Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Calling all Cocker Spaniel Parents

>

Seriously

Calling all Cocker Spaniel Parents
Old 06-29-2019, 07:37 PM

I know there are some PT members that own Cocker Spaniels, so I have a food question for you. What type of food do you feed your Cocker? My girl has started to get really itchy on her back, ears, and paws. I have had her on Nutro, but I think she might have an allergy and the food might be part of the problem. So, I have been in the process of switching her to Natural Balance. Lo and Behold, the news came out with that dog food study and her food is on it. So, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good food for dogs with skin and ear allergies. TIA

Seriously is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTea

Dog food
Old 06-29-2019, 07:54 PM

I'm not a cocker mama but I have a white minischnauzer who has sensitive skin. I feed her Royal Canin dog food. They have formulas for the different breeds. A vet recommended it for my dog because she was a picky eater, but what I like is that they understand the different types of dogs and make dog food to suit them. They may have a specific one for dogs with allergies. You can't get it in the grocery store, but PetSmart or Petco would have it. It's about $10 cheaper if you order on Amazon.
TexTea is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 06-29-2019, 08:01 PM

I donít have a cocker, but have dealt with doggie food allergies. I feed mine Orijen. Itís grain free and made with human grade meat.
seenthelight is online now   Reply With Quote

jvar87

Seenthelight
Old 06-29-2019, 09:34 PM

Orijin is in the dog food list warning released yesterday too. It seems all the premium brands are on there. I feed my dogs (not the same breed) Blue Buffalo and that's on there too. I think I am sticking with it though. It's such a tiny number of cases compared to how many dogs eat the food, and it looks to be only the grain-free according to some articles. Our food does have grains.
jvar87 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Dog
Old 06-30-2019, 04:59 AM

I have a cocker spaniel. I feed her lamb and rice kibble made by Kirkland/Costco. She does get dry skin on her back so I add a dribble of olive oil to her food. This seems to help.

arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

whiteturtle

Old 06-30-2019, 05:00 AM

Purina Pro Plan weight management savor is what mine eats. She used to have seizures and they stopped when I switched her food. I am certain it was due to food allergies.
whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 06-30-2019, 05:08 AM

I grew up with a Cockapoo and he had very sensitive skin.

Cocker Spaniels are prone to seborrhea and dermatitis. It can be a reaction to the food, but a vet can help you get to the root cause.

We had to feed our Cockapoo lamb and rice food and wash him with a special antiseborrheic shampoo.
choppie70 is online now   Reply With Quote

Barb/Ohio

Cocker Spaniel
Old 06-30-2019, 05:08 AM

I have a 14 year old cocker spaniel. One thing the vet recommended for dry skin was taking an Omega gel capsule once daily. I purchase them at the vet's office. She eats a special dog food (Prescription Diet) for digestive reasons.
Barb/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 06-30-2019, 05:31 AM

I have a lab who has a food intolerance to chicken. He had itchy skin, ear problems and stomach issues. I tried several high end dog foods my vet recommended and there was no improvement. The only food that showed improvement was a grain free food. My vet said to get him off the grain free dog food. I have had great results with Purina Pro Plan salmon and rice. There are many different Pro Plan dog foods to choose from.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Seriously

Old 06-30-2019, 09:44 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I have been thinking about the Royal Canine Cocker Spaniel, so I might try that one. I hope that she will like it and it will help with her allergies. (Fingers crossed)

Seriously is offline   Reply With Quote

MayCee

Cocker Spaniel
Old 06-30-2019, 02:29 PM

I have 5 cocker spaniels- well right now I have 10, I have a litter. I feed Purina Pro Plan Focus. I have also used Royal Canin for Cockers, but I can’t get my feed store to stock it . With either of those I don’t have problems with allergies. I also don’t have any tummy issues with either of them.
MayCee is offline   Reply With Quote