Help

Second Grade

asking to go to the bathroom

>

missmaths

asking to go to the bathroom
Old 04-23-2017, 12:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi it is my first year teaching. i am currently teaching 6/7 year olds , and i am getting rather fed up with the constant requests to go to the bathroom. I am getting several requests each lesson. Should i just tell them no and to hold it.

they can go at

8.55-9.10
10.20-10.40
12.10-1.10

Any opinions or advice welcome
Thanks.

missmaths is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Bathroom
Old 04-23-2017, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have two rubber ducks, one for boys, one for girls. If they HAVE to go, they just put the duck on their desk and leave. No one else can go until the duck comes back. Cuts down on the power of suggestion.

Never tell them to hold it. Guaranteed one day a child will pee their pants and parents will come screaming.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

MAMASUZE

Getting out of work
Old 04-23-2017, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've notice that my hibitual offenders are often the ones who do not want to do something, i.e. Math facts practice, phonics drills, center time, usually things they do not like. I try to put them off by asking is it an emergency, and that they have to wait until after instruction and if the emergency is still there, then ok place a boy or girls pass on their table and go. Many times the urge has left them and they go on with their work. You give them plenty of opportunity and they need to make good use of it.
MAMASUZE is offline   Reply With Quote

missmaths

update
Old 04-24-2017, 02:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

just a quck update i have decided to just remind the children before breaks to use the bathroom and hen just say no.

today at 9.20 ten minutes after a chance to go, i had 2 girls ask to go, i just said sorry they should have gone before they came into class and to wait. Never came back and asked again and managed to wait an hour until the next break.
missmaths is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Restroom Issues
Old 04-24-2017, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I resolved this in my classroom by calling row/pods after the instruction for a "stretch, bathroom, water" break. Otherwise, I always wanted to know who was in the restroom by a simple request and student taking the pass. That was for me in case of a fire drill, assembly, etc. I wouldn't forget.

Hope you find something that works for you.

kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

learnforever

Two Fingers Crossed
Old 04-24-2017, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I taught second grade for twenty of my forty years. No matter the system, someone always has to go to the bathroom. The best advice has been given...say yes. Everyone's bladder is different...I found going to the restroom first before releasing kids onto the playground helped. Love the rubber duckie idea. Some kids just have to go a lot no matter the rules or system you use. I had my kids raise their hand with two fingers crossed so I could just nod and let them go.
learnforever is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 05-28-2017, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

So we have a class economy and they earn "money" for their behavior color on their chart. Every Friday they can shop at my store. My class gets to use the restroom when they arrive at school. They have 40 minutes they can go. Then they can go:
2 hours later at snack,
2 hours later at recess/lunch,
an hour and a half later when they return from specials
and 30 minutes before the end of the day.

I still have kids who have to use the bathroom, so it costs them $1. It keeps some from going.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 05-29-2017, 02:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think going to the bathroom when you need to is a basic human right, so I believe in generous policies...but, that means dealing with kids who are abusing the policy to go for other reasons. Some things that have worked for me:

If two children are always asking to go together, tell one they can go after the other comes back.

If a child is consistently avoiding a particular task, send them "to try" five minutes before you are going to start that.

If a child is just plain going excessively, explain to them how "worried" you are and let them know that if it continues, they will have to use the nurse's bathroom so she can determine whether to call their parents.

(This one generally stops those just going because they're bored, but once, it did result in a nurse sending a kid home with a UTI.)

It's also good to discuss "bathroom manners" with the class upfront, and to have frequent class trips at the beginning of the year, when they are adjusting to their new schedule. Mention things like trying to go at least disruptive times, getting in and out efficiently, etc.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

"I won't say no, but...."
Old 05-29-2017, 03:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have a sign out sheet, as per our P. As long as I am not giving direct instructions, I let them sign out as needed, one girl and boy at a time. They put a bottle of hand gel at their desk so only one student is out at a time.

If they ask to go when it's not a good time, I say, "I won't say no, but if you can wait until after _____ you won't miss _______."

I do tell them they can only go once after our afternoon class bathroom break, but there are always a couple who are trying to get out of doing their work. I keep a close eye on them to make sure they don't have issues, and touch base with parents if I have a concern.

I try not to be controlling, because anxiety will cause them to go even more!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 05-29-2017, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Unless it's during a test or direct instruction, I let them go one at a time by placing the pass on their desk. When I need the whole class there for a lesson, I ask them to wait, but that's rarely longer than 25 minutes.

Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Bathroom
Old 06-06-2017, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I use the fingers crossed method too. If it's an emergency during instruction and then whenever they have to if I'm not giving instruction.
ReMiller
You can't make them "pay" to use the bathroom. It shouldn't be something they earn. It's a basic necessity. You should rethink that as system, it isn't a behavior to earn. In some places if you refused and they didn't have the "money" you could be sued and/or lose your job.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote