Help

Sixth Grade

doesn't agree with classroom policy

>

bubbasmom03

doesn't agree with classroom policy
Old 09-29-2014, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

my fellow teacher has always had a rule that if a child needs to borrow a pen, pencil or eraser or etc, then the child must remove a shoe and go around without said shoe until item is returned. one parent went nuts yelling about letting her child walk around on a filthy floor and claiming child endangerment (to childs health) and hazing (because this action caused the child great embarrassment), she came to me for advice and i need help on this one, i see both sides. any suggestions?

bubbasmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote

TaffyFL

Bring a pencil
Old 09-29-2014, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If the mom has a problem with it, then she will be sure her kid is prepared. Our extended day program does this and I bet they keep a lot more pencils than me (where I just hand out what they need).
TaffyFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Firefly_7777

Shoe
Old 09-29-2014, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I came to the conclusion that is not a good idea in case of an emergency... Kids need their shoes on. Maybe take a planner or something as as collateral.
Firefly_7777 is offline   Reply With Quote

tester10

In sixth they should be responsible
Old 09-29-2014, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I taught sixth I had a classroom economy where they could buy pencils. I also took real quarters.

If they didn't have money I told them that there were old enough to figure it out without talking (95% of the time they did by borrowing).

If no one would lend them one then I gave them a crayon and said "next time come prepared to learn like a middle schooler" (they knew this was a consequence and rarely happened, it didn't happen to the same kid twice).

By doing this I never gave pencils away and they always came to class ready. This was inner city btw.

I think the shoe thing is weird, and wouldn't want to smell 6th grade feet, but have seen it done before.
tester10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bella_Rose

Old 09-29-2014, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't do the shoe thing because I don't want to smell student feet and because I don't want to be liable in an emergency or drill.

I charge with classroom economy this year, but in the past, I've just collected all the random pencils and pens found on the floor after class each day and put them in a can. If you forgot a pen/pencil, you could use one of the random ones. If there wasn't a random pen/pencil, you had to figure out how to get your work done correctly. That might include writing in marker during class and copying it in pencil at home or sharing a pencil with a particularly generous friend. But 95% of the time, there was a loaner in the can.

Bella_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 09-30-2014, 01:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm kind of with the mom on this one, not because of embarrassment, but because I think the one shoe thing could be dangerous in a fire drill.

Possible solutions:

Hold the planner instead, as someone else suggested, or make some sort of IOU card...maybe even a punch card. They could earn a no-homework pass or something if they go a whole marking period without using it.

"Flag" classroom pencils with duct tape sticking out on the end, so kids don't forget and leave with them.

Explain to the concerned mom the math behind supplying pencils to the volume of students who come through a middle school classroom in a week, and see if she'll donate a few packs to a loner can.

I like the crayon idea too, but the mom would probably still cry embarrassment.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Evergreen

Old 10-01-2014, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Order pencils customized with a saying like "Justin Bieber Fan Club President" or something else equally embarrassing to middle school boys. Have to come up with something for the girls that's embarrassing. They won't walk off with them, and will probably learn their lesson and come prepared. Of course, my 8th graders last year would have made it something to celebrate! ha!
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote

jugno123

Old 10-13-2014, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Mine always frames things positively. Even when she's asking you to correct or improve something, she manages to do it in a way that genuinely feels like a compliment. It's mind-boggling.

vdiaz3181

No way!
Old 10-14-2014, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Sometimes there are certain circumstances where students aren't able to come up with these school supplies because their parents can't provide them. Other time's things get lost. It's not big deal. Pens, pencils, and erasers are little things that, as teachers, we should already have in our classrooms for our students to use. I don't think it is right for teachers to take shoe's or anything from the student to hold while they are borrowing items so that they can do their work. It also can be really embarrassing for the student.
vdiaz3181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Elemteach22

Old 10-14-2014, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The teacher has no business taking a child's shoe, for goodness sake! I agree with the previous poster who said that teachers should have a few pencils for those students who don't have one. If the parent has a problem with it, she needs to go to the teacher and then to the principal.

Elemteach22 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 10-21-2014, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I agree with having a few pencils. But goodness my elementary school kids go through pencils like there's no tomorrow and there's 21 of them. I can't imagine what would happen if I had hundreds of middle schoolers each day who leave the room and would likely leave with my pencils. We get limited supply budgets. I'll buy some pencils but I'm not supplying all school supplies for everyone or I'd have no money for anything else is helpful to have.
Gotta admit on occasion I've done the shoe thing. I stopped because the kids thought it was a hoot. I did get the pencils back though.
One year I did buy a bunch of those little pencils you get for miniature golf. They were like 5 dollars for 150. The kids could use them in class but didn't really care for them because they were so small and didn't have erasers. Eliminated a lot of the problem at a prize I could afford.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 10-22-2014, 02:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
...One year I did buy a bunch of those little pencils you get for miniature golf. They were like 5 dollars for 150. The kids could use them in class but didn't really care for them because they were so small and didn't have erasers. Eliminated a lot of the problem at a price I could afford.
Ooh, I love that idea!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Bella_Rose

Old 10-22-2014, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
I agree with the previous poster who said that teachers should have a few pencils for those students who don't have one.
Why is it my responsibility to supply students who forget, lose, destroy or otherwise show up without pencils? What happened to promoting their responsibility?

I don't supply pencils for free. They have plenty of pencils at the start of the year, and a logical consequence of being irresponsible with pencils is to have to figure out your own solution for writing in class.
Bella_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

ThegreatDZ23

smh
Old 10-23-2014, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

This is a horrible rule. I do not believe children should have to bee embarrassed simply because they need a pencil in class. Their should be some sort of alternative method to use in order to lend out pencils to the students.
ThegreatDZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Leenie A.

Kids LOVE it!
Old 11-02-2014, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I teach in a fairly affluent area. My students have more pencils, pens, markers, etc...than anyone - and therefore, they do not put much value on these items. They lose them, drop them, throw them away at the end of the year, rather than bring them home, or just don't feel like looking for their pens and pencils because it's easier to just ask the organized child next to them if they can borrow one from them. Last year I went through at least a dozen or so pencils a day. i even cleaned out my house of every pencil and pen we had in every junk drawer. I took them to school, and within the week, they were GONE!!! I see the custodians sweep up pens and pencils in the hallways after school and throw them away. This year, I decided to try the "shoe" idea that you are talking about. I honestly still have the same amount of pens and pencils that I started off the year with - minus one or two. Often the kids giggle, and give me their shoe when they borrow a pencil or pen because they LIKE it. How do I know this? I know this because often times another student will offer to lend an extra pen, but the student who doesn't have one declines to borrow one from the classmate. They think it's more fun to give me a shoe. BTW - the borrowed pen or pencil from me is only during the class period that I have the child. I would NEVER allow a student to leave my classroom without their shoe on their foot, besides being dangerous, I think it's gross!
Leenie A. is offline   Reply With Quote