Help

BusyBoard

Online doctorates

>

teacherwriter

Online doctorates
Old 09-07-2019, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any experience with online doctoral degrees? I keep thinking about pursuing a doctorate in education, maybe curriculum and education or reading ed/literacy. Not ed admin or leadership! Unfortunately, the only doctorate I can find in my state is on-campus at a school three hours away. Just wondering whether anyone had any good leads or experience with programs that you might recommend...

teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

ccsteacher001

EdD in Education online
Old 09-08-2019, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I completed mine online in 2017 through Northcentral University. It wasn't cheap and it wasn't easy but I'm glad I did it. You need to be independent, resilient, and determined. Mine was not cohort based like most face to face programs.
ccsteacher001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Snicklesnack

EdD
Old 09-09-2019, 01:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I completed mine in 2018 with Capella University. Unfortunately, I must say...find another program. Online was great. I needed the flexibility and it worked well for me. It takes a lot of self-motivation, but I don’t think anyone would be pursuing a doctorate if they didn’t have that. Capella’s program was great until the capstone/dissertation phase. They said it would take 2-4 quarters to finish. I barely finished in 4, and I have a friend who is still fighting to finish after 8. They take forever for each approval. My project was in my hands for only a total of about 3 days each quarter. The rest of the time I was just waiting. They delay as much as possible so they can charge you another quarter of tuition. They kept saying “the process is iterative” and I get that....but in the entire year, they only asked me for two minuscule changes (think punctuation, not content). I 10/10 recommend not using a for-profit university.
Snicklesnack is offline   Reply With Quote