The VENT

Pet peeves

>

ICrazyTeach

Pet peeves
Old 07-30-2019, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

1st day back for PD today. Annoyed by:
* Personal side conversations (rude, rude, rude)
* Admin leaving and then not having a clue
* Bringing your kid with you (not because of an emergency childcare issue, but just because you didn't want to bother getting childcare)
*Uncomfortable chairs
*Cliques

Surprisingly the PD was actually good

ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Dogs?
Old 07-30-2019, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Did anyone bring their dog? My last two teaching partners both brought their dog to school to PD days and even sometimes when students were there. They never bothered asking about allergies, fears, etc. That is my pet peeve.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-30-2019, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

None of our teachers with young children use childcare any more. It drives me crazy. None of us with older kids ever had our kids at school for meetings, and these are always do.

The talking bugs me, too, especially if not on topic. Sometimes it is on the topic and the presenter should realize that their audience needs some time to discuss before moving on.

Our admin leaves all. The. Time, too. She doesnít even know that she missed things. Once our entire meeting was completely a result of how she had handled a situation and the facilitator was talking down to the staff like we had done it. I finally had enough and stood up and said so. I wasnít sitting there another second.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-30-2019, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Side conversations are rude and teachers are the worst offenders.

I canít imagine bringing your dogs.

I think people think they can just bring their kids (especially if the kids go to the school). This makes me insane. Itís a work day. Find a sitter.

Admin leaving or not attending is another pet peeve. My principal doesnít show up to PLC, meetings, PDís or anything else. If weíre expected or be there, they should be there too.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Pd
Old 07-30-2019, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

WOW! I didnít realize that happened at schools. Our admin made it clear that PD is a work day and get a sitter/childcare for young children. If you showed up with a child, she gave the person an opportunity to find a babysitter. If not, she sent you home. That happened once many years ago. No one ever brought their child to a PD again.
Side convo doesnít bother me. Usually, it related to the topic at hand that may need clarification.

LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Pet peeves
Old 07-30-2019, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Side conversations drive me insane. Not that Iím usually paying much attention to the presenter, but I want to at least look like I might be. When I switched grade levels, one teammmember was someone I hadnít worked with before. She would talk nonstop. I would have to tell her to stop talking to me because I was trying to pay attention. So rude.

At whole district PDs, the Ps usually stayed with their school and would sit in on variousngrade level presentations. But anyone higher up (superintendent and her cronies) would jet out right after they introduced presenters.

And 9 out of 10 times, these PDs were because Supe bought some new program for us, without our input.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 07-30-2019, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our PD days always have kids there (all are school age). We turn them loose in the playground or a classroom. They're fine (also very small school, so there aren't many of them).
Tiamat is online now   Reply With Quote

Marcee

PD Peeves
Old 07-30-2019, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What about sitting still the whole time while the presenter reads the slides -- THAT THEY HAVE PRINTED OUT FOR YOU --and does nothing else? No discussion, no time to absorb. Grrr

Or the one PD I went to where the presenter walked around the room and if you were "off task" (e.g., doodling in your notebook, looking at your phone/ipad, on the wrong screen), she stood by you and glared at you until you stopped. That one was the absolute WORST! You couldn't even get up to use the restroom without her stopping and glaring!

I agree about all of the other ones!
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 07-30-2019, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
You couldn't even get up to use the restroom without her stopping and glaring!
I would go to the bathroom at least 4 times and be on my phone the entire time. I have no tolerance for that crap.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

My Pet Peeve....being read to.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We have in our contract that we can not be read to. One of our APs tried reading to us from the powerpoint and was promptly shutdown by our union rep. I still think about that when someone reads to you like your not capable.

klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Agree
Old 07-30-2019, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Even though I find most PDs frustrating and repetitive...DITTO ON THE SIDE CONVERSATIONS!!!!!!!! Come on, teachers. Really?! Iím super easily distracted so I often have to move to another area of the room if I hear side convo. I DO make an attempt to pay attention during PD, though I rarely can sustain it.
NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 07-30-2019, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Klarabelle-
You made me laugh 😂 my previous P started every staff meeting reading aloud a childrenís book. She got a lot of very negative feedback on county and school surveys about this. The first meeting of the school year she said ďI read all your comments about my read alouds, but I donít care. Iím going to keep doing them.Ē
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 07-30-2019, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

One year all of the elementary teachers were brought together at one of the district's middle schools for a PD on the reading program. It was held in the cafeteria. We had to sit at cafeteria tables all. day. long. I can't sit like that for hours on end so I stood up and went to the back so as not to call attention to myself. The presenter wanted to know what I was doing (she was rather bossy and demanding). I replied (after a moment of thought) that "my Gluteus Maximus was bothering me." Someone else added "his butt hurts."
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 07-30-2019, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
Not that Iím usually paying much attention to the presenter, but I want to at least look like I might be.

This made me .
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 07-30-2019, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We always have kids around on PD days who manage to occupy themselves most of the day in the computer lab, library, classrooms, and out on the playground. Big kids watch the younger ones. They know they have to clean up anything they take out. All are school age. Some older kids work on jobs for their mothers or the principal. Even the principal brings her children. It works fine in our small K-5 school.

The side conversations? Drives me nuts!!!! I do notice some people texting each other under the table. It's rude, but a lot less disruptive.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-30-2019, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Ugh I start with PD tomorrow and all of these things bother me too. The staff members who have kids who attend our school seem to think it's fine for their kids to hang out all day. They're constantly running in and out asking their moms for things. It's very distracting and IMO unfair to all of the other parents who are paying for childcare.

