Help

BusyBoard

Standards based grading

>

packerfan

Standards based grading
Old 09-07-2019, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay I am on the struggle bus this school year. I am about fed up with the educational system I am a part of. Last year we were taught about standards based grading. I get the whole idea, which is all good, but it is so time consuming because for every standard you are assessing you need to come up with a scoring guide of what students need to get a 3-2-1. For each standard there are some premade scoring guides which some are total crap while others are okay. Here is where I struggle-- How do I make this less time consuming for me?

The other thing is my principal is making us do unit plans but I just can't wrap my head around this and use it as a tool for my plans. I guess what I am saying this is not how my brain works. I like to see each days plan and I really don't want to do double the work for myself with plans. I am so frustrated because she expects us to do this and yet if we have students in our classroom that don't learn the material the first time through because of the way it is taught then she expects us to present it a different way for the student to understand, nut yet does not do this with us as teachers. I am ready to walk away from this profession because every year it is something new they expect from us and it is more and more work and less and less energy to teach--between the goal writing-Oh yes she is also wanting us to write a goal for each student based on last years MAP testing info. Does that not seem like busy work to you??? goal writing on my self --lesson planning unit) grasping this standards based grading all the upteen million duties we have a week. I go home each day exhausted.

I would greatly appreciate your advice if you do SBG and unit plans.

THanks

packerfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Standards based report card
Old 09-07-2019, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can offer a little assistance. My experience is based on teaching second grade. You might be overthinking this.

We used this rubric:
4. Consistently exceeds in all areas of standard
3. Mastered all requirements of standard
2. Working towards standard mastery
1. Performance is far below expected standard

4’s were rare...because of the word “consistent”.
Once a child mastered a standard, they received a 3...hopefully by the last grading period.
2’s would be prevalent for the first two grading periods as everyone is still learning.
1’s are those really low kids.

I just used whatever assessments came with subject curriculum and my own observations. We did not create lots of assessments for every portion of a standard.

As to unit plans...I assume your subjects come with a pacing guide or if you use readers and writers workshop you have their units of study. To me, these would be your units of study. Is your P looking for exactly which day you’re going to teach which topic? Is P checking up on this? If not, turn in some bogus report based on the pacing guide, then do your own thing.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 09-07-2019, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We use standards based grading and just have three grades.
3 - mastered the standard
2 - working towards mastery
1 - struggling (that's not the language used but you get it).

We do not have exceeding because we do not assess above the standards we are teaching. We might be teaching them things above the standard, but we only assess the actual standard. Does that make sense?

We do not grade every single standard. That is insanity! Each grade level chose the key standards for their grade level and that is all they grade.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 09-08-2019, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Depending on what is appropriate for your school, a rating of 1 may also mean Not Yet, as in either not yet taught as well as child has not yet learned the skill.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-08-2019, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
As to unit plans...I assume your subjects come with a pacing guide or if you use readers and writers workshop you have their units of study. To me, these would be your units of study. Is your P looking for exactly which day you’re going to teach which topic? Is P checking up on this? If not, turn in some bogus report based on the pacing guide, then do your own thing.
Agree with this!

Quote:
Once a child mastered a standard, they received a 3...hopefully by the last grading period.
2’s would be prevalent for the first two grading periods as everyone is still learning.
We don't really do it this way. We access what we are teaching at the time. If the standard is to add 3 digit numbers with regrouping and we are teaching 2 digit with regrouping and a student is proficient at that, then it is a 3. If they can't grasp 2 digit with regrouping, then it is a 2 or 1, depending on how much they aren't grasping.

I also think it is totally impossible to break down each standard into all the little pieces of standards to access. I only do that with students who aren't grasping a larger concept.

It can be overwhelming. Rubrics aren't for everything. We make rubrics for writing standards mostly, and for projects where we are accessing many different standards along the way. It really is an ongoing process.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote