Help

Second Grade

Clip chart vs ClassDojo

>

TheGr8Catsby

Clip chart vs ClassDojo
Old 04-30-2019, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I've used both in some form or fashion, but I'm wondering which you would recommend for self-contained second grade.

Clip chart: Pros: I feel like this takes less instructional time, and students can do it themselves without causing a major disruption. It's also a constant visual. Cons: It's stuck in the room, and there's a lot of "clip down when you get to the room" for hallway behavior. It's also harder to acknowledge a lot at once or whole groups without it being a major ordeal. When I'm trying to identify positives, it leads to me standing at the clip chart, which seems like a waste of time.

ClassDojo: Pros: Portable (with laptop). Parent communication. Easier to give multiple students points and group points. Random feature. Specific behaviors listed. Cons: Tied to the computer (it may not be nearby or it may be occupied). "How many points do I have?!" asked 14 times a day because it's not visual.

TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 05-11-2019, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't use either. I use a envelope system for tickets for appropriate behavior where the children who get a certain number of tickets get a weekly reward. I do a lunch with the kids. I also do a smiley face frowning face system for the whole class. Frowns for not appropriate behavior and smiles for the class doing what it needs to do. I give no rewards for the day, but I bank the children's successful days and give them a reward once they have done 9 days of smiles.

I find Dojo annoying to keep track of when doing it for one child. I cannot imagine it for an entire class. I find the clip chart is to in the child's face for children who really need behavior support. So you end up with off the wall child being even more off the wall.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Clip chart
Old 05-11-2019, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've used both and I definitely prefer the clip chart. Super easy. For parent communication, I just email them at the end of the day. That's only if they get down to red, so thankfully it doesn't happen often.

With whole group, I just give a single Skittle or miniature Marshmallow instead of worrying about the chart. I typically only give a whole group reward if someone else compliments the class.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

beachmom68

Pbis
Old 05-12-2019, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't do either. I use class dojo for pictures and parent communication.
We are a PBIS and Conscious Discipline school. We do way to go tickets for individuals with weekly drawings. There are also class feathers, mascot is the seagulls, which are earned for whole class positive choices.
beachmom68 is offline   Reply With Quote

emgirl

No to clip charts
Old 05-18-2019, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Theyíre not allowed in my district. Thereís been research done on how bad they are for kids.

emgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

PrimaryTeach8

Old 06-13-2019, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

ClassDojo for sure! I don't like clip charts at all. You can download the Class DoJo app on your phone and use that (like at restroom breaks and use it when walking around the room). You don't have to be tied to your computer at all.

The no visual is the one downside to ClassDojo. But I've figured a way around it. Give them a hundreds chart that says ClassDojo at the top. But edit it on the computer and replace the prize amounts with the reward name in the box instead of the number (for those prize amounts that have rewards). Students get and lose points, you keep track but so do they. They can shade in the number with a pencil when they earn a point and erase it when they lose a point. Or they can use erasable pens.
PrimaryTeach8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 10-12-2019, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I ditched the clip chart for dojo this year.

My students can trade their points in for (free to me) incentives on Fridayís. Due to this, it cites down on them asking how many points they have. I do project the points on the smartboard multiple times a day though.

I, however, only use dojo to reward points for things like: homework completed for the week, passing AR tests, mastering math facts, etc. itís incentive based only. I donít use it for behavior and they donít lose points. They get a neutral for no homework competed so parents get a notification.

I handle behavior in the moment and if needed I contact parents regarding continuous behavior issues. Everything else gets a natural consequence and is not connected to dojo.

I LOVE the message part of dojo, especially since many of my parents arenít native English speakers. Dojo translates everything for them/me.
I also love the story feature to update parents and that I can see who has viewed it. You can also see when your messages have been read which I like (they canít see if youíve read their messages to you).
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote