Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

End of Year Activity for grade7

>

kmob

End of Year Activity for grade7
Old 05-26-2013, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My 7th graders moved a little more quickly then I thought they would and we've finished all of the books I have planned and major assignments, but I have about 7 instructional days left with them? Anyne have any ideas?

Anyone know a good short story that I could find on-line and do with them?

Either that, or I was thinking of having them work in groups to write their own "tragedies" as we just finished Shakepeare's Julius Caesar. Does anyone have a lesson plan like this (so I don't have to reinvent the wheel).

I'm really open to anything that will keep them active and learning for the last couple weeks of the year.

TIA

kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

kmob

Mystery Radio
Old 05-26-2013, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I came up with this idea based on a post by another PTer on a different thread. I have a lesson on the elements of a mystery story that I'll do with them first. I still have to make the worksheet "pretty", but I'm open to any suggestions to add or enhance this.
Attached Files
File Type: docx mystery radio show.docx (14.0 KB, 42 views)
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

Put in a movie
Old 05-27-2013, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

But have them write about it.

Why did the filmmaker choose this setting?

What is the significance of repeating images?

How does the film's music work to help tell the story?

What is the theme?

I would choose something they maybe haven't seen already:

Time Bandits
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (from the 50s--the one from the 70s has a topless moment)
Gold Rush (Charlie Chaplin silent)

This would take 3 or 4 periods.

Or give them mime skits to act out. Two days to practice, two to perform. Kids have to discern what's being mimed.

Take a walk around the campus and describe, in writing, ordinary things and places. One day to walk, another to write.

Have them write directions to somewhere in the building or on campus and then have a group follow a set of directions and see where they actually end up. Probably two periods. I'd put them in groups. Day one is write the directions, day two is when we follow them.

Play the game called "Gossip" or "Telephone." One period.

Put their desks in a circle, put a book in each child's hand and a sheet of paper on their desk, titled "Books I Want to Read." Everyone passes to the right when you say, usually about every 3 minutes. Kids write down the title and author of any books that interest them. This is their list to take to the library this summer. You need a variety of interests: sports, girl books, guy books, fiction, mystery, etc. This takes a class period.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Leenie A.

Parody
Old 05-28-2013, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How about have them write their own parody based on literature read in class throughout the year?
Leenie A. is offline   Reply With Quote

shopgirl78

Old 05-29-2013, 02:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You can do a small group 4 square have the kids the settings of the stories you've read in one square, characters in another, plot/climaxes in another and finally, the resolution. Each heading would have numbered answers from what you have done in the past year (I'd totally let them add an idea or two of their own). Then randomly draw a number from each category and have the students write a creative story that encompasses the randomly drawn setting, plot, characters and resolution. Since they wouldn't necessarily write them in order, you could have a mixture of stories from each group.

shopgirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote

MiddlingAZ

Old 05-29-2013, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Some of the free stuff here (mixed in with a few $ items) looks good.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/B...el/6-8/Seventh

I found this menu of final projects in my files from last year (I am now retired ). It is based on our units from throughout the year. Now that I look at it I see a grammar error. It seems like I was always doing everything in a rush
Attached Files
File Type: doc Final project May 2012.doc (79.0 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by MiddlingAZ; 05-29-2013 at 04:20 PM..
MiddlingAZ is offline   Reply With Quote