Help

Kindergarten

Strange Remarks from First Grade Teachers

>

Lanieob

Strange Remarks from First Grade Teachers
Old 06-21-2018, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Fellow Kindergarten teachers- some advice needed! Today, the kindergarten teachers and the first grade teachers had their annual end of the year meeting to discuss the kinders moving to first grade. I had 2 first grade teachers make some unusual, rather rude (in my opinion)remarks when discussing my students going to them.
Concerning my July boy student who shows his youngness by crying occasionally- he cried at the Christmas show because he was overwhelmed at the large audience and I allowed him to sit with his mother and watch the show rather than forcing him to sing- very appropriate in my book. His future first grade teacher remarked- well- that is not going to happen in my room.
My other student, who has some anger issues due to family problems and has seen the guidance counselor regularly during kindergarten- his future first grade announced- well, he will be fine- he's with me now. I just ignored both comments, of course. Just strange- I would have never thought to have made these remarks to a previous teacher- especially with not even knowing the student. Very full of themselves- it appears. Any thoughts and has this ever happened to anyone?

Lanieob is offline   Reply With Quote

essence253

Rude remarks
Old 06-21-2018, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Iíve had a first grade teacher make remarks to students directly. Like if weíre walking down the hall and I have to remind a students about the hall being a quiet zone, the teacher sticks her head out of the door and tells the class that they wonít be bring hall talk to first grade. This teacher will also come to the K teachers with her roster to get dirt on the student. We had to go to admin to get her to stop. There is another teacher who thinks that K teachers are supposed to teach kindergarten and first grade standards. She asked me outright why my students donít come to first grade adding and subtracting 2 digit numbers. I simple emailed her the state standards for k and first and told her she was responsible for teaching first grade material.

Donít let the rude remarks get to you. Do what best for your class and when they move on itís the first grade teachers turn. From my experience these teachers are just as you said full of themselves. This is just one reason I hate these types of meetings.
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

chronicfun

they are rude
Old 06-21-2018, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This brings back memories of when I taught first grade and had second grade teachers saying similar things to me and my teammates. They refused to believe our Dibels scores and point blank asked if we really tested correctly. RUDE! Every year we reminded them of the summer slide. One teacher in particular wanted to make sure everyone knew how low her students were at the beginning of the year so that by the end of the year she could show how much they had grown under her teaching. We were also chastised for "coddling" our students. God forbid we show them love!

I agree with you that teachers like this are very full of themselves and that when you get down to it, they lack confidence and have to insult others in order to feel superior.

I loved my teammates and we always welcomed new first graders and took them as they were and helped them grow from there. My only advice is to try and not take their comments to heart and have a stock phrase to say to them. Maybe something like, "I'm sure you'll love these kids as much as I did!"
chronicfun is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 06-21-2018, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have a 1st grade teacher like that. Jumps on them in the hall and makes comments about how they won't do that next year. I actually think it's awful and feel sorry for her students. She isn't very nice and isn't a very good teacher.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-22-2018, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

These rude remarks happen at every grade level and I have heard them throughout my career . Ignore the remarks and hope that in time these teachers teach the grades lower then what they are currently assigned. Every teacher should be required to teach the grades lower then their current assignment.

anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 06-23-2018, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hens gonna cluck. Let it go.

Quote:
Every teacher should be required to teach the grades lower then their current assignment.

I can't--I teach K!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-23-2018, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Time for TK Zia
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 06-23-2018, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

No such thing here! I'm staying put in K.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

SueHue

Old 07-17-2018, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

When I first started teaching, I was hired as a long term substitute. I eventually was hired full time. I stayed there 9 years. However, my first staff meetings, there were some awful behaviors that I could not believe our principal let slide. I was still a sub, so I just watched. Most of those teachers still work there to this day! Some have completed their masters in administration. I would not want to work for them as admins! There was one teacher in particular, I think she was teaching 2nd at the time, and she had K experience, too, she stood up and started yelling at the first grade teachers for not doing their jobs. I was shocked and horrified. This was a low income school. Kids start kinder there without any school experience. They can't even hold up their fingers and say, "I'm 5." They did not know their colors. She was forgetting where the kids started. Of course they were behind in 2nd grade! They were behind before they even started school! You just realize that some teachers are not team players, and you avoid them at all costs. If they say something negative, know they have a different outlook and approach to teaching. You will never mesh. So just stay away! Anyway, as a side note, at one point, I moved from K to 2nd. I had a handful of kiddos twice, in K and in 2nd. The first day of school, my principal (not the same person from the first year) asked me how I liked it. I told her I was so excited to see the growth that those kids had gone through in first grade! I saw it! I had a unique view point. Well, this principal is a smarty pants teacher. In her one year of experience, she already knew the undercurrents at that school. We had a staff meeting that afternoon, and she asked me to please repeat what I said during the staff meeting. I told her it would be my pleasure! So I stood up in front of everyone and explained what I saw. There were a few first grade teachers who wrote me thank you notes afterwards. They said no one on staff had ever made them feel so valued! I guess it's more common to see the deficit of what the kids' can't do (glass is half empty) than to see what they can do. I feel like education is a continuum. They come to me and know stuff and don't know other stuff. No student is the same. It's my job to help them grow. I have goals. Those are the standards. They might not make those goals, but that's ok. We just get them as far as we can. And the fact that you honor the whole child. Well, that's fantastic teaching. You are very valuable to those families! Don't let the duds dampen your efforts. Do it for you. Do it for your students. They will NEVER forget you for what you do!
SueHue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lanieob

Wow!
Old 07-18-2018, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Wow- just a beautiful story! So true- taking kids forward from where they started with you and celebrating the amazing growth. Last year- I had a first grade teacher comment that one of the students I sent to her was "so low". This was a child that had not spoken a word until age 3 and had grown so much by the end of K- of course I was upset by this remark but this teacher just had no idea. Thank you for sharing your wise words!

Lanieob is offline   Reply With Quote

mandamouse123

Old 07-18-2018, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I. . . had a rough year from the coworker perspective. And while I'm not a new teacher, I found this article to be very helpful. I reread it a lot when things were getting me down. Hopefully it can help someone else!

https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/marigolds/

Last edited by mandamouse123; 07-18-2018 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Mistakes, oh my!
mandamouse123 is offline   Reply With Quote