Does Anyone Use the Same Theme Over and Over? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

ARCHIVE

Does Anyone Use the Same Theme Over and Over?

>

Speced9

Does Anyone Use the Same Theme Over and Over?
Old 08-11-2008, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm just curious because I started a city-theme for my classroom around six years ago. I've kept it the same for two reasons: First, I find something new to add every year, and second, I've put so much time, effort and $$$$$ into it, it would be a shame to drop it after only a year.

Anyone?

Speced9 is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiehgs

Old 08-11-2008, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am only in my second year of using a theme at all, but it's the same one I used last year, and it will be the same one I use next year.

However, my good friend and former colleague has used the same theme "Under the Sea" for as long as she's been teaching, I believe, which is about 9 or 10 years. She likes it. She's invested a lot of money into things for her room. She changes out bulletin boards now and again and different bits here and there, but for the most part, it stays the same year after year.
maggiehgs is offline   Reply With Quote

okteach

Old 08-11-2008, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No, we have a new school wide theme every year. I kind of wish I could use the same one for a few years since it is so time consuming.
okteach is offline   Reply With Quote

kpl

I do
Old 08-11-2008, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've had a frog theme for the past three years, and since this will probably be my last year teaching (I'm seriously considering retirement... this will be my 30th year!) I am doing a frog theme again. There are several reasons, some that you've already said, but the main reason is that the kids all LOVE frogs! The past three years I've gotten many froggie type gifts from other teachers and the children ~ from statues to ornaments and jewelry. We have either aquatic frogs or toads as classroom pets each year (the kids learn a lot from caring for them). I have quite a collection of stuffed frogs, too. I've added to the theme every year, and I really enjoy it... probably as much as the kids do!!!
kpl is offline   Reply With Quote

K-Jeanne

I do
Old 08-11-2008, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

For the past 7 years I've done kindergarten with a garden theme. This year I moved to first grade and have a camping theme. I find I can develop my classroom into a great environment. I would have a hard time changing my room year to year.

K-Jeanne is online now   Reply With Quote

kamehameha

Theme
Old 08-11-2008, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It cost a lot of money to start my theme back 4 years ago. (rainforest) Every year, I have added to it--yep, I will be using this theme from now on.
kamehameha is offline   Reply With Quote

Nicole0402

Old 08-11-2008, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes! I add to it each year, but it's always new to the new group of kids!
Nicole0402 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ga Peach

Yes
Old 08-12-2008, 02:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am. I have used my black, white, and red polka dot them for three years. I love it! I just can't give it up. I have added ladybugs to the theme this year to change it a little and I really love them. I have used the D. J. Inkers bugs. I have also found some really cute things right here on PT.
Ga Peach is offline   Reply With Quote

myoung

Old 08-12-2008, 02:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

definitely...for a long time comin' anyway!
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote

Speced9

Thanks
Old 08-12-2008, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I feel better now knowing that others have kept their classroom themes longer than I have!

Speced9 is offline   Reply With Quote

iluvpooh

Theme
Old 08-12-2008, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have used the Monkey/Jungle theme for the past 4years now and will continue with it until I am tired of it. Like everyone else has mentioned I add new things each year.

I eventually want to do a Western Theme-but not for a while
iluvpooh is offline   Reply With Quote

gayla311

Same theme until further notice!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This is only my 2nd year teaching, but I've got a beach theme, and I plan to keep it for a looooong time! No one else in my school uses it that I know of (there are lots of ocean/underwater stuff, but not beach), and I myself LOVE going to the beach, so it's nice to bring that whole beach/relaxing environment into my classroom. Someone asked me at the end of last year if I was going to have a new theme, and I wanted to ask them if they were crazy!? I have spent a TON of hard-earned moolah on my beach stuff, and I keep finding more and more cute stuff to add to the room, so I don't think I'll get tired of it for a while. I just found the cutest miniature palm tree at Target yesterday that plays 2 songs and lights up! So cute!

Our principal makes a new school-wide theme every 2 years, and it drives me nuts because I've got my great classroom but always feel like I need to add whatever theme he has somewhere. I don't want to spend too much money on a theme that's going to be gone soon, you know? I just do one bulletin board in the school-wide theme (one I keep the same year-round that displays our character quality of the month).

This is a long post, sorry! But I'm glad to know other teachers keep their themes for a while!
gayla311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.B

themes
Old 08-13-2008, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have a couple themes and switch off every couple years. I have stuff for picnic theme and a racing theme. This year I'm switching to a garden theme.
Mrs.B is offline   Reply With Quote

jwithere

Give a little theme...
Old 08-13-2008, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I work in an urban inner city school and when I arrived two years ago...no one used themes...no one decorated...moral was low. I started my very first year teaching with a beach theme. When I was finished, I passed on all my homemade materials to a 2nd grade teacher. She started a theme. This past year I handed off all my Rainforest Materials to a 1st grade teacher, plants included, and she started a theme. This year my theme is the Airport and Travel...I feel a sense of pride as I see the themes starting to flourish and people are starting to see how inspired the kids can really be. I do look forward to the year when there is enough theme to go around and everyone creates spaces that the students really enjoy being in. I can't wait to add on every year, all of your rooms must be inspired!
jwithere is offline   Reply With Quote

turtle time

beach theme
Old 08-13-2008, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have been doing the beach theme for two years now. Would you mind sharing some of your ideas? I have a "reader's beach" with two beach chairs and a rug the color of sand. I am putting surfboards up on my door (each with a students name). I don't want to have too much of the fish theme. I've also got a few sand pails around the room as well as shovels for my hall passes.

Would love any more ideas!
turtle time is offline   Reply With Quote

madibeme

different
Old 08-15-2008, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I like to do different ones. I get bored. I have done frog, beach, fish and now the jungle. I have a shopping problem. I do tend to pass my stuff on to others so they dont go to waste.
madibeme is offline   Reply With Quote

kteach97

ADHD? Teacher
Old 02-28-2009, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I am even more crazy! I have a new theme every half of the year. I teach kindergarten in a K-2 school that are set up in teams. I have 6 major themes to cover the 3 years the students will be on my team. They are not in my class but always come by and get excited to see what the next theme will bring. I have probably spent way too much money but I can't help it. My themes this year were farm and ocean. Next year will be circus and camping. The next year is zoo and rainforest. Then the rotation starts back over. I pretty much go "all out" on all of them and like previous posts, I add to them every time. My brain always stays one theme ahead so right now I am thinking of things to add to my circus theme for next Fall. I just bought some clown chairs to put in my reading center circus tent on amazon.com. Needless to say...tax time is always fun! If someone shows me how to post pics, I have plenty!
kteach97 is offline   Reply With Quote