Second Grade

New 2nd grade teacher from Kindergatten

>

acannonnw

New 2nd grade teacher from Kindergatten
Old 06-22-2019, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So.....
I was just 'volun-told' that I would be moving from kindergarten to 2nd grade. I've taught 2nd before, but it's been a minute.

How does my room change? How do I prep over the summer (books to read, good 2nd grade tpt, etc)?

I was thinking of a theme--Hollywood, with a black&white pautographed pic of each kid on a wall and as they ace a test or something, they can add a star to their pic?

I'm just all over the place..I need to settle in on something...

acannonnw is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

2nd to,kinder
Old 06-22-2019, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did it and never looked back.

Seconds already know how to do school...they are ready for your routines and procedures. Any theme you choose is fine with them...they donít care.

Second graders can be surprisingly insightful. Feed them intriguing questions and you will thoroughly enjoy them.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

MAMASUZE

2nd Graders
Old 06-23-2019, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They are a joy to teach. Most of them are at an independent stage and can work on their own pretty good. You have to be patient with them, some will drive you crazy wanting attention. Small groups and centers have worked well for me over the years. But make sure the students know exactly what's expected before you turn them lose to work on their own. I usually practice a center for a week or so before being put in the center for just them.

Second graders are curious they want to know everything! They will love you to the end of the moon if they feel that you love them.

Lots of read alouds are something else that they like. I try to begin the year with short chapters...Gooney Bird Green is a favorite, Snot Stew is another one that mine like.

Amy Lemons (Step into 2nd Grade TPT) is someone I really like. She has lots of good material.

Just take a deep breath and go day by day. Before you go spend crazy, wait and see what curriculum you have to work with. Be prepared, they'll know if you're not.

You'll do great, Good luck!
MAMASUZE is offline   Reply With Quote

123rabbit

Mamasuze
Old 07-02-2019, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am also new to 2nd grade. What do you think about Amy Lemon's Write On bundle and her Magic Math Bundle ?? They are each over $120. What do you suggest?
123rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Testyteach

I'd wait ...
Old 07-07-2019, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm going to 2nd also, and starting at a new school. I have put off thinking about setting up for the year, but we start back in a couple of weeks so I'm figuring I better start getting a game plan together. I'm full of nerves now just thinking about checking out my room and getting set up. As far as curriculum, I'm going to hold off until I get a feel for the school and my ask my grade level team what they do. I definitely need to start setting up and thinking about rules, procedures, and routines at the very least though.....wishing for a good start for us all...

Testyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcee

2nd grade is awesome
Old 07-19-2019, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love 2nd grade! Your theme sounds cute. I wouldn't put stars for "acing a test" though. Don't shame any students in public. You could do Star of the Week with a Hollywood theme, and pick a student each week to share something about themselves.

You will still do guided reading, but the books will be harder. Some kids will be really good readers, so you might want to find some easy chapter books for them to read.

Think of 2nd graders as kindergartners who already know how to "do school"! You should have a variety of seating options, or if your school is not into flex seating, the students should have a desk or table.

You will like 2nd grade.
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

beachmom68

2nd grade
Old 07-20-2019, 09:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love teaching 2nd graders! They love school and want to learn! They are independent and enthusiastic.

I have created resources in my TpT store that help me with my class. If you are interested, I'll send you my store link.

You'll love 2nd grade!
beachmom68 is offline   Reply With Quote

acannonnw

You guys were SO RIGHT
Old 08-24-2019, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

THANKS EVERYONE!
you were right, I LOVE SECOND GRADE!!!

We've started off strong... we are doing Journey's for Reading....Im noticing that a few are not as strong with sight words as I'd like. To be honest, I'm not real sure how thg hey made it to 2nd 🤔.. is there a particular sight word list that they should already know? If not, where do I start? I thought about doing sight word phrases...but I dont know....

Also, how important are fluency passages? Thinking about finding some in TPT to do as a partner thing once a week???
acannonnw is offline   Reply With Quote