Thankfully I got out of the afternoon tomorrow, so it's only a few hours in the morning but the agenda is 100% things I already know very well. At my school they do this annoying thing where they put learning targets and success criteria up for PD. It's all I can do not to say, "I've already met the success criteria. Can I leave?"

Usually it's just 2 days of PD before school starts, but this year we're doing a new literacy program and there will be 5.5 days (thankfully, I am getting paid for the extra days)! I don't know how I'm going to sit through that many days of stupid PD in a row . And the rest of my team doesn't have to go (because they're special service providers- not teachers) so I don't even have anyone to hang out with!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 07-30-2019, 09:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I hate side conversations, too. Itís so rude. I mean, most people are in fact miserable, but weíre adults. I hate it when people sitting next to you are having the conversation. I try to lean away from them so that nobody thinks Iím in on it.
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

1 main pet peeve
Old 07-30-2019, 11:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

When the speaker TALKS about the need for engagement, movement, various differentiated tasks for a VERY long time.

When my kids were young, you would not ever be allowed to bring them with you. Kids are allowed to go now, but most of our teacher's kids are pretty well behaved and stay in their mom's classroom. The only kid who comes in and interrupts once in awhile is the P's son.

I really hate sitting for a long time too.
Cliques are so evident in our school too and some groups are hostile towards other groups. You can cut the tension with a knife when the groups randomly get split up to cooperate or brainstorm. I think I'd rather sit and listen to the speaker talk for hours than deal with that tension.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Being read to!
Old 07-31-2019, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Our former principal thought she was doing us a great favor by not having us actually read a book for a book study. She read it instead and then read to us from notecards! This was our PLC each week. She read her notecards to us for 40 minutes - no discussion, no anecdotes, just reading!

The side conversations really annoy me. Not only because it is rude, but as a person with ADD, those conversations make it really difficult on me.

We do have a clique, but they are the bitchy, miserable group that really should retire, so I don't really care about that.

Another one is having to sit through a meeting that has absolutely nothing to do with me. Our K is starting a new, play based curriculum and we had to sit through meetings about their curriculum. I can see 1st grade joining in to get a glimpse of what their incoming students learned the previous year, but the rest of us don't need to be there!
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-31-2019, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I don't mind kids being in the building, but they should not attend meetings. That strikes me as highly inappropriate. My kids were locked in my classroom during PD and such. No one would ever even know they were there.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookwoman

I am moving
Old 07-31-2019, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Klarabelle, I am moving to your district tomorrow. I have hated being read to since I learned to read. It makes me crazy and it seems like every PD is presented in this way. I probably miss a lot of the content because I simply can't focus when someone is reading to me. This is something I would go on strike to receive as a benefit.
Bookwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Teacher1781

Teacher1781

I agree
Old 07-31-2019, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Oh I feel you on cliques hardcore. Especially when doing ice breakers and itís like all of a sudden, Iím back in elementary school picking the people to go next who are my friends 🙄 and yep, personal side conversations in front of a person who wasnít invited. Why?

apple annie

Old 07-31-2019, 10:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

My pet peeve is when the quality of the materials and presentation is poor, which is often. And the presenter knows it and uses it anyway...

ďI know this font is hard to read, but...Ē

ďThese photos are hard to see with the low contrast, but...Ē

The writing is too small. The sound quality is bad. The slides are blurry. Or the projector doesnít work, so just try to look at the monitor. Ugh!!!
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-31-2019, 10:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Quote:
My pet peeve is when the quality of the materials and presentation is poor, which is often. And the presenter knows it and uses it anyway...

ďI know this font is hard to read, but...Ē

ďThese photos are hard to see with the low contrast, but...Ē

The writing is too small. The sound quality is bad. The slides are blurry. Or the projector doesnít work, so just try to look at the monitor. Ugh!!!
Yes, me too! Or not having the handouts copied correctly, not figuring out the technology, having a video that doesn't work, slides out of order or missing things, etc. Teachers would be dinged on our evals if we were that unprepared for our lessons- of which I teach 9 a day, and you can't figure it out twice per month?
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 08-01-2019, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I hate it when they hand out markers and chart paper...I just know I will hate the PD if it starts this way!

Once I was at one where you had to "share out" your group's ideas...into a microphone! Mortifying...

I also don't like it when they make you do the stuff as if you were the student, like build something with these STEM materials. I don't have to actually do it, to get the idea. It just takes so long and wastes materials in my opinion. Just give me the stuff...
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Question...
Old 08-01-2019, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

If people bring kids...

Do they come with you into the actual meeting?

I'd rather walk on the surface of the sun than sit through that at age 6.

If your kids are unaupervised what happens if there is an accident? Pulls a little bookshelf over, busts a lip, breaks an arm on a monkey bar (because sh*t happens no matter how good a kid)? I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't, but how would it be handled?

I know at my DD district there are no children at school during non school days. PD are working days, and there is no daycare provided. No kids is because of the liability insurance.

My sister works in a different field, and in an office. She had a coworker roll in with a two year old. The big boss told her to take a personal day, and make up the PD at another branch. Main reason being if the kid got hurt, the liability insurance wouldn't cover it.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

QueenBee2011

Two Words
Old 08-02-2019, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

TEAM BUILDING! I don't know anyone who enjoys team-building with the exception of the people organizing it.
The meet and greet at the very beginning are not fun either. We have to roam around and say hi to people and make small talk. I would rather just go to my classroom and start getting things ready. Do you know what I mean?
QueenBee2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

sisterwoman

Old 08-02-2019, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I understand the thinking behind this but it really irritates me when speakers spend a long time telling you what they are going to talk about. Just get on with it rather than wasting my time or just post an agenda.
sisterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote