Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Above Level Readers

>

packerfan

Above Level Readers
Old 10-26-2009, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a question. I have just completed giving my second graders the PALS reading assessment. I have about 5 students that are reading at a level above second grade (5th to be exact) and I am not sure what to do with these students. I would like them to read stories at this level but I am concerned about the following:
there are not stories with appropriate content for a second grader to be reading at this level.
the writing piece, by this I mean I think it is important to have students understand how to write answers to the main idea, making inferences (which I have found in the past a difficult skill for students at this age to comprehend), and beginning middle and end.
I have students whose parents want them to be challenged so they want them in a higher level grade for reading. I am not so sure I agree with this, and am not sure how to explain this to them.

There is something to be said about learning the basic skills at the current grade level. Help me understand what to do and how to do what is best for my students. One last thing I teach in a catholic school and we do not have AR program.

Thanks in advance for your input.

packerfan is offline   Reply With Quote

dolphinlover

Old 10-26-2009, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a similar situation. I have a student reading very high. While I am providing him with higher level text, it is not at his independent level. The reason? I need to have him focus on responding at an appropriate level. We are working on literature response while still using a higher level text. I think that it is great that kids can read at a higher level, but I need to be able to have documentation that they are also understanding and comprehending at that level too. I don't think this is unreasonable. So, I would start off by putting them in a higher reading group (say high 3rd grade), but with the focus being on the responses and comprehension. Then, once they master this, you can move onto higher level text.
dolphinlover is offline   Reply With Quote

meetingmac

Literature circle
Old 11-05-2009, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Could you try having them read the book that you are using with your 2nd grade level children, but give them jobs for how to lead a discussion group? This way it is still the text, but they have to get deeper into it.
meetingmac is offline   Reply With Quote