Help

BusyBoard

whole class redirect?

>

MissAgnes

whole class redirect?
Old 09-03-2019, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Apparently I have a class of 17 squirrels this year. I have to go up to most of them individually and constantly redirect. For example, today they were copying notes from a paper into their notebooks. I had to go around and redirect, "Start writing. Write this word. Keep going." To at least 10 of the 17. And it's that way for everything. Yes, I have a high needs class, but I simply can't do this all day every day. Not only do we get very little done, but I'm exhausted.
Some of them are Dx ADHD, but others are just squirrely. They know what they do, they just need constant reminders to stay on task.

Anyone have any advice, strategies, etc?

MissAgnes is online now   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Behavior bingo
Old 09-03-2019, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The Math With Meaning blog is written by a middle school teacher. She has complete directions on her website. TPT has several versions for FREE.

TPT also has "Are You the Lucky Duck" freebie. "Are you the Secret Student" works the same but might be more appropriate for 4th graders.

Lucky Duck/Secret Student can be used with the BINGO chart. The class earns a Bingo square for whatever reason you decide but the Lucky Duck or Secret Student's reward could be to fill in a square on the BINGO chart. You could have one Lucky Duck in the morning and a different student in the afternoon.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
RetiredKat is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

While class redirect
Old 09-04-2019, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What grade level? Passed first grade, I think they need to learn natural consequences. Expectation: finishnthis work in X time. If not finished, do it at recess. (Or whatever time works).

I would redirect once, then remind once more of consequences. After that, they are on their own. I believe we have trained our kids to wait until we say something for the third or fourth time before they tune in and think you might be serious. And constantly redirecting them doesnít let them learn how to self regulate.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Wish I'd thought of this...
Old 09-04-2019, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A few years ago I accidentally did something that accomplished more than I planned. I had to keep track of who had finished what before they could move on to the next (and for most, more enjoyable) activity. It got confusing because there were actually different tasks involved. So I started writing names as a column list on the board as they finished. (They had to show me their work before they went on the list.) After a couple were listed, I was glancing at the work of a student who asked, "Can I write my name on the list?"

I nodded affirmatively... and she added her name in multiple colors. Subsequent students included hearts, flowers, dogs, race cars... and the peer pressure started working...

I wish I could take credit for thinking of it... but I can take credit for adopting it. I've also played with it some, whereby a student gets to "sign" the list and then encourage one student who hasn't finished yet... there are other variations, including an applauding noisemaker when a student finishes. I think it works in part because it shifts the focus from those who are off-task to those who have finished and it can get a little competitive.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 09-04-2019, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just learned this...

Write the instructions on the board. Release them to work. Say absolutely nothing and make no eye contact for 20 seconds. If they come up to you, gesture to the instructions while looking at the class, not the student.

The majority of the class will be able to process what they're supposed to do and get to work. Then you circulate the room, tap on a shoulder and point to instructions, still not saying anything. After a minute or two, the vast majority will be working and you can focus on the 1-2

It really seems to work! They're learning to process instruction rather than rely on you to tell them what to do all the time. Many students literally have not had to think for themselves because they're constantly getting input about what to do. This forces them to develop the ability to work through the uncomfortable feeling of being confused rather than ask someone else to do it.

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote