Help

BusyBoard

Pairing up students

>

URMySunshine

Pairing up students
Old 09-07-2019, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

When pairing up students for turning and talking or for writing in the units of study what do you do when there is that student that no one really wants to be paired with? Every year I seem to have one. They can be either extremely low and not really talk or just a behavior issue. I see it in their little faces when I pair them with the difficult child but I know everyone needs a partner. Just curious how you all handle this.

URMySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 09-07-2019, 10:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Iny classroom it was a culture u created that we were all equal. We didn't have to be friends with everyone, but you had to respect them and their differences. You could choose to work nicely with who you were paired or you could work alone. End of story!

Pre-K all the way to 6th grade I used this approach!
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 09-08-2019, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Same as teachnkids...

We discuss it at the beginning of the year and the discussion continues as needed. I compare it to myself as an adult that sometimes I may not be friends with all my co-workers but I have to be respectful and kind.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

needmyjob

URMySunshine
Old 09-08-2019, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Have those discussions where your class is a family. I would start out adding myself in to a pairing activity, and have one other student with me while we work together with the child that no one wants to be with. That way you are modeling for others.

Next time, do the same thing with different student and continue working as (3). You would still be able to get up and help others, once the activity begins, but these kids probably just need that initial push to get to know the other student, and the difficult student probably needs how to learn to work with others. Eventually, I guarantee the other children will feel comfortable being with the difficult child.
needmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Contract
Old 09-08-2019, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

First, before assigning/announcing partners, I always talk about how we all need to be nice to each other and react appropriately when our partner is named. Making faces, complaining, etc. is not okay.

Second, one of the things I have my students do is create a writing partner contract. They list their rules and sign it. Rules could be offering at least 2 pieces of advice at each meeting, making sure work is completed for the meeting, meeting 2X a week during writer's workshop for 20 minutes, etc. They decide, with my approval of course. They each sign it and so do I. If they violate the contract, they lose partnerships for the week. If both parties violated it, then they both just work alone. If 1 person violated it, then that person works alone and the other works with a group of 3. After the week, I let them try it again. If a violation occurs again, they lose the partnership for the rest of the unit. Again, if both violate it then they both just work individually. If only 1 violated it, that one works individually and the other joins a group of 3.

Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Pairing students
Old 09-08-2019, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with what other posters have said...but sometimes there is that one child who just canít/wonít speak. Just not going to happen. I will then make a group of three. A occasionally this has worked: pairing them with another minimal talker.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 09-08-2019, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I labeled my chairs A or B. Then I can pair them up quickly.
arsabl is online now   Reply With Quote

QueenBee2011

Just a thought
Old 09-08-2019, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
sometimes there is that one child who just canít/wonít speak. Just not going to happen. I will then make a group of three.
I make the groups according to personality and ability. I rarely allow my students to choose their own partner for activities. There is always a student who has trouble finding someone to work with and that's just sad.
I hope it works out for your students.
QueenBee2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 09-09-2019, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I had this the last 2 year-the kids didnt want to partner with someone who refused to speak in one instance and in the other they complained to their parents about a kid bullying them so they didnt want to partner with her. In either instance the students were missing out on what I want them to get from the activity if they got a partner who would only 1. refuse to participate or 2. start cursing at them.

I decided that in the case of number 1 I would assign "tripods" so regardless there was another person they could get something back from. In the case of number 2 I partnered with the student since there isnt much else you can do when all the parents have said "I dont want my child to be forced to work with ________".
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 09-09-2019, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I like Keltikmom and Kinderkr4zy's approaches. I have always assumed that every teacher sets high expectations for behaviors and clear standards about including others without complaint so I assumed the OP was doing this. I've also been around the block enough to know that sometimes you have a student in your class who is just not a great partner. This isn't a matter of the other kids being unkind or noninclusive. Simply put, I've had kids in class who were selective mutes, complete non-English speakers, actively trying to hurt other children in class, or repeatedly calling other students names. Quite often, the kindest and quietest students are encouraged to work with these students....but even those kids need a break. Sometimes I'll work with them or I'll set up a trio.

cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 09-09-2019, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
Quite often, the kindest and quietest students are encouraged to work with these students....but even those kids need a break
This is so true
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote