Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Mosquitos

>

Sprite

Mosquitos
Old 09-21-2019, 06:56 PM

I have the worst hives from getting a couple of mosquito bites. I just realized a few years ago that I知 allergic to mosquito bites. I知 not just getting a little reaction to the bite.. I知 literally getting hives from it.

I知 miserable.

Does this happen to anyone else? What do you do about it?

Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 09-21-2019, 07:22 PM

Put some ice (wrapped in thinnest cloth)on the bites and even on the hives. Only keep on for about 20 min. Keep it off for awhile, then repeat if needed. Take Benadryl if you have it. It will help with the hives (but it may make you sleepy). Hope you feel better soon.
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote
oic

oic

Old 09-21-2019, 08:27 PM

I used to be so grateful that mosquitoes never used to bother me. 的 guess my blood doesn稚 taste good to them, I壇 joke. But apparently there痴 a new mosquitoes here that bites during even the day time (saw it in the news. It痴 a black and white striped one) and they have been biting me!

What I read was that the skin reactions have been worse from these new mosquitoes because our immune system is not used to them.

Mine cleared up relatively fast without doing anything special, but I read something of a remedy and will try it the next time I get one. Believers say to use the product New Skin Liquid Bandage on the bites to stop the itching and start the healing faster. (More than you need to know, but I was using the product on a blister I had on my thumb. Conventional bandages kept falling off due to hand washing, so I happened to be reading customer reviews for New Skin and this is where I read about using it for mosquito bites.)

Not knowing about that remedy, taking a very hot shower and letting the water run over the bites seemed to stop the itchy feeling for some reason, for me.

Ima Teacher

Old 09-21-2019, 10:05 PM

I知 also allergic to mosquito bites. Allergy shots have reduced my reactions, but I still get golf ball sized welts. I use Benadryl cream. Cold water helps the itching stop, so I値l take a cool shower if I have a lot of bites. I値l take Benadryl pills (50mg) before bed. (Just don稚 mix the cream and the pills.)
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 09-22-2019, 03:38 AM

If you see it early, taking a hot spoon and put it on the bite. The warmth will kill the protein that is injected and makes you itch.

Those proteins are what is causing the allergic reaction.

choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 09-22-2019, 07:19 AM

You should talk to your doctor. If you are getting actual hives, you may be having an anaphylactic reaction. I don't know if an anaphylactic reaction to mosquito bites can ever be severe enough to be life-threatening, but your doctor would know and could prescribe an epipen, if necessary.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 09-22-2019, 01:53 PM

I have the same reaction. I just got bit on the side of my foot this week, and it swelled up and rubbed against my shoe for days. It was itchy, but also incredibly painful. I kept putting ice packs on it. A week later, the bump is smaller and still itchy, but the swelling and pain is gone. Based on previous experience, I know the red mark will take weeks to fade. Sorry this happens to you, too. It is miserable.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote