Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Advice for senior dog needed

>

garverl

Advice for senior dog needed
Old 07-16-2019, 04:53 PM

Our 16 year old dog has started having accidents on the carpet. Has anyone had success with wee-wee pads or have any other suggestions? His accidents donít occur in the same spots.

garverl is offline   Reply With Quote

stella.ivey

Dog
Old 07-16-2019, 05:00 PM

I would bring him in to his vet to make sure that he doesnít have a UTI
stella.ivey is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-16-2019, 05:04 PM

I had success with dog diapers. Best of luck
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 07-16-2019, 05:39 PM

When that started happening with my senior dog I thought she had a UTI. Turns out she had diabetes. I'd suggest getting him.checked at the vet. If he's also drinking a lot of water that's a sign of diabetes. (Despite the diabetes, my dog had a good quality of life for 2 more years with meds.)
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 07-16-2019, 07:45 PM

Definitely start with the vet if you haven't already. The fox could be as simple as giving an antibiotic. When my old guy couldn't hold his bladder anymore, I started putting belly wraps on him. They work well but like a baby, you need to monitor this for hygiene and health reasons, like you would a baby wearing diapers. Another option would be to.confine the dog to a certain area that can be cleaned or that is lined with puppy pads. When I worked and could not monitor the belly wraps, I left puppy pads in his favorite pee spot. Then I came home and cleaned up the pads and mopped the floor, putting new pads down. He was not a dog that did well confined as he had serious anxiety issues when confined. Another option is to take the dog outside on a schedule to prevent some of.the accidents, but its hard to keep that kind of schedule when you work or leave the house.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

Old 07-16-2019, 10:18 PM

Mine started having accidents due to kidney failure and drinking a lot of water (she's 15). She uses pee pads really well, especially at night when she doesn't get let out as often. I just put them out in areas she tended to like to go more than other places. I also limit what parts of the house she has access to. During the school year she has to stay in one room during the day.

If she was a boy I'd put a wrap on her, but she isn't bad enough that I want to put a diaper on her.
WIBadgerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 07-17-2019, 01:28 PM

A UTI and newly discovered diabetes in the past with a senior dog. Needed twice a day shots for diabetes, and she lived a happy life for about 1more year. (I had never given a shot before and was worried that I wouldn't be able to do it, but they were very easy to give, one in the morning and 1 at night. The dog didn't mind the shots at all!)
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

garverl

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2019, 03:25 AM

Thank you for your advice. I have an appointment with the vet. I suspect diabetes is a real possibility - drinking lots of water and panting.
garverl is offline   Reply With Quote