Help

Classroom Management

Example of what I deal with in my class

>

twin2

Example of what I deal with in my class
Old 10-21-2016, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is nothing compared to some, it just hit me the wrong way. Our bathroom sign out pencil kept disappearing, so I tied it to the clipboard. Convenient for everyone I thought. One of the kids, and I know who, cut the ribbon. Since the ribbon has been cut, the pencil remains on the clipboard. The issue isn't that anyone wanted that pencil. It is that child want control in this classroom. He is dealing with an awful lot outside of school. He can't control those things, so it carries over into school. Sad really.

I am braiding plastic grocery bags together to make a rope that I will use to keep the pencil attached to the clipboard. Let's see him cut that with kiddie scissors!

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Braided grocery bag cord
Old 10-21-2016, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ok little boy. Let's see you cut this with your kiddie scissors!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

kahluablast

Old 10-21-2016, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hear what you are saying, and I admire how determined you are to get this class in line.

I just wanted to say though, that this is a power struggle. The cut pencil stayed with the board, so what was the big deal?

I never worried about that one. If there wasn't a pencil, they had to find one to use. Not my problem. Now I do an electronic bathroom sign out. I am enjoying that even more.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-21-2016, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That's true

irises

velcro
Old 10-21-2016, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

would work too. Try to avoid the power struggle...

irises is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-21-2016, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I never thought of it being a power struggle. This little guy is really testing me. I should just leave it as is. It sure felt good making that cord though. That will have to be enough.

seenthelight

Old 10-21-2016, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I disagree. Now if you made a big deal and engage him, then it's power struggle. This is just a logical reaction. The cord was cut. It must not be very sturdy. Let me make a new one. With the controlling ones, sometimes it's the little battles you have to pick. It's just about how you pick them. In this case, you picked to handle the situation and not to handle him, which was the smart way to go. I've noticed a lot of times the controlling ones are the insecure ones. They take control because they don't trust us as adults to take control of the situation and keep them safe. They constantly test, and the answer has to be a resounding, "I've got this."
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Chain
Old 10-22-2016, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I order those pens with the chain that stick to the table where my sign out book is. The pens seem to last me years. i usually try to keep an eye on this to make sure kids return the pass and sign out.

If you are 100% positive that this kid cut the cord, I would talk to him about it. I agree with others about the power struggle, but I let my students know that I am in charge. I don't "make rules with them" and things like that. However, I do try to give them as many choices as I can.

Maybe try googling "Teaching with Love and Logic" to reach this little guy and this class. Get the kids on your side!
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-22-2016, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Yes, I know he cut the ribbon. I am trying to come up with logical consequences, but sometimes its hard to decide what that is. Thanks for the suggestion. I have thought about this all day. I need to build these relationships so it won't be me against them.

apple annie

Old 10-22-2016, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Logical consequence: Say, "hey don't do that again." And collect the scissors. Then move on. It's not a big enough issue to spend a lot of time on.

apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 10-22-2016, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
...I am braiding plastic grocery bags together to make a rope that I will use to keep the pencil attached to the clipboard. Let's see him cut that with kiddie scissors!
Suggest

http://cdn.twentytwowords.com/wp-con...455.jpg?64bd98
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-23-2016, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Fenwick - !!!

I think the reason I got hung up on this is there are so many issues, mostly with this child that I cannot control. Maybe this was a battle I thought I could win.

20cubby08

Old 10-29-2016, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I taught 1-3 grades for 29 years. It seemed to take me a while to master behavior management but I think I finally did---to a greater degree. Yeah, pick battles. Some had so many battles within them, that was the only way for me to survive.

I got an idea from a fellow teacher that I used for my remaining years. I made library passes and restroom passes (laminated colored paper with the location on it) -- the number of passes matched what I'd allow to be gone at a time. They were kept in a narrow basket at my desk. Many times, they did need permission to leave but there were times in the day when they were more independent. Regardless, when they left, the pass was laid on the student's desk. They had no desire to destroy it and it was so easy to glance around the room and quickly know where everyone was. I'm subbing now and the sign in and sign out procedures are used. I never did that so I don't know how I'd like it.
20cubby08 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-30-2016, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

It is a school-wide requirement for students to sign out. I put the pencil and the braided cord into the cabinet, but have not put it out for use. The students are completely unaware of its existence. Our same pencil is still on the clipboard, so I guess creating that was more of an anger management step for me.

The student has much bigger issues than this pencil. I am currently enjoying his suspension, knowing that the last place he needs to be is at home. It is a guilty pleasure since I really need to find a way to help this child become a productive member of our classroom.

MAMASUZE

I feel your pain!
Old 11-06-2016, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I too have a difficult child, he is always looking for negative attention. He wants me to punish him all the time. Any kind of attention is what he's seeking. I made a pack with him, and told him I refuse to fuss, yell, get upset over the stupid things he tries just to push buttons. I don't care how many shirts he cuts up, or erasers he breaks apart, or the thousand other things he tries just to hear me get mad. I simply ignore most of the things he does. Its when he hurts another child that I get upset with him. He is always doing something to another child when he's not with me. Our special teachers have got to the point that they do not want him coming to their classrooms. Guess what, he goes anyway. They need to learn to deal with him as I have.

This child is a very sweet little boy whom rules the household at home and thinks that he can do that at school. He enjoys power struggles. I just look at him and smile then carry on with what I'm doing. When he gets the message that I'm not going to get upset, he usually puts his head down and pretends sleeping to get out of classwork. I just send him classwork home with his mom (who teaches at my school) for him to finish.

He is learning that I do care about him and his learning, but I do not like his behaviors. He has been in ISS already 15 times this year for things that have happened outside of our classroom. I can't control or manage the things that happen in our special classes. He needs special help that I can't offer, I have far too many other problems this year.

Good luck with your pain in *##, I hope that things settle down for you soon. Always remember that it's not you who created the monster and you can't fix it either. All you can do is love him in the best way possible. Thanksgiving break is coming!
MAMASUZE is offline   Reply With Quote