Help

Substitute Teachers

Want me back?

>

lovetosub

Want me back?
Old 04-08-2019, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Then maybe make sure your teachers are more appreciative and helpful.

We had testing this morning for two hours. And yes, I went before my students arrived. But after an hour or so, I really had to go again. I watched as all the other teachers around me monitored each otherís classrooms so they could seek some relief. Did anyone offer to help me? No. So I finally broke down after 110 minutes and asked the next door neighbor to watch my students so I could go to the bathroom.

O. M. G. It was like asking for a kidney. WTH? She rolled her eyes, sighed heavily, and expressed annoyance and impatience in demeanor and body language. Wow. Thanks for that.

This is one of five middle schools in the district and it has the hardest time getting subs. Wonder why? So tempted to say something on my way out, but I donít want to be considered rude. Ugh.

lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 04-08-2019, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I struggle with this too. The school I sub in has no interconnected classroom doors, and often I ask another teacher to cover for me unless I walk across the courtyard to another classroom, thus leaving my class technically unsupervised while I try to find someone. In elementary, there are often 3 hour stretches with no break and sometimes I need to use the bathroom in that time. I never know what to do.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 04-09-2019, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Consider my advice to vote with your feet and leave this school in your rear view mirror.

This sounds like the primary center that I am not fond of. Here the teachers have added "Wo" on pieces of paper to the "Men" restroom signs; "There's more of us than there is of you" I've been told.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 04-09-2019, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, this is one of the hardest parts of teaching. There's a nearby middle school and high school where I used to sub a lot. At times, due to late lunches or covering a class during a prep, I often had to wait four hours or more. I used to be able to make it that long, but can't anymore. Teachers are supposed to supervise in the hall during class changes, so there's not enough time to go then. No, I'm not going back.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Old 04-09-2019, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Stop subbing there. They sound like a bunch of pills.

travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote
sometimesub

sometimesub

Old 04-09-2019, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree that teachers should be more appreciative and helpful to subs. Many of them operate under the assumption that subs are people who can't get "real" jobs so they start out with a superior attitude. Others have done some subbing themselves, and those are really the best teachers to sub for and with.

Still, I have to say that, rude as it was, the eyeroll was probably because teachers have to find ways to deal with the lack of bathroom breaks. I've been on blood pressure medication for several years now that includes a water pill. Every health care professional I've seen looks at me cross-eyed when I tell them I take it in the evening but it's a fact that it's easier to get up during the night to use the bathroom than it is for a teacher to be sure of getting a break during the school day. As for those other issues that female teachers face, I just routinely prepped for an emergency well in advance.

Sirsubalot

Old 04-09-2019, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We men have it worst since we often have one restroom with one stall, and there are three elementary schools that do not give us bathroom keys to the outdoor men's room.

We need to hope the key is hanging on the office wall, and at one school, the key was missing for two weeks.

Unfortunately, one of these schools is my favorite otherwise.

The high schools have about 40 restroom keys attached to the room keys, but the elementary schools can't find the the time to make a few restroom keys to give the men subs.

The women have restrooms in the lounge, so there is no problem.

I am going to one of these schools tomorrow.

In my larger district, there is one school I refuse to go to anymore since there is no men's room, just a multiple stall women's room and one stall unisex.

What angers me is that when I need to wait for this restroom, it is usually a woman coming out.

This should be men only. The women already have their own multiple stall restroom.

I once had to use the restroom in the nurses office, and the office manager said I could not use that.
I am outto there!
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

geoteacher8

Common problem
Old 04-09-2019, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

While I agree that the nearby teachers should have been more accommodating, this is a common problem all around in the teaching profession. In my building, we use the same bathrooms as the students because the staff bathrooms are too far away. You either have to use the restrooms during passing time with the students, or you wait until one of your two preps during the day. In short, you just get used to it!
geoteacher8 is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

To pee or not to pee
Old 04-12-2019, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

That is the question.

I'll tell you right now. If nature calls, I'm not risking an embarrassing situation.

Either staff covers for me when I need to go badly, or I'm bringing a diaper and port-a-potty next time I sub at that district.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 04-12-2019, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The faculty bathrooms are never close to my room. At one school, it’s about a 5 minute walk to it depending on where you are. Ridiculous, but I don’t like using the student ones. If I catch a kid smoking weed or something I have to report it and I don’t need that drama. I go at lunch and just hold it for hours.

Last edited by Fractured; 04-12-2019 at 04:41 PM..
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 05-15-2019, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I always use the restroom between periods if necessary. Many times i am late getting back, oh well, the students can wait in the hall. One time I had an energency and needed to use the restroom in the middle of class, so I actually emptied out the entire classroom and had them wait in the hall. It was one of those days I was not given a prep. When you work subs more than 3-4 periods in a row, they better expect that we need to use the BR at some point. This goes for full time teachers as well.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote