Help

The VENT

Strike surprise! Update

>

1tired

Strike surprise! Update
Old 09-21-2019, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Many of us had spent the night near the main strike spots because of driving distances. On the morning of the strike, I got a call from a friend who told me that the district had finally agreed to the union's demands at like 1 or 2 am.
I can't believe it took those morons over 100 days to not come up with a solution, but once they knew no1 was showing up for work, the money magically appeared early the morning of the planned strike..
We were not even asking for that much. We have some new people who are eligible for food stamps, WIC, and medicaid for their kids. This is a public school district in a fairly well off state.
So....we never walked the picket line at all.We went back to work with a delayed start. It had been a stressful few weeks leading up to the strike.
I would advise all public school teachers to strike if needed. Districts in many places "cry poor!" when they have stashes of $.
Now I need to work on "letting go" because our district got kind of hateful. A lesson for all of us. Don't believe a word of it when a district says they can't afford something you need or believe in.....

1tired is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-21-2019, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am glad that it was resolved, but sorry that you all had to experience such upheaval to get what you need and deserve.

Move forward. Yay!
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

1tired

Thanks, Kaluablast!
Old 09-21-2019, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am happy too now. I never realized how nasty strikes could get. Yay! is right!

broomrider

Long ago
Old 09-21-2019, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I worked in Los Angeles years after a teacher's strike. There were teachers still not speaking to each other depending whether they went or strike or worked.

I'm very glad none of the teachers there had to make that decision.

There are companies that work with entities to craft messages when a labor action is looming. They work on the public and the union members to undermine and sway opinion.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

1tired

Broom Rider
Old 09-21-2019, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do understand how fortunate we were. I saw a strike before where some teachers and subs crossed the picket line. This time, they decided it was best to just shut down all of the schools.
Since we have behaviorally disordered kids now in every classroom, it would have been a nightmare if subs were running the school and we do not have enough subs in the district anyways.
The last strike ( yrs ago) in a nearby city, had absolutely crazy things happen with subs in rooms. Some were very funny to teachers!
An LA strike would be huge. I was very much afraid of staff disagreements turning into grudges too. Decisions were made weeks in advance. Some would walk the picket line, others make calls and send letters and emails. Others would not do a darn thing other than vacation. At least, it did not come down to having to see it.
The entities ( expensive ones) crafted some nasty messages. They now are trying to get people to opt out of paying union dues. They are high here too. I hope some are not greedy enough to do it. I won't be there much longer, but w/out a union, they won't even have a break during the day.

Yes, they had the money to hire out of state lawyers and negotiators.

KetchupChips

Old 09-21-2019, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

So glad it got resolved before striking! Youíre right, school districts always cry no money when it comes to teacher pay. But thereís always money for people above principals. Our union also provides lawyers, in case youíre sued. Iíve also had help when a parent wanted to force me to medically monitor their child. Iím not a nurse! Union representative came to the meeting and said if the school went forward with this, they would file unfair labor practice the next day! I didnít have to say a word at the meeting. I would never teach without a union (if itís an option). Anyway, happy for you!
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Dues $?
Old 09-21-2019, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Iím on the executive board for our local union. How much are your dues? Ours are $69/month.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

1tired

Ketchups
Old 09-22-2019, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks! Unions are needed w/ some districts. I am not sure why. I worked in a nonunion state before and teachers were treated w/ the utmost respect and because of cola, I think I actually made more there.
The benefits were much better there too, but it was a district that needed teachers.
The 1 I am in now does not mind kicking you to the curb because they have relatives looking for jobs. Sad, but true!
Yeah, I am not a nurse either and would not want to be put in that situation either. It is good you had a union. They say our relationship is adversarial here.
It is sad people just do not treat employees like they'd want to be treated. Yeah, they did have $ for some big central office raises I heard!

1tired

Tgb
Old 09-22-2019, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I can't tell you exact, but I am pretty sure it is over 150 bucks a month over 9 months.