BusyBoard

Best way to do this?

>

litblock

litblock

Best way to do this?
Old 09-01-2019, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I only have about 60 minutes to teach reading, writing/grammar, and Spelling. We use a basal reader/anthology but are also expected to see groups as much as we can. I've asked how to fit in groups and all I get is "It's hard!"

Any advice on how I can best do this would be much appreciated. I'd like to do the Daily 5 (with 3 stations a day?), but I'm not sure how to best implement it with so little time and so much to teach. Maybe I could do 2 days of straight teaching and 3 days of groups/rotations? Or vice versa? Or 2 days all whole group, 2 days rotations, and 1 flex day? Thoughts?

I'm also looking for advice on how to practice different rotations with my students. Should I introduce one station (say read to self) and have everyone practice that 1 station? Then introduce another 1 (word work) and practice that, etc.? Or should I introduce all 5 and then have then set a rotation and have them practice like it look on a normal day, with students doing different rotations? I wouldn't see groups until I feel they know what to do, what I expect, etc. I teach 4th grade by the way.

teacherwriter

Fwiw
Old 09-02-2019, 01:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I was in 3rd, I had 60 minutes for reading. (I could do spelling, grammar and writing at other times.) Basically, I had to add time to that 60 minutes because I just couldn't get everything in.

The learning support and advanced students were pulled during that time three days a week; I had the middle group, which also was the largest. So I taught whole class on Monday, groups Tuesday-Thursday AND whole class story/test review on Thursday, and whole class assessment on Friday. The whole class lesson was introducing the story and the concept(s) for the week. On Tuesday-Thursday, I pulled small groups to work with me on leveled readers while the others worked by themselves on an assignment related to the story and read-to-self. I also did read-to-partner once in a while, but not during leveled reader groups; that way I could walk around the room and listen in on the readers.
teacherwriter is online now   Reply With Quote

SteelerFan

Mini lessons & stations
Old 09-02-2019, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First, teach one Daily 3 station to the whole group and have them use this for about a week. Fit the other activities that will be stations into whole group instruction/independent work - like Word work.
I have also moved to 60 minute periods this year and plan to use whole group as needed and small group/stations as often as I can. My small group is the group of students who most need my help to do their work or I plan to see everyone for specific work in a two day period of rotations.
There are many Daily 5 lesson plan templates on the internet that I have found. I adapted one to use this year with my short period.
I hope this helps.
Also - Daily 5 For Dummies (free online - search) has an excellent way to get started and teach the skills used in Daily 5. I simply chose the ones I'll use as I work through the booklet. It's worth the paper if it looks like it suits your needs.
SteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote