Help

ARCHIVE

folder

>

Mrs.B

folder
Old 07-15-2008, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are you using for hw and notes home? In the past I taugh 2nd and assigned hw every night and asked parents to sign the folder. Students were rewarded for getting the folder signed. In K, I don't think I'll be sending home as much graded work. Will sending home a weekly folder be enough? What are your thoughts?

Mrs.B is offline   Reply With Quote

Katybee

Old 07-15-2008, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I send home a daily folder. It has their behavior calendar in it, so parents can know everyday how their behavior was. (That calendar also has important dates on it).

I use a plastic folder, and they lasted all year (unlike the regular paper folders). Last year, I got them at Office Depot for 50 cents--a worthwhile investment. I haven't looked this summer yet.

I put in a zippered pouch for notes from parents and money--so I knew where to check every morning. Parents used them a lot--for sending lunch $, and notes--Zoe lost her homework...please send more--Hannah has a cold, please make sure she wears her jacket--absence excuses--etc. Kinder parents tend to communicate a lot more than parents of older kids (probably because 5 yo's generally don't pass on messages themselves), so I found the daily folder very helpful.

You can also use them to send home leveled readers--tends to keep them safe--more so than just having them randomly thrown in backpacks.

Look for threads about Bee books or Moose books--there are lots of good ideas/reasons to do daily folders.
Katybee is offline   Reply With Quote

kid_at_heart

Old 07-15-2008, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I send my folders home every night, but do not include any sort of behavior chart or signature page. Since the folder goes home every day parents can easily send a note in with their child, and I can send one home just as easily if needed.

As far as homework goes, we only send home one page a week at my school. Homework goes home on Wednesday, and must be returned by Friday. If it is not completed the student spends center time on Friday doing the work that should have been done at home.
kid_at_heart is offline   Reply With Quote

interested

For folders you send
Old 07-15-2008, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

home with your students, do you make them responsible for getting the notes, money, etc. out of them to hand to you OR do you go through each child's folder?
interested is offline   Reply With Quote

Strawberry_K5

Old 07-15-2008, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I send home a binder nightly. At the beginning of the year, I check the binders as the students unpack and line up for the restroom. After (estimated) two or three weeks, they are responsible for checking their binder. (Of course, I know which students have a difficult time remembering to check their binder, so I go behind them and check.)

In their binder I have a place for home-to-school communication, homework/reading, classwork, and behavior. Their behavior chart stays in their binder and is supposed to be signed or initialed. At the end of the month, I file the behavior chart and use it for report cards. It has also been used during conferences.

Strawberry_K5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Strawberry_K5

Old 07-15-2008, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is similar to what the students put their binders in every morning. I number each "binder holder" (which corresponds with their class number). They turn in their class work on top of their binder. At the end of the day, they can easily pack up their own binder. Just thought I would share! I'm always looking for new, more effective ways to organize in my classroom.

http://www.oppictures.com/singleimag...B86028_1_1.JPG
Strawberry_K5 is offline   Reply With Quote

linderbug

how we do it...
Old 07-15-2008, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our school purchases agendas for every student. Last year we even got our very own kindergarten agendas! I make a note about behavior every day (usually just smiley faces) and parents are expected to sign...if they have any notes or concerns there's a place for them to write. I sent home graded/finished papers as we were done with them. Our pre-K teacher across the hall does folders (they didn't get agendas) and she has them bring their folder back every day. It helps the routine for them to know they have to take home and bring back a folder every day.
linderbug is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach4Kidz

First Grade Folder
Old 07-15-2008, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have a fish theme in my room so we our F.I.S.H. (family involvement starts here) folder that goes home everyday. These folders are similar to the MOOSE binders, but they are a little simplified for the younger grades. They also sound similar to the katybee post. I use a plastic folder with prongs which hold a small plastic, heavy duty, ziploc baggie for lunch money/field trip money, and a divider folder in the middle for important info for either behavior notes/weekly newsletter, and a handful of lined paper behind the divider. The paper is used for parents to communicate with the teacher, telling a variety of things from doctors appt. or someone isn't feeling very well, or even to say hi and see how things are going. The folder part in the front is for school letters/handouts and the part in the back is for kids to take home work from school. It works pretty well and it doesn't take long to flip through them real quick in the mornings!
Teach4Kidz is offline   Reply With Quote

lablover3

homework and folder
Old 07-15-2008, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have a COYOTE binder similar to a moose notebook. Pretty much the same that everyone else has mentioned except for the homework. I include a monthly homework calendar (modified from Kellyskindergarten.com) The kids are responsible for completing homework Monday-Thursday. The parents love that they have something to discuss with their child--it really does not take long to complete the work each day. I love it that it is there for a month at a time.
lablover3 is offline   Reply With Quote

bikerbug

Friday Folder
Old 07-16-2008, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I send home a Friday folder. It is a large manila envelope that is decorated by the kids then laminated. Their papers fit nicely inside. I have a 30 slot mail center that I put their papers in throughout the week. On Fridays, I add the school newsletter as well as my classroom newsletter and everything goes home on Friday (or the last school day of the week). The folders come back on Monday. Works great!

bikerbug is offline   Reply With Quote

flora

dragon books
Old 07-18-2008, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have a white binder for each child with a picture of our dragon mascot inserted in the clear cover. Inside, I have a calendar that we put dots on each day to show what color the child is on (schoolwide management system), a pencil pouch for notes/money, a folder with pockets that say "to be LEFT at home" and "come RIGHT back", a school calendar, my kindergarten handbook and some absence excuse notes in the back. My dragon books go home daily. I love them and so do my parents--helps to keep all of us organized!
flora is offline   Reply With Quote

txtchr6

folders
Old 07-18-2008, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

In kindergarten, I still send home the folder everyday even though there isn't homework daily. (It goes home on Monday and there is something to do daily - but its turned in on Fridays). There is a behavior calendar for the parents to initial nightly, and they need to check nightly for papers that have been done in class and for notes from the office. It works well.
txtchr6 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

Old 07-18-2008, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

katybee,

yesterday i saw the plastic type folders for 32 cents or something like that. it was their back to school price, not a weekly sale price.

that is a good idea for the daily folders because regular folders tend to take a beating.
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote