Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Do you have appliances you don't use?

>

lisa53

Do you have appliances you don't use?
Old 09-09-2019, 04:52 PM

Even though I got rid of extraneous appliances when dh and I moved a year ago last spring, I was noticing today that I could probably edit my appliances even more, which would save a lot of space.

Here's a list of my current appliances. I am color coding them as used weekly or more, used monthly or more, used rarely, but indispensable, and rarely if ever used.

Toaster oven
George Foreman grill--makes 4 burgers
coffee maker
microwave

food processor
crockpot
kitchen scale

single serving blender
wand blender
Kitchen Aid mixer

large blender
salad spinner
coffee grinder

So, here's my plan:
1. Get rid of the large GF grill and buy a small one to replace it.
2. Get a new, better food processor (the one I have has some broken parts, although it still works in a pinch)
3. Consider a smaller crockpot in addition to the large one I have...that way I can make smaller batches if I am just cooking for one.
4. Give away the Kitchen Aid that takes up lots of real estate on the counter...and get a hand mixer in its place
5. Give away the large blender, salad spinner, and coffee grinder.

Any thoughts?

Do you have appliances that you don't use, or that should be replaced with something different (a different size, or something more versatile, for example).

lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

appliances
Old 09-09-2019, 06:01 PM

My stand mixer takes up some room and I don't use it that often but I think holding a hand mixer might be tough. Just a thought as we get older. Son in law loves my cake frosting that you beat for 20 minutes.
Sounds like you have your shopping list in place.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 09-09-2019, 06:18 PM

We did a pretty good job of downsizing when we combined households.

Things we kept and use regularly . . .
  • Kitchenaid mixer
  • Small George Foreman Grill
  • Three Sizes of Crock Pots
  • Keurig

We got rid of . . .
  • blender
  • food processor
  • iced tea maker
  • deep fryer
  • rice cooker

I could live without a microwave, but DH uses it.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 09-09-2019, 06:21 PM

Luckily I have a huge kitchen. They will pry my kitchen aid out of my cold hands. I have all the attachments for it. (Ice cream maker, spiralizer, pasta maker, meat grinder and vegetable slicer.) I don’t use it that often but when I need it, I need it. I am not going to grind 2 hams by hand. I could, I have 2 old fashioned crank grinders. I do that every couple of months. My collection of appliances is significant. 5 slow cookers, instant pot, yogurt maker, electric skillet, food processor, 3 types of blenders, toaster, several ways to make coffee and the list goes on. But I do a lot of from scratch cooking and we make our own yogurt (3-6 quarts a week) The only thing I might consider giving up would be my pressure canner.

I have not purchased all of this stuff. We inherited the house and all the stuff from DHs grandmother and when his other grandmother passed some how that stuff made its way here too. I know how to make things the old fashioned way but I also enjoy using all the gadgets. I could hold my own in a kitchen with a good knife and a cast iron skillet.

My Christmas list this year will include a burr coffee grinder and possibly an air fryer. I’m not totally convinced on that one as I typically cook huge amounts at one time (athletic teen boys and farmers can EAT)
Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-09-2019, 06:32 PM

I rarely cook (but did more in the past) and I have a crock pot, an immersion blender, a tiny george foreman grill, a nutribullet, and a hand held mixer. Although that stuff rarely gets used any more, I don't see any reason to get rid of it as the kitchen has plenty of space and I'm able to fit it all in cabinets. And it does get used every once in awhile.

I did get rid of my coffee maker many years ago because I realized I NEVER used it and had no intentions to. I used to sometimes make coffee at home and take a travel mug to school, but my current school has coffee in the lounge every morning. I typically have to be the one to make it, but it's free and it's there. I always only drank it on work days anyway and would never need it on a weekend/day off work.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 09-09-2019, 06:46 PM

I wouldn’t get rid of the Kitchen aide stand mixer either. You can get attachments to make it even more versatile.

Things I want to get rid of ( but tough convincing DH)

Two of our three air fryers
Induction hot plate
Bread maker
Electric knife
Nesco roaster

Plus a lot of kitchen pots and pans, etc. that we never use.
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 09-09-2019, 07:05 PM

About the only thing I don't use is the waffle maker. Yet, how can you be an adult without one? Now that we're empty nesters, the griddle doesn't get quite as much use as before.
Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 09-09-2019, 08:17 PM

The appliance I use most is my rice cooker. In addition to making rice I use it to steam dumplings, steam fish, boil eggs and make oatmeal.

Frequently I use:

Kitchen aid mixer
Keurig
Air popper

I got out my blender this week after not touching it for years. I’m making myself like those healthy green drinks.

I use my waffle maker mainly to make hash browns or grilled cheese.

I never use my food processor because I’m afraid of it.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 09-10-2019, 02:35 AM

I really just use the basics.

We got rid of our toaster oven, food processor, and some other things.

I mostly use my Rice cooker, stove, kitchen scale, and a blender. We have a microwave but it is rarely used.

My MiL loves to buy me all the "gadgets" and DH then give them away. She gave us a breakfast sandwich maker, a George Forman grill, a waffle maker, and a Panini press which have all found new homes.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 09-10-2019, 02:43 AM

Quote:
I wouldn’t get rid of the Kitchen aide stand mixer either. You can get attachments to make it even more versatile.
I have been thinking carefully about this, because the stand mixer is something I used to use a lot, and it was such a relief to own one after I had been using a hand mixer for many years. But honestly, I used it once this entire year, to mix up a batch of cupcakes. I have all the attachments, but the ones I would use I can do the same operations with my food processor.

Quote:
My stand mixer takes up some room and I don't use it that often but I think holding a hand mixer might be tough. Just a thought as we get older.
mhugs, I did think about this as well. So far my hands work pretty well...I know that could change. But it is so big, and so heavy, and so in-the-way living on my counter, that I think I would not be giving up much, for the little bit that I use it. Maybe someone else will have to do that kind of cooking if I can't manage with the hand mixer.

lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-10-2019, 05:44 AM

I went through this, too. I don’t cook much these days, I didn’t have a lot of that stuff to begin with, and I detest cluttered counters. The microwave is built-in above the range and I adore it. The 2 appliances on my countertop are the old faithful Kitchenaid stand mixer and the small Cuisinart food processor (they’re on the shorter wall which you don’t really see unless you’re standing in the kitchen; the long wall, visible from the living room, has NO appliances).

I do have 3 other things from your list that I keep in cupboards: hand mixer, crockpot, tiny kitchen scale.

I don’t drink coffee and don’t like the smell, so guests have to do without or walk to Starbucks or the local coffee place.

Good luck!
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Old 09-10-2019, 09:09 AM

We have a toaster and a coffee maker we use every day. Everything else, food processor, instant pot, George Forman, hand mixer, and immersion blender are in the cabinets. I might use the food processor and the mixers once a year. I hate appliances on counters. No crockpot or anything else that's a specific use appliance allowed!
anabel12 is online now   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 09-10-2019, 09:25 AM

Weekly:
Kitchen Aid Mixer (I use this pretty much daily!)
Coffeepot (we have a drip and a Keurig we use daily)
Food processor
Instant Pot
Slow Cooker (I know I could get rid of this and just use the Instant Pot, but it's so nice to take to potlucks!)
Toaster

Monthly:
Blender
Immersion Blender
Electric Griddle
Ice Cream Maker

Rarely:
Hand mixer
waffle iron
small crockpot
juicer

I have a ton of other kitchen gadgets that aren't necessarily appliances (spiralizer, scale, etc.) but I cook A LOT and for now my kitchen is full, but not overfull!
KatieViolet is online now   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 09-10-2019, 02:57 PM

I, too, like clear counters and am blessed with a lot of storage space. The two items on the counter are:

drip coffeemaker (I could NOT live without this - in fact we bring coffee and a portable coffee press pot with us on vacation)

toaster (I WISH I could get rid of this because I can't stand the crumbs but my DH is a toast fiend)

In the cupboards but used regularly are:

food processor (weekly)
instant pot (weekly)
stand mixer (monthly)

One thing no one else mentioned but that I use about once a week and is a pain to store is my Ronco Rotisserie.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
word girl is offline   Reply With Quote