How do you motivate reluctant middle school writers? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

How do you motivate reluctant middle school writers?

>

Garson

How do you motivate reluctant middle school writers?
Old 09-25-2013, 03:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm working with a 7th grade girl (one-to-one) who hates to write. Any suggestions on how to break through to enjoying writing?

Garson is offline   Reply With Quote

satwell

Old 09-26-2013, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Maybe try to have her start writting about something she is interested in. Make it relavent to her hobbies or interests. Or let her pick her own topics. If she still doesn't want to write it out, ask your school about speech to text software. The reason she might not want to write is because she doesn't know how to.
satwell is offline   Reply With Quote

movetolearn

Motivating To Write
Old 09-26-2013, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Try asking her why she does not like to write. You maybe able to work around why she does not like to write. Allow her to use her creativity. If she likes to draw, have her draw a picture and then write about it. Also, she can write a creative story. This might motivate her because she is able to express herself and does not feel pressured to write.
movetolearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Leenie A.

Power Writing
Old 09-26-2013, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Writing: Anything by Jeff Anderson - but especially 10 Things Every Writer Needs - it is chock FULL of good stuff.
You could start doing things in his book TODAY - for example - POWER WRITING - my kids LOVED it!!!
Leenie A. is offline   Reply With Quote

Readn gal

Motivation
Old 09-27-2013, 04:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have found that several things help. A motivating topic is great, but more importantly they need to verbalized their ideas first and listen to other kids verbalized their ideas. Make sure to stroll over and listen to your nonproducer's idea during while kids are sharing with a friend or in table groups. While they are all excited about their ideas, have them fill out a graphic organizer or any prewrite you like to use. During drafting time just point to the part of the prewrite the student should be working on. When you get the lost look and cries of exasperation, just point again to the part on the prewrite. When they say, "yeh, but I don't know what i was going to say" you can hopefully remember what they said during the discussion, or you can enlist the help of the table group.

The last motivate right can think of is related to writing related to a content idea. I find that writing about bland topics such as "favorite season" a disaster. If history or science can be brought into the mix everyone will have more direction. I like to create visual organizers with pictures and notes. Write lists of word that relate. Anything to provide background knowledge.

Sorry for typos, I'm on my ipad keyboard!

Readn gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Garson

Thanks 4 ideas on motivating mid. sch. writer
Old 10-11-2013, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for your ideas on motivating a middle schooler who hates to write!

ladydevil24

Motivation
Old 10-11-2013, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with the comments above, the first motivation is allowing her to write about something she loves or is interested in. Some students love to make stories up on their own while others like to write about a real situation they experienced first-hand.

I also find that with my middle school students, they love to make picture books. I sometimes have them bring in pictures of their favorite vacation, holiday, event, animals, etc. and place that picture on a page and write a paragraph about the picture to make a story book. They love being able to see their own pictures with a story they created!
ladydevil24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sunshine330

Old 10-11-2013, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I also agree with what has been suggested above, it is important to find out what interests students. I have found that asking them their opinion on matters they can relate to or are relevant to them also helps. If you are teaching argumentative writing you could ask students to defend their viewpoint on school uniforms, the relationship between video games and violence, or should chocolate milk be banned from schools. Another way to motivate students to get interested in writing is to ask them to bring in the lyrics to their favorite song and help them analyze it for literary techniques.
Sunshine330 is offline   Reply With Quote

lucylou2011

motivation
Old 10-15-2013, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Give students more choice in the topic. Assign the class a general theme- like a narrative. And then she can write about what she likes. Offer to let her use an ipad/laptop to write her ideas down. I once did a lesson creating a Tweet for a book the class read. It was an assignment that the kids loved. Give her incentives, something to work towards. Let her take pictures of her favorite things/places and write about each one of the pictures. To develop fluency, once in awhile assign student to list as many words as she can about a topic like "space" or "Fall". Offer a small prize for the top two list writers. Good luck!
lucylou2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

ethanr1

Old 10-21-2013, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

maybe you should try try letting her write something that she likes, hobbies, food, games things like that

ethanr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Garson

Old 03-21-2014, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks, everyone, for your ideas on motivating a 7th grader to write!