Help

BusyBoard

help! not serious

>

mom23kids

help! not serious
Old 06-21-2018, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, this coming year I'll be teaching pre k math one period a week. OKAY... I have never gone below 3rd grade. HELP! What do I do in Pre k? Can someone give me direction so I can plan over the summer? Websites, anything? Thanks!

mom23kids is online now   Reply With Quote

essence253

Moving Down
Old 06-21-2018, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would start with the standards and pacing guide, if your district or school provides them. If not try to contact another pre-k teacher that can give you some guidance. I would also try to get my hands on the curriculum that will be used. Good luck!
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

I've never taught preK either
Old 06-21-2018, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

but it seems like the biggest focus would be on counting objects, matching written numbers to a number of objects, and developing basic understanding of numbers getting bigger or smaller as you add or take things away. I would also want to do some subitizing activities (search Pinterest, there are lots of materials, or try this https://www.pre-kpages.com/subitizing/ ). Lots of hands on activities, songs, games, videos, etc., and not too many worksheets. I don't think pushing paper and pencils is really appropriate for the littles.

The advice about finding a curriculum guide if there is one is excellent. And an experienced preK teaching buddy would be awesome. Good luck, and have fun!
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 06-21-2018, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't know what state you live in but most states have early/foundational learning standards for preschool.

Incase you are in CA these are the standards
https://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/re/psfoundations.asp

In pre-k you focus on counting and cardinality, one to one correspondance, understanding that numbers stand for an amount of objects, number symbol names identification, seriating, sorting by color size and shape, basic plane shape names and patterns.

May I suggest Heidi Songs counting cards and number songs videos.

I also reccomend felt board stories that have counting and serration in them. Monkeys jumping on the bed, frogs sitting on a log, little ducks who went out one day. The small medium and large Apple game. They need visuals and engaging experiences to learn. They also need to handle and manipulate objects with their own little hands. I also recommend you look up finger plays and dances. They need to move.

Enjoy! I taught pre-k for many years and it was always fun. Tiring, but fun. You have to be ON for every minute of instruction. Also keep in mind that they can only focus for very short periods so you need to a lot of short activities and a lot of movement. Paper and pencils will not get much use in your pre-k class at all
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Gimet

Old 06-21-2018, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In addition to things already mentioned--- receptive and/ or expressive identification of numbers, measurement, ordering by size, use of positional words, use of Math Language and data analysis (making graphs). Lots of manipulatives.

Goldilocks and the 3 Bears is great for ordering by size and using Math Language (small/ medium/ large).
Brown, Bear, Brown Bear is good for teaching colors.

Have fun. Preschoolers are the best!

P.S. I tried to attach the check list to our portfolios just to give you general ideas (I Can Statements).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Math List for Preschool Portfolios.pdf (91.2 KB, 16 views)
Gimet is online now   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 06-22-2018, 03:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you all!! Sing Dance Oh, poor kids, why would my admin give me to them? What are they thinking???

1956BD

Look for easy math picture books to read
Old 06-22-2018, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

to them as read alouds. You can find many lists online. There are tons of counting books I would think that would be a biggie for that age group.

https://www.fractuslearning.com/best...-for-children/

Maybe do some art where you have ten item, five items, twenty items. Then show how if you put groups of the pictures together you can 100 items! The items could be anything they are studying in other subject. For example if they are studying flowers, trees, animals or dinosaurs in science you could use those.

Learn some counting songs on YouTube this summer. Teach them to your students.

Introduce the idea of even and odd numbers. Show them with counters how you can divide an even number into two equal groups but you can not do that with odd numbers. You can do this even using the kids in class and divide them into groups.

Buy some large stencils of numbers from a hardware store. They are normally used for painting your address in front of your home on the sidewalk or somewhere else. Teach the kids how to use them with them prepped on paper. Then they can do a crayon rubbing of numbers 1 -10. Then they can draw that number of objects under or above their number.

Have a rice or corn seed bin with plastic magnetic numbers mixed inside as well. The students can find numbers 1-9. Or find a number and write and draw a pic of that number or just play and feel the numbers as a tactile experience.

Have students work in groups of two or three. Have them lie on the floor and shape their bodies as each number 1- 9. Take photos of their success and share at a later date on screen where they can all see.

Play board games like Chutes and Ladders where they have to learn to roll a die and count as they move their marker. Put the die in a see through plastic container for use.

Once they have learned how to do some of these number activities from your modeling have have them practice them in rotations.

Okay that is all I can think of right now. Good luck to you! Remember you are teaching the basics of number sense. Make it fun. Repeat many times so it begins to sink into their brains. You can do it!

Cute ideas here worth exploring.

http://busytoddler.com

Reminders of what you already know but forget when teaching older children.

https://www.wikihow.com/Teach-Math-in-Preschool

http://www.scholastic.com/parents/re...s-preschoolers

http://www.pbs.org/parents/education...-kindergarten/

http://www.pbs.org/parents/education...bs-kids-games/

Last edited by 1956BD; 06-22-2018 at 08:35 AM..
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 06-22-2018, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you , thank you so much for all the ideas and the vote of confidence!!!!

1956BD

You are welcome
Old 06-22-2018, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Let us know how it goes next school year.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote