The VENT

These parents!

>

MsELA2020

MsELA2020

These parents!
Old 09-16-2019, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm really getting sick and tired of these petty emails that parents are sending us. It always the school's fault, the teacher's fault, the counselor's fault, and the world's fault. It's never their kid. And I use the word "kid" loosely. I cannot believe that the parents of 15-18 year olds are treating their teenage children like toddlers. They refuse to cut the cord and want to fight their every battle--even if that means making a "battle" of an issue that is not even that serious. There is no accountability. ACCOUNTABILITY. I don't why that has become such a dirty and taboo word. Students need to be held accountable for their behavior and academics. But when you hold a student accountable, you can bet that the parent is going to take it out on you. It's not all parents, of course. But it's enough of them to make me lose my mind.

The constant hovering and coddling just isn't enough. These parents have the nerve to send emails at all hours of the day and night with their demands. The latest include:

- a meeting to discuss why their student got a 5/10 on an INCOMPLETE homework assignment. (I will not go toe-to-toe with a parent over a 10-point homework assignment. I will not. If you submit an incomplete product, you will get credit for what you did complete. Such is the case with the 5/10. I am not taking time out of my day to negotiate 1 or 2 points. It's a total power move on the part of the parent and it's yet another excuse to not hold the student responsible.)

- exemptions from submitting work to Turnitin because the idea of a timed deadline gives their kid stress.

- an email to all core subject teachers demanding two weeks of work beginning next week because they are going on a cruise.

- demands to be able to retake tests that occur before 11:00am because he doesn't fully "wake up" until the afternoon.

- emails to the assistant principal about not having more than 1 chapter to read for homework because anything more would be "excessive."

- an email questioning why a seat was moved. When explaining that the seating chart was changed due to excessive talking on the part of the student, the parent claimed that we were "out to get" his son and demanded a meeting with the superintendent!

I. CANNOT. DO. THIS!

Oh, and we can't forget the social media groups that they've created (closed groups, of course) where they trash teachers for hours on end and essentially make a digital version of a "burn book." These are grown adults acting like catty teenagers. What an example they're setting for their own kids.

This is doing my head in. I'm becoming grumpy, cynical, and cranky. This is not who I am as a person and I don't like that my career has taken such a toll on me. Not to mention, I'm always exhausted and not really enjoying life because this career has consumed me. Education has broken me down and I have to be done with this. I've been devising an exit strategy from Education for the past year or so. I decided to give it one more year, but no more after this. Come June 2020 and I'm out. Everything about the system is broken, but these parents are completely out of control and running very talented teachers out of the classroom. For me, they have been the final straw. I don't know how I'm going to make it until June...

SubMan

Old 09-16-2019, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you met the parents who think their child is going to be the next Bill Gates because the student plays Fortnite constantly?

Or the parents who think they have the next Joe Montana because their kid went to a pro football camp and threw a couple of balls to an NFL player?

Or the parents who think they have the next Madonna, Britney, or Hannah Montana because their daughter was selected to sing in the church Christmas pageant?
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

And on the flip side..
Old 09-17-2019, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have actually taught a young woman who this year is going to the winter Olympics for the second time, a young man who was drafted and played in the NFL, a guy that played professional golf with the major players and a young woman who ended up in an famous opera company in NYC. What the parents that you referred to don't get is their parents encouraged them but never made a big deal out of their talent when they were in school and never asked for any special attention or any exceptions for them.
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-17-2019, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

MsELA, your sad but very believable post breaks my heart.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Old 09-17-2019, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I could have written your post. For the second day in a row, my ENTIRE planning time was spent responding to parent emails! (I have middle schoolers for academics.)

- Does my child know which assignments are missing? I gave a written notice to him when I handed work back to peers. We have an online grades program that would help be the same information. Umm, check his/her assignment notebook for the date I gave?

-"I disagree with your grade on an assignment because the book say "why..." & you said it was an outcome, not why." I explained my outcomes comment was what her child wrote, I agreed that he needed to answer why! He hadn't done that.

- TWO who said child DID the homework but HADN'T shown it to me. I can't correct what I don't get/see.

- TWO who asked why did U say my child hadn't gotten the notes from his/her absence one week ago? Umm, there were no notes on the pages when we reviewed for our upcoming quiz. It MIGHT have been why your son couldn't find all the answers to the HW questions last night. I write on the sheet given for absences, "get notes."

- Then, of course, the request for going on vacation NEXT week, 3 1/2 weeks into the school year...get all his work and give to him Friday. Ummm, handbook says after return. Also, Thursday is 1/2 day due to having to work that night for "parent night."

- There was a request to discuss an issue at parent night. Ummm, it's NOT conference night.

Ugh. Doubt I'll get all that work together when my planning times are used up this way.

sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote