Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Clothing/style question

>

mrteacherguy

Clothing/style question
Old 07-27-2018, 02:46 PM

At my school, the principal has set a dress code for male teachers that requires us to wear collared button down shirts or polo shirts. Wearing of ties with button down shirts is encouraged but not required.

I don't mind wearing ties, and have a handful of "fun" ones that I actually enjoy wearing. I've never been that up to date or knowledgeable when it comes to style/fashion, and didn't realize until after my first year that it's not considered fashionable/stylish to wear a tie with a short sleeve button down shirt.

Is it really that bad to wear a tie with a short sleeve button down shirt (assuming the colors/style go together)? I live in Phoenix, AZ, where long sleeve shirts can only be comfortably worn three to four months of the school year (even rolling up the sleeves doesn't always help much).

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 07-27-2018, 03:15 PM

I found this: https://www.menshealth.com/style/a19...shirt-and-tie/

Looks like itís fine if you wear hip skinny ties.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 07-27-2018, 03:22 PM

I think it all depends... Are you in a job where you need to present a certain persona in order to advance to the next level? This is true for my boys who are in tech sales but I dont think its true for most teachers.

I also understand why you want to stay fashionable but you also need to balance that with practicality. Therefore I would wear clothes that work with the enviornment where I live. In AZ you need clothing that is as cool as possible so go for the color coordinated short sleeves.

If anyone disses your fashion then tell them to go screw themselves. And that comes from a retired Math teacher who just had a few glasses of wine on a Friday night,
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-27-2018, 03:24 PM

I think it looks a little odd, but I am NOT a fashion expert at all. So I shouldn't even be answering your question. Sorry, I'll bow out
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 07-27-2018, 04:41 PM

I'd say wear what you want as long as it doesn't go against the dress code.

If you want to wear ties, I'd wear them with long sleeves when it's cool and wear polos when it is warmer.

love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Comfort is more important in my opinion
Old 07-27-2018, 05:01 PM

I would wear short sleeve shirts if I were you due to the warm temperatures where you live. The tiger the cotton content of the fibers the cooler you will be. But you also have to consider how much 100% cotton will wrinkle. Find the blend for you.

If you want to add a tie I think that is fine. I looked at pictures of men on Pinterest wearing short sleeved shirts with ties and I think they look great.

Buy colors that you like and that look good with your skin tone. Buy the best quality you can afford and make sure you purchase items that fit well. You will look very professional.

If I were you I would skip the tie on Fridays and wear a polo shirt in one of your school colors.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 07-27-2018, 05:13 PM

I donít think short sleeve dress shirt and a tie is odd at all!
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

I googled skinny tie short sleeve button down
Old 07-27-2018, 05:32 PM

and found many images of very fine looking young men wearing the look. They looked great! I say go for it, look good and be comfortable!
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

Old 07-27-2018, 07:54 PM

If the tie is a skinny tie, short sleeve button downs are acceptable. Thick ties should only be worn with long sleeve button downs.
-Per my father's rules of a gentleman

I personally always like to dress for success so I wear a button-down with a tie and a vest with slacks. I wear the vest because I cannot stand having a loose tie, I just feel incomplete, plus I stick my lanyard down there so it isn't swinging all over.
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

Roll up your sleeves
Old 07-27-2018, 08:53 PM

A male teacher at our school wears a tie everyday with a long sleeved shirt with the sleeves rolled up ó he always looks very good ó maybe thatís because my husband (whose not a teacher) does the rolled up sleeves thing, too.

Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 07-29-2018, 06:38 AM

When I was a student in the 60s, all the men wore suits and ties. In the 70s, things started to loosen up a little. I started teaching in the late 70s, and some men still wore suits. The mainstream male teacher look, though, was a shirt and tie, but no suit jacket. Some men began to abandon the ties, although male principals continued to dress up more. My usual look through about 2000 was a shirt and tie, no jacket, and I'd wear short sleeve shirts when it was hot.

For the last 18 years or so, I've dumped the tie. I generally wear a nice shirt with a collar (sometimes polo). I still see some fellow male teachers wear ties, but it doesn't seem to be that common anymore. Some male principals now dress very casually.

If you're in a more formal situation wearing a suit and tie, I think long sleeves are a must. In a classroom, it's quite different. If you decide to wear ties, I see nothing wrong with wearing a short sleeve shirt.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote