Help

The VENT

Wishing I could quit

>

mrteacherguy

Wishing I could quit
Old 11-29-2018, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A few years ago, after a rough time as a first year teacher, I had an amazing year as a second year teacher; it was one of those years that embodies the whole reason I became a teacher. I had an awesome group of 6th graders, there were a few with attitude/behaviors, but for the most part they were a great group of kids and everything just seemed to go well that year.

Since then, for the last several years it's just been down hill. I'm in my sixth year, have a group of 7th graders (I made the mistake of moving up with them) that make almost every day a difficult one; oftentimes I end the day and can physically feel the stress in my body, and several times a week - sometimes a couple of times a day - I'll have a class period that I wish I could just walk out of, as the behavior/lack of respect is so bad.

Admin claims they are aware of how difficult this particular group can be, but little is done to help me. I talked with my assistant principal about how overwhelmed and helpless I'm feeling with this group this year, but nothing has been done about it other than to blame me or reprimand me for sending "too many" students to RTC (the responsible thinking classroom, the sole purpose of which is to remove disruptive students so that we can actually teach our class).

I'm feeling so conflicted, because part of me wishes I could quit and move on, but at the same time I'm not the kind of person who wants to quit and I don't want to let down my family and coworkers and the handful of good students.

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Change
Old 11-29-2018, 10:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you can get through this year, try fifth grade. They are similar to sixth graders which you say you enjoyed, and less like seventh graders who can be difficult. Middle school grades are tough, and not for everyone. Many good teachers I've known would never dare teach those grades, so don't beat up on yourself too much. Find what works for you!
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I'd have to be flat broke with kids
Old 12-01-2018, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

to feed with no other options to teach 7th graders. This may sound horrible, but I did not even like my OWN kids at that age.
Like a PP mentioned, you probably would be better off to either move down a grade or 2 or up a couple of grades.
It seriously takes a special personality and humor to teach 7th graders.
I do not have it. I have a cousin and friend who do. They are very unique people.
Before throwing the towel in, I'd recommend switching levels.
to 7th graders!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

MightyTeach

Old 12-01-2018, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have taught 3rd, 5th, and 7th grade - I prefer 5th grade. A grade level change could be just what you need now - 7th grade is really tough!! I am at the end of my career and wish I had never moved up.

Wishing you the best - don't give up = as soon as you can change grade levels!
MightyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Healthyself

Healthyself

Okay to Move On
Old 12-02-2018, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I work with adults in ESL now. I left a poisonous environment. I don't make the
money I once made before, but I am better off. You aren't a failure if you leave.
The educational system is failing teachers. If you leave, you'll find something else because you have to. Just be more selective in the next school you choose if that is possible. You've been teaching quite a while, and many people
Don't even get through their first year. You will manage . Good luck.