceled the night before. At times I've turned down a job request because I'm already booked, only to have the original assignment canceled at the last minute. On occasion, I've had jobs canceled a half hour before they're scheduled to start. I could go on and on with similar stories, and to be honest, I'm sick and tired of this nonsense and the lies that sometimes go with it.

Subs need to be considerate, and should only cancel when absolutely necessary. At the same time, I wish schools would be more considerate to subs.

Last edited by c6g; 09-19-2019 at 07:20 PM..
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-19-2019, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This person wasnít ill. Starting this year for some weird reason, retired teachers who sub can only do five days a month. This guy is a retired sub and had to cancel jobs to not run over his days. Certainly he knew before this morning that he had five days this month.

It really is causing the school issues. At my school 90%of our subs are retired teachers. One of our favs started a year with a long term position and now canít work the rest of the school year. It is a hard pill for us right now.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 09-19-2019, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The same thing happens to our tech teacher.

I posted all my district office meetings last year the first month of school. the same person picked them all the next day-I am thinking, "Good, that's done". Well the next before or morning of each one-she cancelled. By the last 2 meetings I cancelled the job and then recreated them and filled them with another sub I prearranged with. Then I asked the secretary to block that sub from my room.

Its completely irresponsible. Subbing isnt like other temp job-you cant just cancel last minute-there a tiny humans who are depending on you who WILL show up and need you.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 09-20-2019, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Starting this year for some weird reason, retired teachers who sub can only do five days a month.
What's the reasoning behind this, I wonder? Where I live, most schools couldn't possibly fill their sub positions without relying heavily on retired teachers. Is it so that they don't run short of subs at the end of the year? Here, retired teachers can work up to 2/3 time without impacting their pensions but preferred subs have often worked their maximum number of days by March so it gets difficult to cover sub needs at the end of the year. Lots of teachers take unused personal days at the end of the year so schools around here definitely have issues getting those covered.

If this is a new policy, perhaps he didn't realize that the rules had changed until your sub coordinator contacted him.

Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-20-2019, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
That is really frustrating! Any chance you can save those plans for another day if you need a sub and one picks up?
This is what I do. Over half of the time, the sub that's supposed to be doing my job gets pulled to cover an absent classroom teacher. I used to spend hours trying to make meaningful plans because I'm out for district/school stuff fairly often (at least 1-2x per month). Now I make very generic plans that are just extra basic practice for kids. If it happens, great, if not, no big deal. When the sub is pulled, I just store the plans/materials in my cabinet for the next time.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

1tired

That would be really frustrating to me too...
Old 09-21-2019, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We have a very small, but responsible sub pool. I have no choice but to go to school if 1 is not available. I always have to plan absences around the sub schedules far in advance. I am not sure what they'd do if they couldn't find someone. Maybe rearrange classes. IDK
1x I had an admin that did not like the only sub I could find. She was OK..It was his issue. He cancelled her for days in a row, but had another to cover. I never explained it to her, but felt horrible he did that to her. It put me in a bad spot because she probably would have approached him and it'd be like "she said...."
They do not pay subs enough here to attract subs. They don't back them either if a kid does something really bad. They blame them.
The subsystem is not useful here because we can't put our job out there. We have to find someone who agrees ( usually as a favor) and then enter it.
I think it works both ways. Neither should cancel unless it is an extreme emergency. I remember when you could call in sick and it was the P or secretary's job to find you a sub! Different place...different system.
1tired is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 09-23-2019, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I understand your frustration about having the sub cancel at the last minute, but it works both ways. I once drove 18 miles to a school and when I walked into the school office, the secretary told me not to sign in. It turned out the teacher knew she her jury duty was cancelled the previous Friday and asked a secretary to cancel to sub job. No explanation on why she couldn't do it herself. They didn't need a sub anyplace else in the district and they wouldn't give me any compensation. I had no option but to get in my car and drive 18 miles home. Yes, I was a little bit annoyed.
Nietzsche is online now   Reply With Quote