READ ALOUD HELP! (Middle School, Twerp, Schooled, Out of My Mind) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

READ ALOUD HELP! (Middle School, Twerp, Schooled, Out of My Mind)

>

Inspire15

READ ALOUD HELP! (Middle School, Twerp, Schooled, Out of My Mind)
Old 08-05-2015, 01:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been killing myself over which book to begin the year with as my read aloud. I love using a read aloud in 6th grade because I can always tie it in with our current skills, such as plot, theme, characters, genre, etc.
HELP.
My first year I read Middle School: The Worst Years - and I have some wonderful activities to go with this. Last year, I read Wonder, but this years students have already read it.

I also have considered:
Schooled by Gordon Korman
Twerp by Mark Goldblatt
Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper

I have all of these books here at home and have been trying to preview them but I just can not pick. What would be good to start the year off with? I like to send a positive message with my first read aloud. Has anyone had any luck with any of these titles?

Inspire15 is offline   Reply With Quote

owl98

Old 08-05-2015, 02:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have read... Wonder, Schooled, and Out of My Mind to different classes at different points. I've never read Twerp or Middle School: The Worst a Year so I can't speak to those.
If your students loved Wonder, I would consider Out of My Mind. My kids loved the main character so much. It evoked real responses and tears at points. However, it takes place in a 5th grade class (I think) so I'm not sure if that would be a turn off for your middle schoolers. I would read it again to my class this year, but I'm looping, so I'm going to read Wonder this year. I have also read Schooled a few years back, but found it to be just ok as a read aloud and the kids didn't really connect to it. But perhaps they were too young for the story... So I've never used that one again.
owl98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Loved Out of My Mind
Old 08-08-2015, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have to agree. Out of My Mind really stuck with me and it is so beautifully written. It's a great book for visualizing and figurative language.

I read Schooled and it was good as a read aloud but I wasn't blown away but it. I have not read Twerp.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

landsoftly

I felt like a twerp
Old 08-08-2015, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

and was going out of my mind till you schooled me, even tho--I taught middle school.
Seriously, they all sound wonderful.
landsoftly is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 08-14-2015, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I start my 18th year teaching 6th grade next Wednesday and will read Crash for the 18th time. They love it every year.

bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

monalisa22

Out of My Mind
Old 08-16-2015, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am definitely starting the school year off with this book. The beginning itself is just perfect!
I have had this on my self for almost a year and finally read it after seeing it as a recommendation here. I just hope that I don't cry in class when reading certain parts, because there were some emotional sections for me. I'm not sure why but when people in books or movies are just outright mean to someone it always makes me cry. Hopefully reading it once will allow me to be strong when reading it to my students.
Anyway, I'm excited about the book and seeing how my students respond. I think it's a great way to start the year, so thanks for the suggestion. I'm read to check out some of the other books listed here.

Good luck!!! The school year is here!
monalisa22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Leenie A.

Fish in a Tree by lynda mullaly hunt
Old 10-10-2015, 09:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I LOVE CRASH and so do the children.
I also LOVE Out of My Mind, and the kids will too.
However, this year I'm reading them Fish in a Tree.
The kids LOVE it, and so do I.
It's great to also discuss fixed vs. growth mindset.
Leenie A. is offline   Reply With Quote