Help

BusyBoard

To Keep or Not to Keep

>

Sleddog

To Keep or Not to Keep
Old 07-17-2018, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We recently had an issue in our school where a teacher decided to leave and take a wonderful job at another school. She cleaned out her room over the summer and took nearly everything in the room with her. Quite a bit of her room was funded through grants that we applied to as a school or that she applied for through Donor's Choose. Our principal was not happy. She feels that the items should have stayed in the school since the teacher used the school name and pictures of the students in order to gain the classroom materials.

Do your schools have any 'rules' about who the items belong to when the teacher does the grant?

Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-17-2018, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Things that our school purchases definitely don't go with the teacher.

We would have conversations about Donor's CHoose stuff - but our district has a policy. I would guess most teachers would be allowed to take the stuff they got if they were going to another school within the district. Otherwise, if it was stuff worth money, they might have to leave it (flexible seating, robotics...)
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

That's stealing!
Old 07-17-2018, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When you do a grant for a particular school, the items get approved as gifts by the board of ed., and they belong to the school. Whatever the intention of DC projects, that's what needs to be adhered to. P has final say.

I've had many projects funded through DC and they are meant for our population. If I moved within the building I could take them with me, but not to another building (unless they were also Title One, which they're not) , even within our district. Definitely not to another district.

The materials you got for the school also need to stay. I think the P should call her, and ask for the materials back. On the Donors Choose website there is a list of funded projects, which should be given to her as proof of what needs to be returned.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 07-17-2018, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Last I saw, it was Donorís Choose who had the rule about items staying with the classroom not the teacher. Principals may allow teachers to take the item, but the default position is the teacher leaves it behind.

It would never even cross my mind to take school grant items!

Principal should definitely call and ask for them back. Thatís basically stealing.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

breezey

Old 07-17-2018, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Anything not purchased with my own money would have to stay...

breezey is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

Consumable
Old 07-17-2018, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That's why I almost always do consumable stuff for grants/donor's choose. Especially because that's where most of my money goes...

Except I did do balls one year but they were lost by the end of the year anyway.

I figure there isn't anything I really need that isn't consumable (or subscriptions)

I don't want to have to worry if I leave my school (not that I plan on ever leaving...) about leaving things...
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Keep/not keep
Old 07-17-2018, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If it was purchased with your own money, you keep it.

If it was purchased with money from any government agency, fund, grant, or donation made through such, it stays in the school.

I don't know much about Donors Choose. If the teacher does all the grant writing herself, isn't that the same as if she bought it herself? If I'm wrong, and admin is part of it, then I suppose it stays with the school.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-17-2018, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If the school purchased the materials, they definitely stay there. I don't think it matters if the materials were purchased with grants or not. If this is stuff the next teacher is going to need, I agree with the pp who suggested that the P call the teacher and tell her she needs to bring the materials back. I know at my school, the supplies we get from grants are often curriculum materials that everyone needs.

Like others mentioned, the official policy for Donor's Choose is that the materials stay in the original classroom, even if the teacher moves. That seems unfair to me, because like the pp said that teacher is the one that did all of the work to get those materials. That is the policy though.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

essence253

Keeping Classroom Materials
Old 07-17-2018, 09:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

In my district a teacher can take things bought with state funded stipends when transferring within the district. Teachers can not remove anything bought with Title 1 funds or with school funds. We have to keep an inventory that is turned in during end of year check out.

While that is the rule, every summer I see teachers selling school purchased materials on facebook.
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Old 07-18-2018, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I never did Donor's Choose, but in my district we've had to leave things acquired through grants in the classroom, even when moving to another school within the district.

It's frustrating when you have done the work to get the grant for something specific you wanted but had to leave it, then the person who took over your classroom doesn't want it. That's what my experience has been.

beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Mixed rules
Old 07-18-2018, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

In our district, it depends on the funding source. Teachers who personally write grant applications for their classrooms can generally keep the items for their new classrooms, unless the principal puts up a stink.

If the PTA buys it, it stays at the school.

I agree with beagles2 that sometimes these items languish unused if the teacher has to leave them behind.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

NCLATeacher

Changing schools
Old 07-18-2018, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I left items purchased with school funds. My desk supplies (staplers, tape dispenser) were all purchased with my money, so they came with me. Sorry to the new teacher.

The only "questionable" item is a pencil sharpener. I had a really good sharpener in my room that I purchased myself. It was there before I left on an medical leave, but there was a different one (cheaper quality) when I returned. It came with me since it apparently something happened to my property in my absence.
NCLATeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

sisterwoman

Old 07-18-2018, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Our district/school requires that you leave anything purchased with school or Donor’s Choose funds. Our principal even expects the items to stay in the same classroom.
sisterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 07-18-2018, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Our district set a policy that the materials are to be kept in the school they were requested for. We had a teacher a few years back to left teaching and took all her DC materials with her.

This is from the DC website:
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

Thank You
Old 07-18-2018, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Thank you all for your advice. We have decided to put something in our teacher handbook so this wonít become an issue in the future.

I appreciate you taking the time to help out!
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 07-20-2018, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

At my site we are allow to take everything but curriculum if we move within the building or district. If we leave the district we leave the stuff. We are allowed to gift it to others within the school who want it though.

I personally had a Donors Choose project fund right at the end of a year when I knew I was leaving a school. I called DC and asked them to put the funded project on hold and not complete it and deliver the materials until I moved schools over the summer. That was my right and within regulation since the items didnt become property of the school until I received them. I had the donated items sent to my new school in August and completed the project with thank yous, photos, and impact letter with my new school. They now are property of my current school though. I couldnt take them to a new district now.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote