Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

new appliances

>

overthemoon

new appliances
Old 06-02-2019, 03:33 AM

We are trying to buy new appliances for our kitchen, but having a problem with the stove/oven. We have to have a slide in oven with the controls on the front. Our house is about 30 years old and the counter tops are 24" in depth. The stoves that we have been able to find are all 28 to 30 inches in depth, meaning they will stick out about 4 or 5 inches beyond the counter top. Evidently, in newer homes, the counter tops are larger. Has anyone else had this problem? I think it will look kind of strange to have the stove stick out that far.

overthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote

giver1940

Have you tried
Old 06-02-2019, 04:32 AM

Home Depot? Their web site says they have them. Don't know if you want gas or electric, but it looks like they have both.
giver1940 is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTea

Old 06-02-2019, 05:27 AM

I recently had a similar problem. I thought I needed a slide-in stove but when they came to install it, they told me I needed a drop-in. There would have to be some tweaking before install. Come to find out there was a furnace vent where the stove was to be so I had to have more tweaking than I anticipated. You may need a contractor to come and build up the sides to make it fit. My stove was too low for my counters so he had to build it up. I'm sure there are ways to fix it, but of course, it is an additional cost. I would talk to the people to whom you are buying the stove to see what they suggest or talk to a contractor. It looks fine now, but I had to get a much more expensive stove than I wanted because drop-in stoves are hard to come by.
TexTea is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-02-2019, 05:52 AM

I detest appliances that stick out. Because Im in a condo with a small kitchen, my counters are only 25 deep (plus I dont want really deep cabinets where things are hard to get to). I got a counter-depth refrigerator because I really hate giant refrigerators that stick out into the kitchen. I have a standard oven and though it sticks out 1, it seems flush with the cabinets. I just looked and there is such a thing as counter-depth stoves. All specs are online. You may just need the magic word: counter-depth.

Good luck! I hate dealing with stuff like this.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

overthemoon

Old 06-02-2019, 10:45 AM

Thank you all for the information and advice. We are going to go over to Lowe's with tape measure in hand and actually measure the stoves ourselves, because even online it states 2 different depths for some of the ovens. Hopefully, we can find one that will fit. Thanks, Amiga, for the info on "counter-depth". I will ask about that.

overthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote