Help

Substitute Teachers

Curious what you do for summer income

>

cassie23

Curious what you do for summer income
Old 05-29-2019, 03:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today and tomorrow are my last two sub days for the year. This has been my first year subbing (after years at home raising kids). I have had some great sub experiences (3-week Kindergarten job) and not-so-great. I am curious what subs do for summer income if you're not someone who's already retired. I may look for different work since I'm no one's preferred sub yet (even though I do a good job and always leave a friendly note) and am just not making enough doing this. There is a lot of competition for jobulator jobs in my districts. If you're not already on your phone, they are gone in a flash!
Thanks for any input. Everyone, enjoy your summer!

cassie23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 05-29-2019, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Iíve done a few things: elementary summer school (when itís offered), summer school SEA, and summer camp craft teacher. Fortunately my husband has a good job, and my job helps offset college costs. I have a couple retail applications in one is for a craft teacher at Michaels. I get requested as a sub quite a bit so I am pretty busy. But Iím really looking to find something else. After 12 years, Iím kinda done with it.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

cassie23

Me, too
Old 05-30-2019, 02:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hope you get one of the jobs you applied for. I feel I have pretty good classroom management skills but yesterday was two half-day jobs in Kindergarten and they were tough! It truly felt like herding cats. I'm looking for something else this summer too. I think if I stuck with it I would eventually be busier but my husband lost his job a month ago which makes finding something full-time kind of a necessity now. Thanks for your reply!
cassie23 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 05-30-2019, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I work at a big box home improvement store year round. In the summer my hours increase to 40+. I also get health, dental, and vision insurance. We are always hiring cashiers. If you have the ability to deal with BS this may be a good summer job for you.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sublime
Old 05-30-2019, 08:47 AM
This message has been deleted by Sublime.

whd507

Old 05-31-2019, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I drive an 18-wheeler coast-to-coast all year to pay for my substitute teaching habit. (until I can afford to return to teaching)

but seriously many retailers need summer help, as do summer programs, daycare centers and camps.

I used to sub full-time and had a night job, and a part time job at a retailer where I used to be the manager, summer made it tough, but i scored a summer school 2 month job once that made it better, then the next year I was a substitute janitor who worked all summer getting the buildings cleaned and painted, it paid better than long term subbing, but school without kids is a little weird...

whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

I Sub For Summer School
Old 06-24-2019, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My district has kind of a secret summer school program for special needs students in which I only found out about last year. I found out from the Board Office that subs with a teachers' cert can sub for summer school, even though it is separate from AESOP and you are expected to be available the few times they call you in, however pay is better at about $150 for a half day. Therefore I do that, but fear they will knock me off that list if I ever have to tell them No, when called in.

It would be nice to find a part time retail job, but the problem is they all expect you to be available on weekends, and I refuse to do weekends...thats the only time I get to spend with my wife/family/friends.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ohana

Old 08-14-2019, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yup that's the problem I kept stumbling on as a sub. Broke summers and this summer car expenses .. NOT cheap... thus my leap from sub to para. Sub pay is so ridiculous.
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 08-15-2019, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

...I actually got rid of my car last year. I live in an area where there are a lot of public buses anyway, so it really saved me a bundle of money without the car insurance, maintanance, etc..I simply pay about $75/month for unlimited bus rides each month and it works out. It is also going Green. I was initially judged and looked down upon around the schools when other teachers noticed me walking from the bus stop, but after I tell them its my choice to go Green and get more exercise, they applauded me for it. Go figure! But its a great idea to ditch the car totally if you live in an area with decent public transit options. I even take Uber sometimes when the wait for the bus is too long. Still cheaper than owning or leasing a car.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote