The VENT

Your Right Forbes-Its Not Really a Teacher Shortage

>

Kinderkr4zy

You're Right Forbes-I'ts Not Really a Teacher Shortage
Old 09-12-2019, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Story Here:Stop Calling it a Teacher Shortage

I have been waiting a long time for someone to get to the REALITY of the matter on this "teacher shortage" issue-too often this is just an excuse to hire the less qualified who are cheaper. This really burns me up. I know of a few fully qualified teachers who didn't find jobs last year when they were looking, and I also know of several schools (charters) that used waivers to hire unqualified people to teach under the premise that "they couldn't find a qualified teacher. This is the real Fake News! They purposely keep their salaries low so that the only people who will apply are interns and those not fully qualified. This isnt really a teacher shortage-this is manufactured circumstances that allow you to bend the rules to save money and continually drive down wages and working conditions.

Yes in several areas there is a shortage. A few years a go I totally benefited from this when I was looking-it was wall to wall offers and I was lucky enough to be able to sit down weigh my options to find the REAL best fit for me. But more recently I am not seeing the same shortage and hiring struggle unless its a manufactured shortage created to justify hiring those not full qualified.

There are plenty of qualified teachers out there-its just that they dont all want to stick around for the masochism that has become their teaching conditions, and low wages that wont pay back their loans ans support them. Dont use it as an excuse to hire warm bodies. Find a way to make teaching worth what you pay to attract back all the new teachers that leave the field in droves OR just pay a living wage so that genuine professionals can afford to apply at your school, Or just be honest and say-we care more about the financial bottom line than hiring quality teachers.

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 09-12-2019 at 08:31 PM..
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 09-13-2019, 01:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's a good column. Peter Greene writes good stuff. He writes the Curmudgucation blog.
http://curmudgucation.blogspot.com/
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Jasmine tea

Jasmine tea

Teacher?? Or college student
Old 09-13-2019, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Since I sub I’ve had a few long term assignments but lately all these jobs are going to college students. Last CS was promised the job. (Didn’t get it.) personally find it ludicrous, I won’t do it for sub pay, these students do it for free. But there’s a ‘shortage’ of qualified teachers so they get an ‘exemption’.

Keltikmom

Teacher shortage article
Old 09-13-2019, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with you, and the article, 100%.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I think we are 1 of the few places
Old 09-13-2019, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

with more teachers without teaching jobs. There are not enough kids in the area. A few people are waiting for me to die or retire...
When I 1st started teaching, I was in a place that truly had a huge teacher shortage. They recruited from all over the US. It was a fun place to me, but not everyone liked it there.

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote
IN2OK

IN2OK

You nailed it.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I live in the Midwest. The starting teacher salary is approximately $40,000. If you are single, benefits don't cost a dime. Honestly, you can't beat working a position that provides you to attend work less than 200 days a year.

Could it be more? Yes! There are a few jobs in business development and tech that have good pay. Some companies pay their people well, and treat them well. I have only a few friends in this situation.

We could have way worse. I am looking at several nonprofit jobs and they don't pay any better. Sure, there are jobs out there that $55,000 - but they require a lot more times a week. A friend of mine is an attorney for the county - his starting pay is $45,000. He does not have summers off, and he has to work a lot of weekends.

If you look at the nursing shortage, in several areas, there are now a large number of new nurses who are working in nursing homes at $13.00 an hour, and where I am from beginning teachers make more than beginning nurses.

The public school system where I had taught just dumped a ton of good certified teachers, to bring in 500 emergency licensed teachers. What? State is allowing school system to do this. Honestly, good teachers need to plan for Option B and become entrepreneurs who open their own schools.