Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

College is boring

>

Claire

College is boring
Old 09-10-2019, 04:30 PM

So, 3 weeks in my ds says college is boring. He's not even in the basics except for pre cal, everything else is a major class. I told him to enjoy the lack of challenge and make a 4.0. He is the typical GT student who took all advanced AP classes and didn't believe in homework, but still did fine because of tests. I mean, he could have decided he wanted to be a brain surgeon and then I'm sure he wouldnt be bored AT ALL!

On the up side, he is getting in really good shape going to the rec building all the time and working out.

I knew he wouldn't be super challenged by this major, but it's what he wants to do (BS in Biology of Fish and Wildlife Conservation) and he hopes to get into the Texas Game Warden Academy). Being happy in your career is worth a lot more than tons of money and fame. lol

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Old 09-10-2019, 04:36 PM

My DD was terribly bored at the beginning of her freshman year in college. She was used to the crazy, fast-paced life of high school. It's so different in college!

Tell him to join some clubs outside of his comfort zone.......that might liven things up!
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Ruby
Old 09-10-2019, 04:39 PM

He was going to continue to sing and do musicals etc until he saw how expensive the classes were and time consuming (so that he wouldnt be able to work). He decided against that. So yeah, he needs a hobby during the week. He ran like a maniac during high school doing EVERYTHING so I think you're right. It's the change of pace.

Haley23

Old 09-10-2019, 08:12 PM

I remember being surprised at all of the free time I had when I started college. Of course, I was mostly taking gen ed requirements my freshman year. My HS AP classes were harder than those freshman college classes, especially since everything for those AP classes was riding on that one big test. I also went from a full school day with working my part time job from 4-8 and swim practice from 8:30-10:00 to having 2-3 classes at the most per day, so huge adjustment there! I wasn't bored- I spent a lot of time socializing with other freshman who found themselves in similar situations .

As I got further along into my education major they made us do TONS of field experiences and busywork (i.e. CRAZY long lesson plans) so my time was taken up. By second semester of sophomore year I was basically doing at least an 8-6 PM schedule between field experiences and classes. Not sure what his major will be like later, but he should enjoy it now!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 09-10-2019, 08:13 PM

My kids also felt like college was boring compared to high school. In high school they took an extra period and were in school for 8 hours plus extra curriculars. In college they averaged about 4 hours a day, some more, some less. My son who had an easier major (criminal justice) kept busy with music, working out, and added a second major (psychology.) Even my engineering major (a notoriously busy major) was able to work out, work part time and do some music most semesters.

MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-10-2019, 09:16 PM

My son also thought it was "easy"(and somewhat boring) when he started college. He went to a super competitive high school and took AP and IB coursework for an IB diploma, and his first quarter of college was a piece of cake compared to his high school schedule. Things ramped up a bit for him as the year went on and he had to take more advanced math coursework. At least your son is taking advantage of the rec center- that's a good use of his extra time!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Snicklesnack

College
Old 09-11-2019, 12:40 AM

Well, the semester really has only just begun. Iím a professor, and we havenít reached the point of major assignments yet. Boring wonít last long. You might want to warn him that heís going to have to start believing in homework. Itís going to be impossible to pass college courses without homework. In some cases, thatís all there is. No tests....just projects and papers. Doesnít matter how GT....college is work. It just hasnít started yet.
Snicklesnack is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Old 09-11-2019, 02:54 AM

Forgot to add --- at our orientations for both of my daughters, it was strongly recommended that the kids get jobs, either on or off campus. There really is a lot more down time than they had in high school (where they sat in classrooms for 6 hours straight every day). Both of my DDs have worked in college, and they both make Dean's List every semester, so it hasn't hurt their academics. Plus, they enjoy the extra cash!
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 09-11-2019, 04:43 AM

Oh he has homework. It's just not much. Calculus is the most and he is having to work in there. He works here on Friday night through Sunday waiting tables at the same job he's had, so he's not even there on weekends.

I think its all the down time compared to never having any free time in high school.

amiga13

Old 09-11-2019, 05:42 AM

Wow, times have changed! I had a lot of assigned reading and writing outside class time and my absolute favorite part of college was socializing. Yes, my first quarter was an easier load, but I never once felt bored—I was busy making new friends and exploring my new world.

It makes me really sad for your kids that they’re not loving the learning, socializing, independence, and FUN of college that my kids and their parents (DH and I met at college) experienced.

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 09-11-2019, 05:19 PM

Amiga, I don't think any of us are saying our kids didn't enjoy college. The point is that it's a surprise to many kids that college isn't as "hard" as high school was. They spent years hearing they had to get ready for the big challenge of college only to discover it didn't feel that challenging comparatively - especially at the beginning. (Those taking OChem, etc. freshman year may beg to differ!)

I didn't experience that, but my high school was not as challenging as what my kids faced in high school.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

MKat
Old 09-11-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Amiga, I don't think any of us are saying our kids didn't enjoy college.
MKat, I was responding to the thread title and this
Quote:
...my ds says college is boring.
And this:
Quote:
My DD was terribly bored at the beginning of her freshman year in college.
And this
Quote:
My son also thought it was "easy"(and somewhat boring)
Are you saying being bored is enjoyable? I didn’t think it was a big deal, but I thought it was a small complaint.

GraceKrispy

Old 09-11-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
And this
Quote:
My son also thought it was "easy"(and somewhat boring)
Are you saying being bored is enjoyable? I didnít think it was a big deal, but I thought it was a small complaint.
Since this one is mine, I'll respond. I'm not saying being bored is enjoyable. I'm not sure how you got that from my post- I didn't say that and I don't think I even implied it.

My whole post, in context, is meant to convey to Claire that my son had a similar surprise with classes initially feeling "easier" and not as engaging as his high school classes were (after having a very intense high school experience that isn't what everyone experiences), *but* that feeling was short lived as he got into my intense coursework.

I think sometimes first quarter/semester, or even just the first month, can be a softer intro -- especially for first years. I'd rather have a kid go into college feeling prepared and like things are "easy" than go in hating it because it feels too overwhelming from the beginning. And my comment on "and somewhat boring" was about the coursework, not the college experience as a whole. I didn't comment on that at all. College is more than just the coursework, of course.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-11-2019, 07:24 PM

Well, shoot, sometimes ďconversationsĒ here are so hard. DrGK, that was to MKat, not you.

I apologize profusely if I confused the issue. I should know better than to ever respond to ďbored.Ē

Sorry, sorry, sorry.

Claire

Old 09-11-2019, 07:50 PM

I think it's a combination of being in a literal college town and a smallish town as opposed to where we live in the Dallas metroplex, being VERY well prepared from rigorous high school course work, and having free time during the week, which that child hasn't had since he was little because he was always one to do EVERYTHING.

He's fine. I just think it's an adjustment.

amiga13

Old 09-11-2019, 07:55 PM

Thank you, Claire, for your sweet response. I didnít intend to be judgmental, I was really thinking of my own fabulous college experienceóand youíre right, my college was huge and in a pretty fantastic location (IMO). Very different.

kahluablast

Old 09-12-2019, 05:08 AM

Tell him to check into the community theater world. That could be a way to stay involved in creative hobbies.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Kahlua
Old 09-14-2019, 10:12 AM

He actually said yesterday he was going to audition for a play at the school. They're putting on some version of Alice in Wonderland. He's also going to check into intramural soccer. The golf course they have out there sucks big time, so I think he's only gone there a couple of times.

I think he needs some arts/sports to have fun. Besides the art of chasing girls in the gym.

Claire

Kahlua
Old 09-14-2019, 11:01 AM

He actually said yesterday he was going to audition for a play at the school. They're putting on some version of Alice in Wonderland. He's also going to check into intramural soccer. The golf course they have out there sucks big time, so I think he's only gone there a couple of times.

I think he needs some arts/sports to have fun. Besides the art of chasing girls in the gym.