Help

BusyBoard

Real life uses of doubles facts?

>

Haley23

Real life uses of doubles facts?
Old 04-22-2019, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My P sprung on me that she wants to come see me teach math this week as summative evals are due and all of my walkthroughs/observations have been done during reading.

I have a low second grade group currently working on doubles facts. One of the basic things I need to do for our rubric is explain how they will use this in real life. It's been a long day and I'm not usually planning at 10 PM . Can someone help me out?

I googled and found some pinterest charts, but none of them seemed to really explain why the knowledge of doubles facts was needed. The only thing I can think of is explaining that it's an efficient strategy to add two numbers together, which may come in handy when doing something like counting out money. Other "real world" examples or a better explanation of why specifically doubles facts are needed? I mean, I probably wouldn't use that information when counting money, but it was the only "real world" thing 2nd graders might understand that I could think of...

My 3rd graders are working on perimeter and I have a slide that says, "When could I use this?" with examples like measuring canvas or fabric for an art project or building a fence, garden, or pool. I'm wanting a similar slide for the 2nd grade group but just can't think of anything that specific. I'm sure someone on PT has more brainpower than me right now!

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Maybe these will help
Old 04-22-2019, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

https://www.reference.com/education/...d1af900992a587

https://emccss.everydaymathonline.co...Lesson_2_3.pdf

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/265149...29603/?lp=true

http://langfordmath.com/ECEMath/Basi...ublesText.html
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 04-23-2019, 01:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Tough one. How about baking, cooking, even just measuring how much drink powder to put in.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 04-23-2019, 02:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like tyrex's idea - if you needed to double a recipe whether that be for food or a drink!
If you want to buy two of the same thing at the store. Do you have enough money/how much will it cost?
Buying tickets to a show/concert/sports even for you and a friend?
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

doubling
Old 04-23-2019, 02:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Doubling is also a common strategy. Example: If you know 5 +5=10, then 5+6 is just one more. I was always taught in math class that our brains can learn and remember doubles easily.

There is a book too called Double the Ducks with a lesson plan to go with it.

Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

d_ee

Nice visual (double vision ..Ha)
Old 04-23-2019, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

http://2ndgradesnickerdoodles.blogsp...s-freebie.html
d_ee is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-23-2019, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I knew someone on PT could help; thank you!

I used the doubling for a recipe and buying a ticket for you and a friend, and I talked about how it was another efficient strategy you could use when doing things like figuring out how much money you're spending when shopping or eating out.

Thankfully P came today, so at least I don't have to keep stressing about it all week. I honestly haven't had a P observe me in math in the past 6 years (previous P and AP who evaluated me last year just gave me the ratings I did for myself on my self-eval ) so I truly have no idea what she'll say. When she walked in, I hadn't picked up the students yet (group is after my lunch) and I said something like, "Just so you know, this group hasn't happened for quite awhile because of state testing." She said, "Oh that's fine, I really just need a glimpse." And then she proceeded to stay for the entire 30 minutes, which is as long as our formal observations! That might not be a good sign...

1956BD

Oh I bet she enjoyed your lesson
Old 04-23-2019, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

and that is why she stayed a half hour. Wait to worry. Life is too short to start worrying before you know there is a problem.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Update
Old 05-05-2019, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Shortly after the lesson, P sent me my summative eval rubric with nothing marked for math and still a "1" for the math standards. I am proud of myself because I did NOT panic. I figured there had to be a technical glitch or something. If the lesson was so bad that she could not even mark "developing" standards, then she would come talk to me, right? About the help I clearly needed?

So I went into my summative meeting last week and she asked if there were any standards I wanted to talk about. I told her I needed more feedback on the math lesson as there was nothing marked and it just said "1" for everything. I was right; it just didn't save when she had clicked it. She told me she thought it was an excellent lesson and I ended up being rated "accomplished" for the math standards.

Thanks again for everyone's help!