The VENT

So frustrated

>

Gobsmack

Gobsmack

So frustrated
Old 09-19-2019, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am so discouraged with the trend of pandering to students.

Believe me, I understand that some students have experienced trauma that impacts them in multiple ways. I understand that each student is unique and should be treated as an individual. I believe all students can learn.

I am disgusted that so many administrators take those facts and twist them to mean that students are never accountable for their own choices. Specifically, Iím frustrated that admin has no consistent expectations-there are exceptions to everything- and will chide staff for asking students to walk quietly, pick up lunch things left behind, follow directions.

I know Iím preaching to the choir, but where does it end. I am well and truly afraid for the future adults who have never been held responsible for ANYTHING!

70Primrose

Old 09-20-2019, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Amen! I think you work at my school. We all feel we can do no right in the eyes of our principal. Gold stars flow for students with bad behavior, but we get scolded if we let a parent know their child is not behaving. The parents know they can come in and complain to her that we are not nice because we didnít say something nice about their child and then she will get on our case. Sometimes there is nothing nice to say.
70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 09-20-2019, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes. I have seen too many situations in which it is expected that teachers will put up with all manner of disrespectful and abusive behavior and still always smile and say only positive things. I have seen too many situations in which students are sent out of the classroom for appallingly bad behavior and are sent back with treats. We are now told how many positive things we are required to say before we are allowed to (gently) correct behavior.

We (schools/administrators/teachers) have already created a society in which employers have to constantly provide food and other incentives for workers to do the basics of their jobs and follow the rules for employment. We have already created a society in which employees might cry, yell or walk out if they're harshly reprimanded or written up for inappropriate behavior at work. (If you don't believe this is true, talk to anybody in industry who is in a supervisory position.) We are now dealing with the children of this generation. I have a 4K student who is being treated because she is "sensitive." All redirections must be accompanied by "compliments." I can only imagine what she will be like to deal with when she hits middle school. Fortunately, I won't be there to see it.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-20-2019, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I am disgusted that so many administrators take those facts and twist them to mean that students are never accountable for their own choices.
Yes, yes, yes! Iím so happy to be retired.

Years ago, I had a really awful student, mean and nasty and sneaky, whose father only defended him. I finally went to my P over a terrible incident and she replied, ďOh poor BillyBob.Ē Ugh, no help there.

I can hardly imagine Toriís mandate to deal with ďsensitive.Ē Really, shivers up my spine.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

UniversalDes

Currently there
Old 09-20-2019, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had one 9 year old scream at me today because in our Drama Groups we had to double up roles because we have so many in our three groups during our Enrichment time. I wanted this student to work with one of my Kinders since he is still learning how to act and behave normally we have two teachers for our Drama Club but the other was out so it was just me vs 40 K-5 students and a sub who had no clue despite my attempts to fill her in on what we do. This girl first screamed that I was reading the wrong version of The Three Little Pigs (we were reading The True Story of the Three Little Pigs), then she kept talking while I was trying to read and I had to gently redirect her, and then when I broke out the Drama Groups to go and reenact, she said that she is always the main character when I told her that I wanted her to help that Kinder also be the Big Bad Wolf (partner Wolfs) she screamed, threw a fit, and then told me I was stupid, an idiot, and that I should never be a teacher.

In my eight years of teaching, I have never had a student act as she did today. I went to my Admin after wards and it turns out the child had a 504 plan that I wasn't aware of and just to let the child do whatever she wants because she has thrown food, thrown tempers, thrown desks, and basically comes from a traumatic life. I fear what she will become in a few years when she goes to the Middle/High School.

Had I known about the 504 plan, I would have curbed the behavior before it started. Now I'm shaken to the core and still trying to process though I gave her several chances to redirect and calm herself down before the major meltdown.

Ugh....it makes me want to leave the profession for a second time.

-UD

UniversalDes is offline   Reply With Quote

Waikru

Old 09-21-2019, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Ugh!! I am with all of you. I cannot stand the coddling either. At my school we are not allowed to put a student's clip down for bad behavior in front of others. It is ridiculous. Afraid for my own future as these are the people that will be running the country one day when I'm old.
Waikru is offline   Reply With Quote

1tired

Same here.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Last yr ( after almost 30), I got out of the regular classroom into an easier job at the same school.
I am hoping to retire either after this yr or 1 more. It has all gotten to be too much. Where I am, we already have a generation of kids who are parents who have been pandered to and we are raising their children.
( With our hands tied behind our backs)
1tired is offline   Reply With Quote