Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Broadway musical soundtracks

>

Keltikmom

Broadway musical soundtracks
Old 09-13-2019, 03:09 PM

We are going to see Hamilton tomorrow. (Second time for me, first for dh.)

So we had a discussion regarding musical soundtracks. I like to listen to it before I see the show so I am familiar with lyrics and storyline. And yes, I know when I see my show, it will have a different cast than on recording.

DH does not listen ahead of time. He wants it all to be fresh and new and not influenced by the recording.

What is your choice?

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 09-13-2019, 03:32 PM

I’m like you, I want to know the music and storyline. I grew up in a musical theatre family, with my dad directing and producing many shows in a community theatre. So I always knew the music and stories of shows before I saw them. We grew up listening to musicals rather than the popular music of the day.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 09-13-2019, 04:22 PM

I listened to the soundtrack of Hamilton before I saw it. I was familiar enough with the show to know that if I didn't do that, I'd not understand what was going on since it's a sing through show. I did the same with Come From Away and was glad I did.
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

MyLifeClass

I prefer
Old 09-13-2019, 05:03 PM

I prefer to not hear it ahead of time. I might listen a little but I don't listen enough to know the songs and story. I want to experience it in the moment.

My friend that I go with likes to listen to all the soundtracks till she has them memorized.

To each their own
MyLifeClass is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 09-13-2019, 05:16 PM

I agree with your hubby. I want it fresh. To me it would be like reading all the spoilers about a mystery film before going to see it

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 09-13-2019, 05:44 PM

Hamilton is the only one I've intentionally listened to ahead of time. I generally don't "prepare" for a musical or a play ahead of time, preferring to experience the plot, characters, music, lyrics, all together.

However, if I had not prepared ahead of time for Hamilton, I think I would have been totally lost. Even having become familiar with the music in advance, I found it difficult to process the lyrics rapidly. It's rap and often rapid and unexpected wording.

Unless your DH is a rap fan (or lots of Gilbert and Sullivan patter songs), he is likely to regret his choice. I know my DS did not listen to the Hamilton songs in advance and said it was a big mistake.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 09-13-2019, 06:10 PM

I don’t listen ahead of the show, but I do enjoy listening to some after.
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 09-13-2019, 07:14 PM

I listen ahead if it’s an unfamiliar cast album. I even have an Amazon playlist called “the next show” since I have season tickets and see 7 shows a year in Dallas.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Old 09-14-2019, 04:04 AM

I'm with you, I like to be familiar with the storyline and songs before I go to a show. I don't want to miss something!

So this is what my DD and I do when we're on our way to a show for the first time: she reads the synopsis on Wikipedia, and stops to play the songs in the appropriate places.

Enjoy Hamilton again! It was an obsession in our house for years, and has recently been replaced by Hadestown
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 09-14-2019, 04:37 AM

I could have posted exactly like you— I want to know the music ahead of time—DH wants it fresh and new.

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 09-14-2019, 06:03 AM

I don't typically, but was also in musical drama in HS so was already familiar with lots of classics. We got the Hamilton soundtrack a couple Christmases ago and listened to it about 2.7 million times before we saw it in Boston last fall. I can not imagine trying to follow the whole story without knowing the songs so well first! So many are so fast and there was SO much to watch visually, I think it would have been hard to take it all in. Now I have a picture in my mind from the play when I listen to it. The World Turned Upside Down was my absolute favorite in the show, but wasn't beforehand when it was just the music. Enjoy! Jealous you are going again
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote