Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Question about band and instruments

>

tyrex

Question about band and instruments
Old 07-29-2019, 12:29 PM

DS has been playing for awhile. I have been paying a rent-to-own instrument since his school doesn't have instruments to lend. I am going to go ahead and buy him an instrument.

I can pay a damage purchase fee for $70 for a year or $120 for 2 years which would cover fixing the instrument if it breaks. I didn't ask for details, but assuming it is reasonable in what it covers, is this worth it?

I am not musical and don't know anything about instruments.

tyrex is online now   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Instrument
Old 07-29-2019, 12:56 PM

I guess it would depend on the instrument. My son plays trombone. We own it and other than replacing a trigger pull (less than 25 ) nothing has ever needed fixing.
javamomma is online now   Reply With Quote

Heidi

instrument
Old 07-29-2019, 12:58 PM

What instrument does he play? I played clarinet and tenor sax all through high school and college. I performed in pep band, marching band, jazz band, and performance band. I also played in a local jazz band that played in local bars on the weekend. Not once did I ever need to have my instrument repaired beyond a random pad replaced, a bent key once, or purchasing a new mouthpiece. If he has been a responsible child who takes care of his instrument, it would make more sense to just bank those dollars for the "in-case".
Heidi is offline   Reply With Quote

NoElephants

Old 07-29-2019, 01:48 PM

Yes, depends which instrument. I played saxophone all through college and never needed a repair that cost that much.
NoElephants is online now   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 07-29-2019, 01:48 PM

Story time.

I had some off-brand clarinet to start out on. There's no fixing those. It worked fine for my purpose, until it didn't. I was at marching band rehearsal one day, and my clarinet essentially snapped in half. It didn't LOOK like it was a problem from far away. It just wouldn't play any more because two essential wires were broken.

I went to the director's office the next day (not abnormal) planning to tell her about it. She told me "[Homegirl] quit (we expected that). We bought a clarinet for her. Take it, and stop playing that hot mess off-brand.

So, yes. Instruments can unexpectedly break.

TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

band
Old 07-29-2019, 02:05 PM

Our kids had flutes, french horn, trumpet, violin. They started with rentals from a downtown music store. Then we bought upgrades. DD was getting off the band bus* with her flute and some one pushed. Her flute was bent and not repairable. We checked with homeowners and learned that we could take a rider on our policy to cover all the instruments. It wasn't that much.

*cases were left on the bus when playing at parades or sporting events.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 07-29-2019, 02:20 PM

Our son played trumpet all through school. I think we had something very minor done once.

Also have you considered buying a secondhand or even a new instrument rather than rent to own? Rent to own is usually an expensive way to get a not so great instrument. At least worth pricing the options.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 07-29-2019, 02:34 PM

He plays the trumpet.
tyrex is online now   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 07-29-2019, 02:52 PM

Iím a band teacher. It really depends on the brand of trumpet. Some cause zero issues. Others are problem after problem. It also depends on how careful the kid is. Overall, assuming the instrument isnít a hot mess brand and your kid is reasonably careful with dis/assembly and cleaning, you likely wonít spend that much on any repairs it may need.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 07-29-2019, 03:38 PM

I play saxophone and clarinet professionally and have had to transport instruments to gigs. Accidents can happen. I was playing a gig with my band, and right after our last song my saxophone went flying off the stage. The instruments are very delicate and one little thing can knock it out of whack. Repairs can cost. I take care of my instruments as a professional, but sometimes you canít help things from happening, especially if you play at a lot of different places and have to transport a lot of instruments around. I would go with the two years to be safe.

jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 07-29-2019, 06:05 PM

I would ask what it covers first. Most instruments do not break, especially if its new. Depending on what it is, it could possibly in the future need to be repadded or something like that, need something small replaced....not sure if it would be worth that much money unless it cover the "little" things.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-29-2019, 07:07 PM

I was in band for many years (5th grade-11th grade) and I never saw anyone have any issue where their instrument broke. I would consider your financial situation- if on the off chance something does happen, do you have the money to repair or replace it? If so, I'd probably take the gamble that it wouldn't be needed over putting down extra money up front. If something happened and you absolutely couldn't afford to repair/replace, then I might consider getting the insurance. My experience with insurance is that they weasel their way out of paying any way they can- YMMV of course.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote