Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Tell me about instant pots!

>

PEPteach

Tell me about instant pots!
Old 04-24-2019, 08:58 AM

I'm a little late to the game. I sometimes see a recipe that looks good, and then am sad when I discover it's an instant pot recipe.
-What do you like/not like about them?
-What do you like to make in them?
-Do you feel they are safe?
-Are they worth the money?

PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 04-24-2019, 09:49 AM

Most instant pot recipes could probably be adapted to the crockpot, if you are savvy enough to figure out how to adjust it. I however am not! I got mine about two years ago and use it 3-4 times a week. I definitely think itís safe as long as you follow the instructions. You can buy them pretty cheap now, for around $50.

I make rice, which comes out perfectly every time! I could never do that on the stove without standing over it.

I make soups, roasted chicken, yogurt, chicken/rice/veggie dishes, bone broth, and cheesecake! My favorite recipe site is This Old Gal. You can also join the FB page which was helpful when I was starting out. I like that itís so much shorter cooking time, and once itís in there, like a crockpot, youíre done! One pot to clean.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTea

Old 04-24-2019, 10:46 AM

I have one as well, and I like it because it's quick and like KatieViolet said, it's one pot to clean, and it's easy to clean. I just recently tried making hard-boiled eggs in it for the first time and it's so quick and the eggs come out perfect and easy to peel. When I forget to thaw meat, I can cook it frozen in a short period of time. If you cook for a family, I think it would be great...I'm alone so I don't use it as often, but I do like it.
I might add that I was afraid of it at first, but it's really very easy to use. If you're worried about the pressure exploding like I was, there is a button on the top that goes down to let you know it's okay to remove the lid.

Last edited by TexTea; 04-24-2019 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: Added more
TexTea is offline   Reply With Quote

Vet3Teacher

Old 04-24-2019, 11:21 AM

I love mine. They are safe as long as you let all the pressure out before opening the lid. That's where the accidents happen that we read about.

I love that I can make pretty quick meals. Don't let recipes fool you. You won't have frozen chicken to completely cooked in 5 minutes. The time on any recipe is whenever the pressure finally builds up.

I have eaten more at home because of the instant pot.

LOVE IT!
Vet3Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

momteach310

my take
Old 04-24-2019, 11:22 AM

I have one, but rarely use it. I guess I just haven't found the right recipes. The few things I've tried all kind of have the same mushed taste. It takes more time than I thought it would - but yes it is quicker - but somehow I imagined 'instant' pot meaning super quick. I have friends who swear by theirs, I'm just not a big fan.

momteach310 is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 04-24-2019, 11:53 AM

It's worth the money if you use it. I love the recipes on Pressureluck, and they gave me the confidence to try more recipes so it's getting more and more use here. There are several IP recipes in our meal rotation and even DH is using it more. He's sort of retired with time on his hands and likes to cook.
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 04-24-2019, 12:19 PM

I just got one! Since it's just the two of us, I got the 3 quart. I hope I don't regret not getting the 6 qt. I've only cooked one meal in so far - pork chops. I didn't cook anything else in the pot with them. They were yummy and so tender.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 04-24-2019, 12:32 PM

I got one for a good price on Amazon last year. My best friend raved and raved about hers, so I had a gift card and got one. Truthfully, I haven't used it a lot. My family is picky so there aren't a lot of things I can cook in there that they enjoy. If you and your family will eat most anything, there are LOTS of recipes for it. Pinterest has loads and there are FB groups you can join where members share recipes. Definitely try to get one on sale in case you don't use it frequently.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

fish2

Old 04-24-2019, 03:02 PM

This is the best kitchen 'gadget' I've ever had. In fact, I now have 2 of them - a 6qt and a 3qt. I was using one, cooking one thing then cleaning the inner pot and cooking the 2nd thing. DH bought me the second one. I use at least one 3 - 4 times a week. I never liked cooking ribs before, now it's so easy. I use it for chicken, vegetables (corn on the cob is better in the pot), pot roasts, dry beans, yogurt... the list goes on. The one negative thing I can say is that I no longer can use the excuse of "I didn't take any meat out of the freezer" to go out for dinner! I wish I had one before I retired, it would have made like so much easier. I still don't understand how I can put a pot roast in the pot, along with carrots and potatoes - cook them all the same amount of time, and the meat be falling apart done but the veggies are not total mush.
fish2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 04-24-2019, 03:56 PM

Just yesterday I used mine three timesó hard boiled eggs, steel cut oats, and yogurt. I use it for those things as well as BBQ ribs, pulled pork, cheesecake (a bit putzy but turns out fabulous), beans for hummus, chicken and vegetable stock, chicken soup, and rice to name just a few things. I am not on FB but use the site pressurecook recipes for a lot of what I make. As with any gadget that gets hot, you need to be careful. I have no qualms about its safety.

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 04-24-2019, 06:48 PM

Thanks, everyone! I think you've convinced me! Now for the research...
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote