Help

Substitute Teachers

I am indirectly responsible for fight and suspensions

>

Sirsubalot

I am indirectly responsible for fight and suspensions
Old 04-11-2019, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

All day elementary PE is one of the easiest jobs, and it pays extra. I always take it when it is not too hot.

Today I encountered some self inflicted bad luck. I got a poor unstructured lesson plan that I made worse.

My 2nd class of the day was a small 4th grade class with 20 students. The plan said that after jogging laps, the students were given a choice of four games for free play.
I had forgotten the part of the plan that said students were to remain on the black top.

I knew this plan was not very structured, so I did not stop the kids when 75% of them went over to the jungle gym or the swings. A few students said that the PE teacher sometimes allows this.

I suspected the PE teacher would not approve of this, but I did not think it was worth the effort to make them leave and have them get a ball to play one of these four games, especially since the average would be only five students a game, and not more structured then the jungle gym.

For about 30 minutes, the kids were doing fine, , so I moved over to the other side of the playground since we would be going in soon.

Just a few minutes after I moved to a farther observation spot, one of the students said that a boy and girl had gotten into a fight. I saw the boy's face was bloodied. I sent them both to the office.

I was told by their teacher they had been suspended.

I was soon brought into a room by a teacher who is a PE overseer. She reprimanded me by saying this PE is structured, so I can not allow free time, and that I might have to fill out a report.

I heard nothing more of this the rest of the day, and was not asked to fill out a report.

If only I had not allowed the jungle gym. I think the fight was behind it where I could not see.

These plans usually call for a game for all students to play together. Sometimes there is no plan, so I will just have the whole class play the same game.

I got a bad plan and made it worse. DARN IT!

Hopefully i will not be ousted from this school, or the district where I already have three complaints.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-11-2019, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If only we could have hindsight before something happened.

We all make choices sometimes that don't work out for the best. I hope things are okay for you.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 04-12-2019, 03:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my experience, organized free play activities or games sometimes work very well, but not always. When I see things descending into chaos (not infrequently), I honestly don't care what the PE teacher will think. I stop everything and have the class play a calm organized game together. I've found that most PE teachers don't mind. As long as the kids are doing some safe physical activities and not getting hurt it's generally fine with them.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Ugh.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wouldn't sub for elementary PE even if I was promised $1,000.

Sounds like liability.

I don't get paid enough to deal with such dangerous liability.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 04-12-2019, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wouldn’t sweat it, no one really got hurt. I never sub for PE. If they ever ask me to cover it for a period I’m just going to refuse.

Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 04-12-2019, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It is usually an easy day, but it must be hard to fill, which is why it pays $35 more per day.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote