Help

Substitute Teachers

end of year lts

>

substeph

end of year lts
Old 04-12-2019, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone on here ever been hired to do a long term sub from late in the year (May) till the end of the school year? I'm curious because I have an interview next week for a lts until the end of the year. It would be about a month. If so, how was the experience? I'm just wondering if it would be crazy because the kids would be so checked out already and it would feel more like babysitting.

Who knows if I'd even get it. It seems all my interviews are equivalent to winning the lottery lately.......impossible. But just wondering if anyone had any success with it. Thanks in advance.

substeph is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

A thought
Old 04-12-2019, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You may well get handed all the end of year responsibilities that take serious time to perform. You'll be responsible for report cards, any recording on cumulative files (the famous permanent record),doing inventory of classroom materials, assigning students to next year's teacher and organizing any files for them, putting away materials and displays for summer cleaning, etc., etc. (i.e. whatever else shows up on the end of year check-out list for your school).

It took me about a week after school ended to finally be able to leave the building. For a sub, I assume this will be unpaid time.

Yes, behavior can deteriorate at the end of school and add in "it's a substitute!" and you'll need to have some great activities planned. The administration may want to keep noses to the grindstone to boost next year's test scores when many kids could care less. It's summer!
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 04-12-2019, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did one a few years ago and it was great! It was for a teacher Iíve subbed for many times prior. She planned the last 5 weeks and told me to do whatever I wanted for the last 2 weeks, as long as there was some language arts and math each day. She did the report cards, her college student daughter picked up anything that she needed for report cards (I graded the papers). Only glitch was some iready testing that I wasnít informed about, but we managed to get it done. I enjoyed the experience.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 04-12-2019, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did a two week one last year(last two weeks of middle school--8th grade). It was more classroom management than anything else. They are ready to be done and really pushed the limit with me on everything. There seemed to be something fun for them every day....talent show, yearbook signing, practicing for their graduation, graduation, last day breakfast, grill out for lunch, 8th grade field trip to Dave and Busters, etc. When it came to actual classwork, they did not care AT ALL. They knew their teacher would be out the rest of the year. One day the plans were for the students to each write a letter to their teacher talking about how the year went for them in that class. SOme 8th graders told the teacher, "Fu*K Yo*" in their letters. O.M.G. They were done.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

geoteacher8

Old 04-12-2019, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was a LTS in the IDS room for about six weeks at the end of the year, and it went fine. I am still at that school as a regular education teacher. I interviewed for my current position while doing that LTS.

geoteacher8 is offline   Reply With Quote

substeph

Oh boy
Old 04-12-2019, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Broomrider, I wouldn't be able to stick around an extra week. I'm going on vacation (out of country for 12 days) right after school ends! I hope if I get it that I don't have to stick around to clean out the room and do inventory, etc.
substeph is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I'm thinking
Old 04-12-2019, 10:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

you might want to ask exactly what end of year duties will be required if you are selected. Perhaps you could ask what actions need be completed when school ends and who could help guide you through the process.

It's good if there aren't any surprises on either side.

The extra week is likely due to my strong belief that if I took the classroom apart and packed away the pieces before school ended, the children would feel they were on vacation and stop working and (almost) behaving.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote