Help

BusyBoard

Flex seating experience/opinion

>

Luvetc3

Flex seating experience/opinion
Old 09-18-2019, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just wanting a bit of perspective. If you use flexible seating, how does it work in your room? What grade level? Are you fully flexible, or do you mix and match?
Thanks!

Luvetc3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 09-18-2019, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm in kinder. I have a standing table, a low to the floor table with cushions, a slanted table with regular chairs, a table with hokki stools, and they can use the floor. There are times when I am meeting with a group at the table with hokki stools, but otherwise I am fully flexible. I've been doing it for a long time - well before it was a "thing" - and I've always loved it with the exception of one year where the group just couldn't handle the freedom. I like give my choices as often as I can during the day, and seating is one of the easiest.

I think people get confused with flexible seating and alternative seating. Flexible seating is much more about options than about fancy stuff. My first few years I just dropped a table, raised one, and used the floor. It took me a while to get the funds for the rest, and it's all I need. I'm not going to add sofas or yoga balls or crate seats or anything like that.
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 09-18-2019, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a few different options.
  • traditional desks
  • table with regular chairs
  • table with stools
  • two standing desks
  • one small single desk with separate chair

Not a lot of differences, but enough that kids seem okay with it. I can’t handle to much.

I have 8th graders.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 09-18-2019, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

3rd grade, mix and match flex seating.

Usually it works well-but there is a novelty factor that they need to be aware of. The first few weeks the idea of "special seats" is very novel to a lot of young children and...well you know how it is when they are excited. We model the "right way", we set expectations, and we say what will happen if they aren't used correctly (I take it away and give you a regular chair-flex seating is a privilege not a right). I take them away A LOT at first-then they settle down and it becomes helpful for them-but right off the bat...WHoa Nelly.

I have:
5 Hokki Stools
https://www.kaplanco.com/product/244...h?c=1%7CFC1080

2 Kore wobble stools
https://www.amazon.com/Kore-Kids-Wob.../dp/B00DQAJ9KI

4 bucket chairs
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/172473860702035339/

3 bean bags

1 virco rocking chair
https://www.schooloutlet.com/Virco_Z...=google&back=2

And 2 standing desks
https://www.amazon.com/Safco-Product...12939051&psc=1

(trust me you are gonna want to remove the swinging metal foot rest-there is always a kid who want to stand on it and swing)

2 book boats
https://mrsbarnesbunch.blogspot.com/...ook-boats.html
(I made my cushions for these out of a cheap foam mattress pad and some discount fabric)

I also have traditional desks
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 09-20-2019, 01:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Everyone has a "home base" at a table in my room.

I have a few wobble stools and other stools for kids to use at desks. I have three ball chairs (with little udders to keep them from rolling!) also.

I let students work independently on the floor if they want (we have carpeted rooms). I have cushions and two low beach chairs students can use. I also have a few higher stools for them to work at the counter. Many just prefer to stand at their table spots.

I have had groups that cannot handle flexible seating - even after going over expectations several times and modeling expectations, they still threw pillows during guidance class or were bouncing the ball seats like balls. They would also take seating choices away from other students when they got up for any reason.

choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Students still need their own spaces.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My first foray into alternative work areas was standing tables that I made myself. None of my students self-selected the standing stations.

I have two corners with squishy floor tiles and big pillows that I made fifteen years ago or so. They have become favored group work stations.

With the push to move away from traditional desks, I worry about those children who don't have much. For some of them, "their" desk is one of the few things that feels like it's theirs. I know of kids who feel disconnected everywhere else in their lives, and a simple student desk that is their own spot is a place of belonging and stability.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote