Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

daycare

>

Mrs.B

daycare
Old 07-15-2008, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone work at a daycare? My school has morning and extended care. We have many working parents. How's your communication with parents? One parent usually drops off while the other picks up.

Mrs.B is offline   Reply With Quote

Amy L

communication
Old 07-15-2008, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am not currently teaching, but my son attends preschool, half days. The center uses a daily sheet, which parents fill their portion at dropoff. The teachers then fill out their part later in the day. Full day kids get theirs at the end of the day; we got ours the next morning, but always talked at pickup time. Also, they do a daily What in Our World, which explained what activities were done in each curricular area; language, math, science, etc. It's been a good system.
Amy L is offline   Reply With Quote

itsmekylee

Old 07-15-2008, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I work at a private preschool and we have communication notebooks that we write in back and fourth with the parents. We are required to write 3 times a week about daily events, behavior, ect. But the parents read and write back its a great way to communicate considereing some children get to school before me and leave after me. Also works well because we have alot of broken families these days and you can have record of what you told each parent. The notebooks can be read at school or taken home but the parents do know if they notebook is not at school they could miss information we as a school encorage a great deal of parent involvement. I would recommened the communication notebooks to your school.
itsmekylee is offline   Reply With Quote

rolltidegirl

Communication
Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach Pre-K at a private daycare. We send home a daily sheet that highlights our events that day, any craft we made & upcoming events (field trips, etc.) It also tells how the child ate that day and about their behavior that day (we have a card system). We put it in their cubby at the end of each day.

Also, we send home a monthly newsletter and weekly notes about field trips and special events as needed. I also keep post-it notes in a basket on my desk. I tell parents if they drop off before I arrive and they need to leave me a message, just write it on a post-it and leave it on my desk.

So far, we have had good communication between teachers & parents the past 2 years. Hope that helps some!!
rolltidegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

vbubbles1874

Old 07-15-2008, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I work in a "daycare" for lack of a better word. It is a chain and I use a daily sheet. I am an opener so I see all of my parents in the morning. I am also big on leaving notes. I use a milk crate with hanging folders for sending on artwork, daily sheets, and notes. I like the verbal communication as opposed to leaving a note, it just seems more personable to me and you can get feedback as to what/why something is happening. I also let parents know at the beginning of the year that if they have any questions at all to call the office and I will be happy to speak with them. I did have one parent want me to call them at home after hours. I do have an issue with that because I have a life outside of school and it just so happens that we were VERY busy that evening. My son had a baseball game and cub scout promotion and my daughter had a HS band performance. I did speak with the dad the next morning and he understood.

Do you have a parent board? I use it as a way of letting parents know about what is coming up and what supplies they need!

vbubbles1874 is offline   Reply With Quote

mstigger

Old 08-02-2008, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I taught in full day we used daily contact sheets. We used the same sheet all week it had certain catagories like circle time, table time... also lunch. We just circled how they did. We had a few choices and then a comment section. We filled it out at nap time every day and they sat in a notebook labeled Contact Sheets with dividers with each child's name. It was sat next to our classroom sign in/out listso parents could check everyday. I hope this helps.
mstigger is offline   Reply With Quote