Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Cleaning advice for new place

>

Haley23

Cleaning advice for new place
Old 09-15-2019, 12:16 PM

I know I could google, but there are always so many conflicting ideas and I would rather hear from people I "know" .

In my apartment I used a whole lot of clorox wipes, but I guess that is a no-no for granite counter tops? What do you use instead- just a dish rag and soapy water? Is that good enough for all of the time or do you ever use something stronger? What about for a flat stove top (I know there is a specific word here that I don't know- like the kind with no metal burners on it).

And what about laminate floors? The inspector guy told me that many people make the mistake of trying to use wet swiffers on them and that you should never do that, so I know that. I know they're not new and they look perfect, so I wish I would have asked the previous owner what she did! I got a hardwood floor vacuum and some of the dry swiffer things, but again, do you ever do anything else? The kitchen and bathrooms also have that flooring and I don't like the idea that those surfaces are never going to have any cleaner on them. I always swiffered the kitchen/bathroom in my apartment.

Also, any magic tips for vacuuming stairs? The only carpet in the whole place is the stairs. This is the first time in my entire life, including as a child, that I've ever lived anywhere with stairs! I'm wondering if it ends up being faster to just use the handheld tool you would use for furniture.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-15-2019, 12:45 PM

Carpeted stairs—I used a powerful handheld vacuum (with cord). So happy to have no stairs in my condo.

Glasstop range—I use Windex Multisurface (for a wipe down) and Cerama Bryte (for cleaning—recommended by manufacturer).
https://www.amazon.com/Cerama-Bryte-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Granite—I have quartz and use Weiman “Granite & Stone daily cleaner and polisher.”
https://www.amazon.com/Weiman-Granit...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

potter403

Old 09-15-2019, 01:14 PM

I also use Weiman stone cleaner on the countertop and I use Barkeepers friend on the glass stove top.idont have laminate floors but when I did, I used a Clorox mop which is similar to wet sniffer. For carpet on stairs I do use the crevice tool.
potter403 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 09-15-2019, 02:23 PM

I don’t have laminate floors but I would think a damp mopping would be ok..... I think they just can’t have a soaking.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 09-15-2019, 02:39 PM

I vacuum and dry swifter my laminate. I also use bona for laminate on my floors. I spray and wipe it up immediately after, you can not let liquid sit on the flooring.
I’m surprised you have laminate in kitchen/bathrooms. I was strongly advised not to put it in area “wet” areas and kept my tile in those rooms.

https://us.bona.com/products/stl-cleaner-36oz.html

I use method spray or mr. Clean concentrated cleaner for everything else.
I stopped using Clorox wipes a long time ago.

I just felt they ran out so quickly for what you spend and weren’t great for the environment.

My stairs are laminate now but they were carpet for years. I just use my regular vacuum on them, a Shark.

Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Snicklesnack

Cleaning
Old 09-15-2019, 03:46 PM

Best thing for the stove top is a vinegar and water mixture in a spray bottle.
Snicklesnack is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 09-15-2019, 03:46 PM

My mom uses Windex on her stovetop and granite. I have used Swiffer products on my laminate for 2 years and it still looks new. I use an attachment to vacuum the stairs. I used to have a handheld rechargable thing (kinda like an old dustbuster).
ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Floors
Old 09-15-2019, 04:57 PM

I have laminate. Use as little moisture as possible. I have a microfiber mop (that also has tabs that allow me to use my own cloths). I use a solutions of equals parts water, vinegar and alcohol. I mix it in a spray bottle and spray the floor as I go. The vinegar cleans, the alcohol speeds drying.

Carpeted stairs: I purchased a Shark Navigator Lift-Off that makes it SOOOOO easy to vacuum stairs. I can attach the beater bar to the hose and carry it up and down the stairs. I love my Shark.

Don't have granite, so can't advise on that.

Last edited by Beach Glass; 09-15-2019 at 06:04 PM..
Beach Glass is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-17-2019, 06:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice! I got the Weiman stone cleaner for the countertops, and they also had one for cook tops so I got that as well. For the floors I got some wipes that look like the swiffer ones but are the Bona ones for laminate floors. That still makes me a bit nervous- I'm going to try those in the second bedroom/bathroom first and see what happens, and maybe stick to only using wet things like 1x per month or something. I am LOVING how much cleaner it looks over having carpet, which with the cat looked filthy all of the time/would start to look gross one day after vacuuming.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote