Help

The VENT

How much is too much?

>

PeaceLoveRun

How much is too much?
Old 09-18-2019, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm new to my district, but not a new teacher. I've had my credential almost 20 years. This is my 6th year in Kindergarten. I've been working since early August and still have not gotten paid, but that's beside the point. I am required as a new teacher to do all these new teacher things and it's starting to really bug. First I had to go to an entire week of new teacher trainings, including one that was nothing more than us riding around in the bus looking at all the schools and restaurants in the town. Then I had to go to the regular district trainings. Then staff meetings, all before school started, 2 weeks worth. Then I have to meet with PLC about 3 times a week after school. Then I had to call a sub so I could go to another new teacher training that taught me everything I learned in my credential program 20 years ago. Then I had to go to a 2/1 interview with my principal and the assistant superintendent as a welcome to the district where they asked me all these personal questions about home/work balance and my history, etc., then presented me with a pamphlet about the district and an ink pen, then I got an email today that I am required to attend another new teacher banquet dinner in the late evening, no guests allowed, just me and other new teachers, so we can eat dinner with our admin and the board. Personally, I don't want to spend that much time outside of school, at school. My family is important and I don't see them nearly enough as it is. I don't have easy access to childcare and my husband works nights. It's just really frustrating!

PeaceLoveRun is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-18-2019, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I guess they really don't want actual new teachers to stay, do they?

I am pretty vocal and would probably be voicing my concerns big time. Especially if I hadn't been paid yet. Do you have a union or any contractual guidance on how much time outside of work hours you are expected to put in? That is a huge amount of time!
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

PeaceLoveRun

Yes
Old 09-18-2019, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The contract voices there will required time as needed, such as PLC, carnival, etc. It does not specifically say all these other things. If I would have known all these things, I would not have accepted this position, especially about the pay. In all the places I've worked, I've started in August, got paid in August. This is the first one I don't get paid until September 30. I should have continued subbing, at least then I would have gotten a paycheck!

kahluablast

Old 09-18-2019, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Have you asked someone higher up the chain about this? It really does sound like too much. Even new teachers who need support IN THE CLASSROOM, should not be expected to spend this much time doing things outside of class. Experienced teachers moving into a new district might need some of these activities, but enough is enough!
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Too much
Old 09-18-2019, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Changed my mind.

Last edited by Keltikmom; 09-18-2019 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: Changed my mind.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

PeaceLoveRun

Pay day
Old 09-18-2019, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our first pay day is September 30. They had some explanation, at my orientation, as to why that was. That was after I had already signed the contract. I am wishing every day that I never did!

twinmom95

Old 09-18-2019, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It may differ from state to state but I'm not sure that is even legal to have you work 6 weeks before you get paid. I would ask other teachers if this is how it typically works each year. I also might call the State Labor Board and ask about it.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

aly7123

Old 09-18-2019, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Wow that really is a lot of time spent outside of school hours! I find it odd that the principal talked to you about work/home balance and then expects you to do all of this. Hopefully as the first month of school passes, things will die down and there wonít be as much required extra stuff.

And I taught for a year in Virginia and didnít get my first pay until September 30. It was horrible and we were really scraping by the end of the month since my husband was having a hard time finding a job. I had to check to see if you were teaching down there but was surprised to see you were in another state. I didnít think many places paid like that. Iím now back in PA where I get paid every two weeks and itís much better that way.
aly7123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lv2play

Old 09-18-2019, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We start in services around July 25th. We do get a paycheck around 8/15 but that is still under the previous years contract. Brand new teachers will not get a paycheck until 9/15.
Lv2play is offline   Reply With Quote

forkids2

Old 09-20-2019, 04:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We get paid at the end of the month in our district. Teachers go back to work the last week in August, school begins the day after labor day, and we get our first paycheck for that school year on September 30. I think new teachers go in a week early for orientation type things. So if you were a new teacher you would be working from about mid-August til end of September before you got paid.

forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote

elsa4409

Old 09-21-2019, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

That sounds ridiculous!

As for the pay, my previous district would only pay you at the end of the month if you worked the entire month. So, a friend and I both got hired after the year started. My start day was October 1st and I was paid the last day of October. She started either October 8th (a week after me) or even earlier, but at most a week after me and did not get paid until the last day in November. I couldnít see how that was allowed
elsa4409 is offline   Reply With Quote