Help

BusyBoard

sending books home with students

>

Savvy

sending books home with students
Old 09-15-2019, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does your school allow/encourage teachers to send guided reading books home with students? If so, is there a schoolwide procedure for this? I've worked in schools where sending books home was the norm, but I'm currently at a school that does not really do it. I'm trying to convince them to get on board, but it is tough. I just want to see what others are doing.

Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 09-15-2019, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my school it depends on the teacher. There is no school wide procedure.

The primary grades usually do a "book envelope" that has a just right book in it for them. They read it with their parents and the parents sign a sheet.

I teach 3rd grade and do not send any books home. If they want to bring home one of our classroom library books (beside the school library books) I let them.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 09-15-2019, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our students who receive reading recovery/literacy lessons/RTI do take home books nightly, with the understanding that they read them WITH their parents, and return them the next day for new books.

Not the same thing, but I constantly gather books that people are giving away and send them home with all of my students. Parents are not always good with taking their children to the library and/or buying them new books, so they frequently tell me, "I've read all of the books I have at home".

What's neat about this system is that when the kids have finished the books I've offered them, they often return them so that others can take them home to read them. A continuous cycle, if you will. They aren't required to bring them back, though.

My P's philosophy is a book in a kids hand is a good thing. That's what we want!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Sending books home
Old 09-15-2019, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, we did send books home. Kinder and first had awesome canvas zip bags from a long ago defunct literacy program.

In my second grade class, the school bought us heavy duty extra large zip log bags...the ones that look like they have a piece of yellow legal paper on the front.

Every parent had to sign an agreement the first week of school stating if a book was lost or damaged, they would pay for it. In 10 years I think this happened twice. And pretty sure a few books got lost over the years. But it was worth to make sure kids were reading at home.

P.S. one year, a mom from a 2 years prior walked in with 4-5 books. She said they just cleaned out their bookshelf and found these books with my name in them.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

Replies
Old 09-15-2019, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for your replies.

Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Books
Old 09-15-2019, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

A book goes home each night with students in my district K-8. It is nightly homework...15-30 minutes of reading per night depending on the age of the child.

Parents read to or listen while students read, and parents sign a signature sheet. Some of these are library books. If a child is in intervention, intervention materials are sent home. Each classroom has a classroom library, and students borrow books at their guided reading level to read at home. That same book may be completed that night, and if not, is returned the next day to continue reading in the classroom during independent reading time (eg. chapter book).
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote