Help

ARCHIVE

Reading Street

>

Rubyslippers

Reading Street
Old 09-01-2008, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school havs the Scott Foresman reading Street LAQ series. I feel it is almost impossible to do the reading centers/groups. The children simply cannot self-direct themselves for that long at a time everyday. My school wants us to have 4 or 5 groups and spend 20 minutes with each group while the rest of the class plays in literacy centers.

I just can't see it working.

Rubyslippers is offline   Reply With Quote

Strawberry_K5

Old 09-02-2008, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You are preaching to the choir! I hate this series. We are required to teach the alphabet in a total of 4 weeks, when I normally teach it in nine weeks. I feel like the most horrible teacher because of this series. I'm sorry...I didn't mean to vent on your post.

As far as the centers go, we were told that we could implement our own independent centers (cannot alter small group instruction). I am working with my students for 10-15 minutes (10-15 minutes per center). I'm also breaking up the whole group instruction time. Students (beginning Kindergarten) cannot sit still and for the amount of time that they are suggesting; this series is just not developmentally appropriate.
Strawberry_K5 is offline   Reply With Quote

scissorz

Old 09-02-2008, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm with you...I really dislike the series too. I'm implementing the Daily 5 instead of the Scott Foresman centers.
scissorz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rubyslippers

Old 09-03-2008, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I hate it also. I have never met a K teacher that likes it. Most of the books are boring. My kids get tired of them and most of the songs, too. When did it become a trend to read the same book over and over ad naseum? Four blocks did the same thing as did our series before that. The 2nd week of school, they are supposed to read and write" I" and " am" and do work book pages.
Rubyslippers is offline   Reply With Quote

Strawberry_K5

Old 09-03-2008, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What's killing me is that this week we are expected to teach F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N. In one week?!?! We were off Monday and tomorrow is our extras day! Who came up with this crap? I don't mind following a phonics progression (even if it is completely different from our last progression!) if I can have the freedom to teach what I need to, based on my students' needs. I have some students that still don't know the letter "A"..... grrrrrr

Strawberry_K5 is offline   Reply With Quote

BusyLife

So glad...
Old 09-04-2008, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am so glad that my fellow teachers and I are not alone in this pitiful excuse for a reading program. We have felt the same way about the children writing "I am." I am afraid our state made a mistake when they chose this series to promote. It is unrealistic for kinders!!!
BusyLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.B

Reading Street
Old 09-05-2008, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is my first year in K. I really liked Scott Foresman for 2nd & 3rd. However, I've had some struggles this week. My kids said it was boring and that made me feel horrible. I'm hoping to it just takes time to get used to it.
Mrs.B is offline   Reply With Quote

gr8ideas

strawberry K5 are you teaching the...
Old 09-06-2008, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

sounds of the letters? I am just trying to get the kids to recognize the letters...the sounds come much later and are taught at a very slow pace. It is so slow that we are using our Jolly Phonics instead of how they introduce the letters.
I am also frustrated with the sight words so early in the program. Why would they introduce I am with a story tha doesn't have those words in it? It would be nice to point that out in the big book, wouldn't it?
As far as literacy centers go I separated the time up so that I can be available to help the kids with the literacy centers...that aren't independent at this stage...what were they thinking? I do the centers for 20-30 minutes. I cannot see how you'd do them for an hour, and independently? That's crazy. I hope we get some great ideas for this series. We can all learn from each other.
gr8ideas is offline   Reply With Quote