Help

BusyBoard

Wait...how many years HAVE I been teaching

>

Kinderkr4zy

Wait...how many years HAVE I been teaching
Old 09-15-2019, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have come across several things lately asking for my years of service, from surveys, to applications to be included in outside funding opportunities, to miscellany.

I have a complicated teaching past...what counts, what doesnt, and how to answer? I always give my full teaching experience to parents, but when I apply for things in the district I know I have to use my much lower numbers of years fully credentialed. Otherwise...I go with what will benefit me most. Like, is this funding only for "new" teachers...well I was technically new last years so I went for it. Or, "Oh you need 10 years for a student intern-I have that".

Is this ok-do I need just one answer/is it dishonest to give multiple answers?

None of these answers would be incorrect:
6 years-I am in my 7th year of service since getting my teaching credential.

10 years-I have been the teacher of record in k-6 classrooms for the the last 10 years, but the first 4 years I was not fully credential and I worked for a private school.

16 years-I have been in the classroom since February 2004. However 6 years of that were pre-k with an early childhood credential, then 2 years of kindergarten (which isnt mandated in my state) where I was still only on the early childhood credential, then co-teaching part time and part time student teaching for 2 years), then 6 years in the classroom and working on 7. My first class of preschoolers is in college now. I had seen and done a lot and I feel like a seasoned professional. I have learned and grown a lot-16 years worth, and I feel like that counts for something.

SO...how many years of service do I have? Does it matter? What would you say?

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 09-15-2019, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've always included every year I worked directly with children, including my years in daycare, only because one district I interviewed at did include those years when talking about my salary.
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote