Help

Substitute Teachers

Elementary PE

>

artladyhere

Elementary PE
Old 04-09-2019, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I only sub elementary a couple times a year and I've subbed PE a couple times in the last week and every grade there are kids that say they're sick and need to go to the nurse. I"m guessing these kids are trying to get out of PE (everyone has come back with a mint in their mouth from the nurse). Any tips/tricks to curb this behavior? It's hard to tell who is really sick and who is pulling my leg. I had a first grader today tell me he felt like he was having a heart attack!!??? WTH?

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 04-09-2019, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is not always easy to tell, but I always give students the benefit of the doubt just in case.

There have been a few occasions where I was almost sure the student was exaggerating and just wanted out of class. However, I would let them go to the nurse just in case, and they would come back to the class with a note that they were going home.

I do not want to chance getting in trouble for keeping a student in class because they are probably not sick. We can get in trouble for incorrect assumptions.

In the PE case, I would tell them they must come back with a nurses note they we can show their teacher and parent.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 04-09-2019, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It can be difficult to figure out who the frequent fliers are when you donít know the kids. Unless a kid is obviously sick, Iíll usually say, ďLetís watch it for awhile and seeĒ. Most will either give up or forget about asking, but if they look green or visibly wilt after a while, Iíll send them.

Last week, I had one who claimed she couldnít remember her name or where she was after falling down ON THE GRASS at recess. The teacher on recess duty sent her to the nurse, so I knew the girl had been checked.

I smelled a rat, especially since she had one of the other girls in the class practically doing her work for her. I said since she was in such bad shape, she needed to sit at the teacher table so I could keep an eye on her. Hah! You could see that she knew I knew she was full of it. Somehow she made a spontaneous recovery while sitting at the teacher table. Nice try, kiddo.
mooba1 is online now   Reply With Quote
sometimesub

sometimesub

Old 04-09-2019, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As a sub, I just let them go to the nurse and leave a note for the regular teacher about it. They'll know whether you're dealing with a chronic PE dodger or not. I taught elementary PE for a year and one thing I did then was have some really tedious worksheets on hand that kids could do if they were too "sick" to participate in PE but not sick enough to go home. I also some some coloring sheets for kids who actually did have legitimate reasons why they couldn't participate, but I didn't give those to the malingerers.

MaineSub

There's really no right answer...
Old 04-10-2019, 03:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I encourage subs to take the "safe" play, but I also think it's possible to manage this. I don't make it easy for a kid who wants to visit the nurse by asking questions and suggesting consequences and alternatives. I also may ask the kids, "And what do you think the nurse will do...?"

One of the questions I have is why these kids want out of PE but that's probably a different topic.

I might suggest "sitting on the bleachers..." for a while. I've seen some miraculous recoveries after a few minutes, particularly when their classmates are having fun. You might also try addressing this right at the beginning. "If at any time you are feeling sick, take a seat on the sidelines..."

Mooba's got the right idea. I do understand a sub who takes the safe way and just lets them go but understand that when the kids catch on, you'll end up with an epidemic.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Elementary
Old 04-10-2019, 03:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Ah, the mysterious diseases of elementary students at electives!

I taught 2nd for many years. My response was always go get a drink of water, it’ll help you feel better. 9 times out of 10, that did the trick. A short break resets the brain, and most times they will forget they ever asked.

If a student came to me a second time, I let them go to the nurse. It’s like a screening process...if the art of distraction fails, they might really be sick.

Same goes for the bathroom brigade - if they ask once, ask them to wait a couple minutes until a break in instruction. If they ask again, let them go.
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 04-10-2019, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

They come back with a mint???!!! I've never heard of such a thing! I find that hilarious, no offense to your main issue.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 04-10-2019, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yes, a mint! That's the first time I've ever seen it. Maybe the thought is a peppermint helps with nausea? But, I see that only as an incentive to head to the nurse!

I subbed the same PE job again today and got just as many frequent fliers wanting to head on down to the nurse. I thought of your responses and delayed them as much as I could....take a minute on the bleachers.....get a drink and NO one actually went to the nurse from PE today!
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 04-10-2019, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

In my district classroom teachers are required to teach 30 minutes of PE daily in grades 1-3. As a sub, I donít question when they need/want to sit out. Not a hill Iím willing to die on. They sit on the benches and have to remain quiet. Youíd be surprised how many suddenly experience a medical miracle and participate.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 04-12-2019, 03:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
I subbed the same PE job again today and got just as many frequent fliers wanting to head on down to the nurse. I thought of your responses and delayed them as much as I could....take a minute on the bleachers.....get a drink and NO one actually went to the nurse from PE today!
Ta da! Sometimes things really are simple.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemEd

Too funny!
Old 04-12-2019, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

They come back with a mint? So the diagnosis is that they were suffering from bad breath?

Seriously, I never say no to a child who asks to see the nurse, or one who asks to use the bathroom. I'd rather let 99 go who didn't really need it than deny one who did. It's up to the teacher to sort it out.
ElemEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 04-12-2019, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I just let kids go. Most of the time the nurse or health center just sends them back. They want to go to the bathroom, I let them go. If some kid has some kind of disorder or medical problem they never let me know anyway. I was at a school today where they won’t let any student leave the classroom for the first or last 20 mins for any reason. IMO, that’s just a dumb rule that makes it harder for teachers and students. I just teach and and hs so I’m sure it’s difft than elementary as far as how you deal with it.

Last edited by Fractured; 04-12-2019 at 06:38 PM..
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 04-12-2019, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
I only sub elementary a couple times a year and I've subbed PE a couple times in the last week and every grade there are kids that say they're sick and need to go to the nurse. I"m guessing these kids are trying to get out of PE
I sub in K through 2nd daily and believe me...there's a constant stream of requests to go to the restroom or nurse. Especially when those students are trying to avoid a subject they don't like or that requires effort. ( There are always sudden nurse requests just before PE as well.)

Most lesson plans I see include the teacher's restroom policy. I often have to conduct PE with the class, and the kids are only allowed to use the restroom and get water before or after PE.

As for the nurse requests, oftentimes it's a false alarm or pretense. So I suggest the student first get some water and put their head down and rest for a bit. There's usually a quick recovery. Elementary school nurses are inundated with students just there to evade class (usually repeat offenders). So as a sub, you are expected to be a bit savy about the nurse requests.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 04-12-2019 at 07:58 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote