Help

ARCHIVE

Helpful Spouses/Partners?

>

BRGirl

Helpful Spouses/Partners?
Old 08-09-2008, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been working my tail off trying to get my new classroom ready for third grade. The teacher who left, left the classroom a HUGE mess. I needed to clear out every cabinet, sort tons and tons of supplies, move furniture, etc. I asked my husband if he could come in and help me for a few hours and he REFUSED! I wouldn't even help me load my car with my supplies from my old school!

So I'm curious. How many helpful spouses are out there?

BRGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-09-2008, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My DH was a huge help when I quit my job last summer. He helped me pack up all my stuff over the weekend before I announced I was quitting. Then when I got my new job he was right there with me carting all the crap to school and helping clean the room. In addition he helped more around the house. He's a gem and I'm keeping him!!!!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

cardinallady

Sometimes
Old 08-09-2008, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Most of the time my hubby is pretty helpful! I'm sorry that you dh doesn't want to help.
cardinallady is offline   Reply With Quote

KAN

Old 08-09-2008, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Mine would help if the school was open the hours he is available. He has his own business and is usually busy as a one armed paper hanger.
My kids help. Not all at once though. I have the boys load my car. Take a couple of the girls and go. The girls are good at cleaning and organizing my stuff. My 10 year old did my bulletin boards this year and they look fabulous.
As far as moving big stuff, I enlist a friend I teach with or bribe custodians.
KAN is offline   Reply With Quote

babyruth

Old 08-09-2008, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My BF came in last week just to see my room. He helped me unload a few boxes. (most of my room is already done) I was happy with that! Then, we went out to lunch ~ even better!

babyruth is offline   Reply With Quote

JCat

not very
Old 08-09-2008, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Unfortunately, my DH had agreed to help me and it is not invited back! All he did was ask tons of questions and slowed me down. So, now I take my sister with me. She's also a teacher. She teaches high school, and doesn't "do" her classroom like I do (4th), so she knows how much work it takes.
JCat is offline   Reply With Quote

tpateacher

sorry :(
Old 08-09-2008, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My bf is very willing to help. He also loves grading papers!
tpateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

CountryGirl60

wondering
Old 08-09-2008, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Did he say why he did not want to help? Is he one of those spouses who is a little jealous that we get time off and therefore thinks we should not need help? My boyfriend would help if I asked him but I guess the key word here is boyfriend (he still needs to impress me!).
CountryGirl60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linn

My DH is the best...
Old 08-09-2008, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

he comes to my school every Friday afternoon and helps me clean the room (washes tables, etc) and get ready for the next week. We work together so we can have time together. He sees how hard teachers work and how underpaid we are. Today he scrubbed my classroom carpets. We have also had "Family Pizza Night" at school. I order pizza and my kids and husband come and put up bulletin boards and help me set up the classroom. I must admit, I am very lucky and I know this is unusual. I appreciate them helping me and they appreciate me working.
Linn is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

My DH is the best too!
Old 08-09-2008, 11:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

He is willing to come in and help with both the beginning and the end of the year. At this point he has specific jobs that he expects to do.

EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceK

Old 08-09-2008, 11:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My dh would not help. I have never bothered asking him. He has a few major jobs so he doesn't have much extra time and he would be very unlikely to use his free time to help me.

One of my coworkers has a spouse who helps every year get everythign set up with her. Actually, a few of them do. Hmm.
GraceK is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

I "rent" one..
Old 08-09-2008, 11:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have no DH, but DD has always helped me when it came to moving.. also, I have two friends in the district, who not only do their hubbies come and help me move, but so do their kids.

We also have a GREAT male teacher on our campus.. who last year moved ALL of the stuff for the teachers who were having to "relocate." He is a specials, and had no kids the last week.. so he spent the whole week helping move stuff..
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 08-10-2008, 03:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

DH doesn't come to my room to help, but he picks up the slack around the house when I go back. It's comical - during the school year, he's all about laundry and getting dinner, but the second a break or vacation starts and I'm home, it's like, "What washing machine?"
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. G

My DH...
Old 08-10-2008, 03:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

will come and help with certain tasks, like hooking back up the DVD player or moving furniture. I don't ask him to do other chores around the class because they would never be done the way I wanted.
Mrs. G is offline   Reply With Quote

cdeteacher

My DH is in the middle...
Old 08-10-2008, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My DH is in the middle...
It depends on his work schedule (he's Air Force) and how helpful he is feeling . When I moved out of my classroom at the end of the year he did come help me put my heavy boxes in the car and unload them at the storage unit. Just recently he helped me get them back in my car (couldn't get off work to help me get it in school). He also made me a fabulous campfire for my camping themed classroom (pics posted in themes and bulletin boards).
cdeteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Nataliz

Old 08-10-2008, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

My husband is more than willing to come up and help with specific tasks (like lowering tables or moving furniture). He will also build things for my classroom. In fact, he just built me three bookshelves last night. He also helps me load and unload the car with the things I take home over the summer because he knows it gets all that junk out of the house.

However, he will not spend hours in my classroom cleaning cabinets or putting up bulletin boards. It's not his thing and that's okay with me.

When I have him come up to school with me, we only do that task and then we leave- even if I want to do something else. That way I respect both of our time.

I'm sorry that your husband won't help you.
Nataliz is offline   Reply With Quote

terinzak

my DS
Old 08-10-2008, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

is 13 and cant wait to get in my classroom and help me set it up! I keep telling him it should be this week as in-service starts the 14th.
terinzak is offline   Reply With Quote

treetoad

so helpful
Old 08-10-2008, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

hubby always helped me - he did all the climbing and high postings. He came on Sunday afternoon as did both of my sons and helped me change from one month to another. Our idea was working together for one hour after church we're all done - go out to eat and everyone has the afternoon to do as they please. Did this for many years.
treetoad is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Dh
Old 08-10-2008, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

is really great to help me out.
He put up bulletine board paper, laminated, cut out, and moved furniture for me.

Quote:
I asked my husband if he could come in and help me for a few hours and he REFUSED
I think he'd be eating some cold sandwiches for a while
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

LovetoShare

Helpful DH
Old 08-10-2008, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

My whole staff knows my DH because he used to be there so much. At the beginning of the year he will come in after work and on weekends to help. Since this is my seventh year he knows exactly what jobs are his. He usually comes at the end of the year to help tear down. Like a previous poster my husband sometimes comes in during the school year so that we can have some time together. He did this a lot my first year or else he would have never seen me.
LovetoShare is offline   Reply With Quote

Peps

Old 08-10-2008, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Depends. I employ nagging and complain that if I have to work a lot at school then the house (supper) gets neglected. He usually jumps in to help then. He is good at hanging charts high up. Otherwise he gets in the way. Maybe you could pay some kids to help?
Peps is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher's Pet

everyone know my DH....
Old 08-10-2008, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

too! He is ALWAYS doing something for my classroom! We decorated our hall in a Hawaiian theme this year...he made a fabulous tiki hut (bought and painted large plumbing pipe!) to go at the entrance..he made me a HUGE surfboard (out of foam board!) and hand painted two beautiful hibiscus (sp.?) flowers on it..among several others things..A lot of my friends are so jealous, most people wouldn't even know their DH if they walked up! He also picks up the slack around the house when school starts and doesn't say a word if I come home and go straight to a nice, relaxing bath! Its going to be one of THOSE years for me this time, we've got two trips planned for the next two months and have already made reservations for NEXT summer! He knows I need something to look forward too!
Teacher's Pet is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

My DH is fantastic!
Old 08-10-2008, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

He always comes and helps me clean my room, move things, do bulletin boards, etc. When we moved to a different building two years ago, they literally just threw all the desks and furniture into the middle of a filthy room. It took us a solid week of just cleaning and rearranging before we could even begin to do bulletin boards, organize supplies, etc. He was there every step of the way. I don't know what I would have done without him, because we have laziest maintenance guy in the world!
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

volstate

Old 08-10-2008, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Wow, my DH's mother would have kicked his tail if he ever acted like that when she was alive. He had a cousin who's husband acted like that, and it always bothered her so much. She felt it was the man's obligation to help his wife out and vice-versa. He didn't help me move furniture this year( usually he does), but my brother helped me. My DH did load the car a few times. The biggest help has been that he has been cleaning the house and laundry since I was working so hard in getting the room ready. He did it without even being asked. Hubby and I have always approached things from a team effort, because it freed our time to do other things. I think we also want help ease the stress of the other. Sometimes, though it doesn't go that way and one of us ( usually me ) has a breakdown. Most of the time though, we just jump in and help one another out.
volstate is offline   Reply With Quote

♥theColts

You take the bad with the good!
Old 08-10-2008, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

My dh has built so many awesome classroom things such as a loft, picnic table, post office, art center, bulletin board, book shelves, etc. However, I am a "get it done person," and admittedly patience is the virtue I most need to work on. He is very precise. Everything needs to be measured and just so. I want things to look nice, but I also don't want it to take 5 hours! Also, he tends to get bossy in his suggestions!The other day I just sat down and sighed. Dh asked what was the matter. I told him that I "wished that I had my own classroom like he did!"
♥theColts is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. L

Helpful Hubby
Old 08-10-2008, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

My hubby helps by checking papers...but only the easy ones. My mom (a former 3rd grade teacher herself) helps me set up my room each year. She's the BEST!
Mrs. L is offline   Reply With Quote

mshunny

No Husband
Old 08-10-2008, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I am not married, but I do get help. My mom and dad help me each year with my room.

My dad will help me bring in all of my stuff. He will stay and keep me company. Most of the time I don't have him do anything else. Once in a while he will help me put up decorations and posters.

My mom helps a lot. This year her work schedule has changed so she won't be able to help at school. She will help with other things at my house.

This year I am enlisting the help of my 8yr. old nephew. He loves to help.
mshunny is offline   Reply With Quote

HQT

DH helps by
Old 08-10-2008, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

not getting in my way unless specifically asked.

He does help the most by just listening to me vent!
HQT is offline   Reply With Quote

Krielyteacher

my DH helped once
Old 08-10-2008, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

after that he never would help again. He refused to help clean out my classroom with me. I was furious! I guess I have to take the bad with the good though.
Krielyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

cubbies

Old 08-10-2008, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I don't know what I would have done without my husband's help. He has moved furniture, adjusted the legs of students' desks, unloaded my car and taken things into the classroom, and always helps out with physical laboring jobs I have asked of him. I'm really blessed with a great guy!
cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote

MS Math

Couldn't make it without him
Old 08-10-2008, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I"m lucky that my DH always offers to help and usually follows through with it. (I say that because he asked me in June if he needed to come in and take down my diplomas. I replied that he had never put them up. ) Anyway, he has been to school 3 nights, helping me move my stuff out of storage. He moved furniture for me and hung a small bulletin board behind my desk.
Now he still has to find time to hang my diplomas in my classroom.
MS Math is offline   Reply With Quote

chronicfun

No husband, but
Old 08-10-2008, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

my mom and my 12 y/o neice have a standing date w/ me in my classroom a week before school starts! I'd be lost w/out them. They are both HARD workers. I buy donuts for our morning break and then take them out to lunch! My neice LOVES to help and by June is asking about what day would be best to help! This year I may be forced to enlist the "help" of my 5 y/o son. Our sitter decided to "take August off" and not watch him during the 3 or 4 days I'd like to be child free. nice. BUT, he seems awfully proud that I need his help in the classroom!
chronicfun is offline   Reply With Quote

SuzyM

Helpful hubby
Old 08-10-2008, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

My husband really helped me in my classroom. He spent a good 8 hours over the course of 2 days to help get my room set-up. He knows what it is like because he used to teach. And he also had great ideas on the set-up too.
SuzyM is offline   Reply With Quote

abcd1234

help in room
Old 08-10-2008, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

My husband is kind enough to help. The only time he gets mad is when I do more socializing than working! That tends to happen the first few days back and you are seeing people after a long summer.
abcd1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

giftedteacher

My DH and DDs
Old 08-10-2008, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

will all help when I call. My DH has helped paint my room, moved furniture, my dd's help with sorting, cleaning, and helping get rid of all those lovely roaches that croak during the summer. My oldest DD is leaving for college in 3 days, so she won't be here to help! Boo Hoo!
I count myself among the lucky teachers!
Debbie
giftedteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-10-2008, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

DH painted my classroom last year, but typically he doesn't help out. Sometimes he goes with me and hangs around while I work, but honestly it's just as easy to go in and do it myself if he's not actually going to help with anything.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

fl-teacher

BF not DH
Old 08-10-2008, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

As a PP said--mine is a bf not a dh so he still feels the need to impress me. He doesn't come to my classroom to help me much because his work schedule is crazy--(he's a contractor so most mornings he is gone before I wake up and not home until after dark). He does however help me grade papers (only the mult choice because he'd give everyone an F if he had to read their papers), he will type tests and things for me. When he can (rainy days) he will come in the afternoon and help me with my afternoon routine so I can get done and we can spend some time togather.
fl-teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAmanda

Old 08-10-2008, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

My BF helped me move stuff into my room this year, with a broken foot! I had told him he didn't need to but he said he would and he followed through. Once everything got moved though he played on my computers and I worked in the room. I'll take what I can get though!
MissAmanda is offline   Reply With Quote

tbell0407

No help from DH
Old 08-10-2008, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

My DH doesn't help. He hates going to school with me. Luckily I have four daughters that are willing to help (My DD's are 18 and 13, by SD's are 13 and 12) They are at the age where they love to help so I let them and pay them a little something.
tbell0407 is offline   Reply With Quote

doc2000

absolutely priceless
Old 08-10-2008, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

My wife takes off work one day during pre-planning to help "organize" my classroom. She also helps me when we are allowed to go in on Saturdays. She is wonderful, priceless........
doc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceK

Old 08-10-2008, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

wow, I am so envious!! I posted earlier about no help from dh. The time I asked him to come even *see* my room (he was in the car right outside my classroom door), he declined. School (and everything that goes with it) is entirely my domain. He doesn't pick up a lot of slack at home either when I go back. He does have a lot of other great qualities, but work is definitely separate.

I don't have anyone else help me either, unless you count my children (7 and under) who really don't help except to "put this over here." mostly they get in the way, and I *always* have to have them with me. *sigh*

ok, shaking the jealous off now!

mimi6

Great DH
Old 08-10-2008, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

My dh has always helped me out in any way I needed him. This year I moved schools and he helped me haul my stuff home and then haul it to the school when I could get in. As he was unloading my counter top, he dropped it on his foot and broke 2 toes.....never complained a bit. He is definitely "one-of-a-kind.
mimi6 is offline   Reply With Quote

change2R

Depends
Old 08-10-2008, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

My DH has a standing job of cutting out laminating. He does this while he watches the ballgames on TV. He only helps with other things when I get really grouchy. Today, he has put magnets on my name tags, cut laminating, cut my notebooks in half, and many other things. I guess you can tell what kind of mood I am in. My DS and DD both help with things in my classroom but not at the same time. I can only have one of them there at a time because they argue and don't work if they are both there at the same time.
change2R is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Helpers
Old 08-10-2008, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

Like previous pp I don't have a DH, but my parents are great helping set up my classroom. Mom always is baking goodies for my classes too. My brother brings my things to school for me, and will do so when needed. My nieces will help too! Don't think my ex would have helped, he couldn't even pick up his underwear!
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsJ

I don't think so!
Old 08-10-2008, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

I've never asked my DH to come to school to help me, as it's a long drive (he works in town where we live) and I figured he'd rather not! I think he gets a bit jealous of all the time I spend at school (I put in long hours, and bring things home with me) and when he has off he wants me to pay attention to him. He is a big help at home, and will get dinner and take our sons where they need to go when I need to be at school. I guess because our custodians are so good at moving everything and putting things back where we want them after doing the floors, that it never occurred to me to bring in some muscle! And when I bring in my ds's, they get bored and hungry after an hour or so, so I'd rather leave them at home, too! Once I'm in my room, I'm in my own little happy world, and could (and do) spend many hours there. Once I get there, I hate to leave!!
MrsJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.H.

My DH is a teacher too...
Old 08-10-2008, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

but for high school shop (I'm 3rd grade). They don't have to "get a room ready". Doesn't understand why I spend soooo much time in my room getting ready. He will come in with me if we are in the area (we live 30 miles from my school), but we always make sure to bring a movie for him to watch while I work. Just like a little kid However, he did make a tiki hut for my classroom this year, and spent a few hours with me putting it up. He didn't even say "I told you so" when we did it my way and it fell down! So sweet!
Mrs.H. is offline   Reply With Quote

ashleigh_60

Helpful Hubby
Old 08-10-2008, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

I honestly do not know what I would have done without my dh's help over the past few years. He has build pretty much every piece of furniture in my room, and there are a lot of bookcases. He's also good about helping me when I need to move furniture or other heavy things. He also listens to me vent and tell him all about my kids. (I know he get's sick of "teacher talk). He really doesn't get into things like decorations and organization, but I like doing that on my own anyway.
ashleigh_60 is offline   Reply With Quote

mercurylady

Helpful BF
Old 08-10-2008, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

I don't have a husband yet, but my BF is always around to help.

I'm so sorry to hear about your DH! Did he say why he wouldn't help? Did you talk to him about it?

Good Luck!
mercurylady is offline   Reply With Quote

BRGirl

GraceK - I'm jealous, too.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

My husband would only come under extreme threats (he just isn't interested in doing anything that isn't his choice, and finds no excitement in my job), and my children (3 in single digits) try to help - but the mess they leave sets me back. I guess I should be thankful that my dh is willing to let me stay at school for hours in the evening (we get our own keys) and he gets to hang out with the kids...
BRGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 08-11-2008, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

My DH is a high school English teacher. We take turns helping each other in our classrooms. He is really good at arrangements in my classroom and providing the muscle! I help him decorate and cutsy his room up.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

JoyfullTeach

Old 08-11-2008, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

My DH comes at the beginning and end of the year and around Open House if I need him. He will also help me grade papers. My mom and dad will also help me at the beginning and end of the year. I'm sorry your spouse isn't helping you.
JoyfullTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sketter

Hehehe...
Old 08-11-2008, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

I know what you mean- different expectations in the summer.
Sketter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sketter

Wow!
Old 08-11-2008, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

I really enjoyed reading this post. I laughed, I teared up - what a lot of emotions! I am so sorry BRGirl's husband and others' don't help them. My husband doesn't enjoy helping me, but he does without complaining. I wouldn't enjoy helping me either. I am indecisive and ADD. There is a Jimmy Buffet line- Indecision may or may not be my problem. My husband is a "get it done", very decisive (he is a store manager), and great at making decisions. I think a lot. Move something. Don't like it. Move it back. Ugh.

I mostly like company. Someone can sleep in one of my comfy chairs, and I am happy. My mom does that. She helps also. My dad is really handy, and he builds a lot of stuff for my classroom. My mom supports me a lot because she feels that teachers are really underappreciated. My dear friend, who is the 4th grade teacher, he helps me because, well, he is a typical guy- not much fluff in his room. But he will help me drag stuff around. I thank God for all of them- little help or big help, or just listening to me vent on the phone- God and my family get me through the year.
Sketter is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach'n'Learn

helpful husbands
Old 08-11-2008, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

My husband helps primarily by picking up the slack around the house during the school year - walking the dogs, making dinner, doing dishes, etc. He also does the "big stuff" like installing shelves and new whiteboards, and this year he's making a construction paper sorter for the intermediate grades' supply closet.

He will do just about anything I ask - grading papers, sorting art supplies, cutting out lamination, etc. - as long as it doesn't involve interacting with children. If I need him to drop off something during the school day, he times his trip to arrive during recess or lunch.

His reasoning is that if he didn't help, he'd be surfing the 'net or watching TV all by himself instead of doing something fun with me because I'd be working 24/7.
Teach'n'Learn is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Helpful hubby
Old 08-11-2008, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

My husband has helped me a lot this year because I moved to a new classroom. He helped move furniture, raise the legs of the student desks, built a shelf, etc. Last week, I was working in my room and he called to see how it was going. I said I needed his help with something. He started making screeching noises in the phone and said there was a bad connection. He'd have to call me back later.
He ended up coming up anyway. He's great!
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceK

Thanks BRgirl...
Old 08-11-2008, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

I guess I feel better now- ! Glad I am not alone!

JLo

take pictures!
Old 08-11-2008, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #57

Mine didn't know how bad it was until I took pictures to show him! Then he got his butt up there and helped! I think some people just don't realize how much stuff we collect! We basically live up there!
JLo is offline   Reply With Quote

apr707

Old 08-11-2008, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #58

My honey came to the classroom, opened up a box of books and said "I remember this book!" Read the story and continued to read stories! I took a picture and I show my students that adults love to read too. But anyway, that was 3 years ago and I never asked again.
apr707 is offline   Reply With Quote

CityGal

Somewhere in the middle...
Old 08-11-2008, 10:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #59

My DH won't volunteer, but if I have specific things I need him to help with, he USUALLY will. Or he'll take the kids (4 year old and a 5 month old) off to do something so I can have some productive time to get things done.

Of course, he's known for griping about something I'm doing, like painting a mural on the school wall, because it "takes too much time from the family", then showing up while I'm working on it and deciding he wants to help because it looks like fun! *eye roll* So, whatever.... lol

He's not so great at picking up the slack at home, unfortunately. This will be interesting this year as I'm starting a new position at my school, and he's only been working at his current station (he's a police officer) for a month now. We'll all be spending time trying to get into a new rhythm for the school year... then Thanksgiving and Christmas break will arrive and throw it off completely, I'm sure.

In his defense, though, DH is great great great at coming up with neat ideas (and helping see them through) for neat or special activities (holidays, school plays, etc), which is priceless!
CityGal is offline   Reply With Quote

teachersheart

hubby help
Old 08-11-2008, 11:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #60

My dh always helps when he can. He has a motto to live by: "Happy Wife, Happy Life".
teachersheart is offline   Reply With Quote

Keeks44

Old 08-12-2008, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #61

My DH knows how hard I work and I know how hard he works. If I could help him at work, I would. He helps me set up my room (bulletin boards, rearranging--he's got zen eyes--, hanging stuff, building whatever, supportive of money I spend). He knows that it's important for me to feel organized and together, so he helps in anyway he can. I've got a great DH and couldn't ask for anything more!
Keeks44 is offline   Reply With Quote

CndTeacher

Have fun getting everything ready!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #62

BRGirl, I'm sorry your husband hasn't been very helpful. I've had my boyfriend come to school twice this summer for a couple of specific duties, such as hanging things when I couldn't reach high enough and carrying things to the car for me. But, like a previous poster mentioned, he's a bf not a husband, so I think he's on his best behaviour still
CndTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Stacysmom

Old 08-12-2008, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #63

My husband and 4 children do anything and everything I ask them to do for me, from hanging white boards to moving furniture and organizing books. Throughout the year they are always willing to pitch in and help me out too. I am in graduate school as well, so they have to take up a lot of slack around the house for me, laundry, dinner, housework, etc. I am so fortunate to have such a supportive family. I could not do my job or get through school without them.

BTW... what is dh?
Stacysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tmteach00

my hubby
Old 08-12-2008, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #64

MY DH really won't volunteer to help me either....i am sure if i told him i REALLY needed help, he would do it. he's come in a few times to help me with things that are up high (he's 6'4), but that's about it.

this is the first school year that i will have a classroom AND a house to take care of (we are recently married), so i'll be anxious to see if he picks up any "house slack" once school starts. but, i do have to remember, he's a firefighter with a crazy schedule, plus he's back in school for his MBA....his time is pretty limited too!
Tmteach00 is offline   Reply With Quote

flutterbuggy

Old 08-12-2008, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #65

My bf is going to help me set up my classroom tomorrow!!! I haven't been in there yet, so I told him I have a longggggggggggg list of things to get done!! He said he is ready for it!! I figure I will take him out to lunch as a surprise for helping me!
flutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote

n2n2n2n

very helpful
Old 08-12-2008, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #66

My husband and kids are very helpful to me --- as hopefully I am to them.
I grew up on a farm. When they harvest was on everyone worked together. That is simply what families do. It never occurred to me that my husband and kids wouldn't when I really needed them at school. I guess I must think of my classroom as a farm and September and June are the harvest months.
n2n2n2n is offline   Reply With Quote

deeanna

love him....
Old 08-12-2008, 10:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #67

Mine is amazing- He built stuff for my new classroom. He truly is the best.
deeanna is offline   Reply With Quote

chocaholic

my hubby is the Principal so
Old 08-13-2008, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #68

I get no help! He's been back at work for the past two weeks. Actually, I have to work around his schedule most of the time. In June I put our two kids in camp for a week so I could work after school let out and try to organize my room. I usually have to organize myself during the summer at home. Then the three days before school starts, I am like a crazy woman, trying to get everything done in those few precious days! Last year, I was able to work the evening before the first day...getting last minute things ready...but this year we have a big turnover in staff so my husband told me he will need to be in that evening since he's spent so much time organizing them. At least it's my 4th year at the school, so I am mostly organized and can probably pull it off.

My room is never the way I want it on the first day. I try to think of art projects for the kids to do on the first day to fill up my Bulletin Boards, partly because I want "Student Work" on the board but also because I simply don't have time for elaborate boards. My own kids are not old enough to help yet, either.

One benefit I do get, though, is that if I want something built in my room, new furniture, or something put up (like a bulletin board), my DH makes sure it gets done for me. I had a list of things I needed repaired and added to my room in June, and he followed up on all of it and made sure it was done for me! And the other nice thing is that occasionally, VERY occasionally, we can have lunch together during the school year (a short lunch, though) and he does listen to my ideas and gives support that way. I can't complain, really, but I'd love to have the kind of "manpower" many of you describe!
chocaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.B

sometimes
Old 08-13-2008, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #69

My husband helped last year but I was 8 1/2 months pregnant. He will also help if there's something really big like a file cabinet or computer.
Mrs.B is offline   Reply With Quote

crteacher

sometimes
Old 08-13-2008, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #70

He did help me move my classroom 3 years ago (that's once out of the 5 times I've moved). This year he said he hoped I had someone at school who would help because he wouldn't (he thinks the school should pay maintenance people to do it - yeah right).

My problem is my husband works for an hourly wage. He makes about the same amnt I do, but he goes to work every day and is given a job list to complete. He quits when he goes home and doesn't think about it unless he gets called in for an emergency.

He fails to understand why I need to do anything outside of paid work hours and he continually makes comments when he sees me doing things. I've gone to work this whole week to set up my new classroom and I've gotten comments every day. I think it's just a whole different mentality. I feel I'm paid to do a job and I need to do it to the best of my abilities. That means extra time and effort (within reason).
crteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

cdeteacher

Stacysmom
Old 08-13-2008, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #71

DH=dear husband
cdeteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

kkim4

Same husband?
Old 08-13-2008, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #72

BRGirl - do we have the same husband. When I read this DH does not stand for "DEAR Husband" hee hee hee Mine would never help at school. He does help at home a little - but if I work late he gets frustrated. Sigh. He just doesn't get why I have to be at school in the summer. He thinks the school fairies set up the room or something.
kkim4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stacysmom

cdeteacher
Old 08-13-2008, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #73

dh= dear husband...that he is!
Stacysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr.L

trade off
Old 08-15-2008, 01:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #74

My wife and I both teach at the same school, different wings. My wing was done first so she came in and did a lot of stuff in my room for me. She organized my whole library and most of the cabinet and shelves. (I moved to a new room this year). Then, when her room was ready we were in there together. The only problem is, I tend to not be as focused as she is and it makes her mad so she usually dismissed me after I move the furniture and heavy boxes. I do hang the high stuff and bulliten board fabric for her.
Mr.L is offline   Reply With Quote

agree

I'm so jealous!
Old 08-16-2008, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #75

My husband is great about giving me money for school stuff and he is also great about sponsoring the school for certain things, but........He gets real cranky if I ask for his help. I bought a couple of large shelves the other day and he delivered those to my room but then when I ask him to climb and hang something from the ceiling, he did it but not too happily. It didn't help that a flake of ceiling tile got in his eye! He told me he hadn't wanted to do that anyway! My kids are a great help to me. I usually give them a little money for helping, kind of like an allowance. It sounds like some of you gals have it great! I am so jealous! My husband says he doesn't ask for help at his job!
agree is offline   Reply With Quote

BronxTeacher

amazing family
Old 08-17-2008, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #76

My first year my boyfriend and mother helped me grade papers throughout the year (3rd grade). Last year, my mom came in one day to help me setup. Then, on a SATURDAY before school started, I had my mom, dad, sister, and boyfriend finish the room with me! I moved down a floor to first grade and it had been used as a storage room over the summer- lots of work! This year, I'm moving up two flights and my mom already took two vacation days from her job to come help me setup. I may have to enlist the rest of the crew too! My boyfriend already plans on helping me grade as well since I have been finishing my masters (full time!) as well as teaching. I guess I'm lucky to have an amazing support system!
BronxTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote